Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sway Bar Install and Now Weird Sounds?

Quick question. I had my BMR front and rear sways, OEM LCA's, OEM rear end links and Detroit Speed front end links installed today.

I just got out of the alignment as well.

My question is, I had never upgraded sways before, but should there be more sound? it almost sounds like rubbing sounds, when I am on uneven roads. It is raining up here so didn't get a lot of time or quality turning in to see if it just needs to be broken in.

Is this normal? Or maybe needs some grease on the bushings?

Also, where should I really experience the power of new sways? High speed cornering?
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
The best place to test out new sway bars is at the track, or autocross course.

You shouldn't ever be driving at the limit on the street to the point you should notice how much sway bars affect the handling.

In order to truly test out sways you need to be close to the limits of traction and see whether both ends keep equal traction or one end loses it before the other.

Honestly, upgraded sways really won't help you much on the street in my opinion. It might feel different but to truly appreciate it you need to be on the track in my opinion.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
you should put bushing lube on the inside of the bushings for the front and rear swaybars, they should not make any noise.

Additionally, you need to tighten the LCA's with the car on the wheels at ride height,
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:37 AM   #4
TwentyTen2SSRS

Oh damn.. I'll have to try that. How do I get in there to tighten at ride height? Car is lowered as well
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 04-04-2015, 12:38 AM   #5
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
The best place to test out new sway bars is at the track, or autocross course.

You shouldn't ever be driving at the limit on the street to the point you should notice how much sway bars affect the handling.

In order to truly test out sways you need to be close to the limits of traction and see whether both ends keep equal traction or one end loses it before the other.

Honestly, upgraded sways really won't help you much on the street in my opinion. It might feel different but to truly appreciate it you need to be on the track in my opinion.

Yeah I agree and will be at track was where I was referencing. I've already can tell a difference easily on the street as well around some of the corkscrew hills I have to take to get up and down from where I live On a hill
Old 04-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #6
Rob@WretchedMS

If you have ramps to drive up on you can use those, or an alignment rack is always a nice place to do it if you have access or are willing to pay someone. (though they may not understand what you are talking about)

These might be helpful, i need to update them a bit, but they are still helpful.

Camaro-G8_Alignment_Techsheet.pdf
Camaro-G8_Bushing Timing-1.pdf
Old 04-04-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
TwentyTen2SSRS

Thanks rob! Would it help if I took a picture of the alignment specs and where they adjusted me to?

I had my bushings timed after I installed my lowering springs about a year ago, they wouldn't need to be retimed right since I didn't adjust ride height again?

Just trying to figure out what I could tell the shop who installed OR Firestone where I got the alignment...

If helpful I'll snap a pic of alignment pre and post specs they did
Old 04-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #8
Rob@WretchedMS

You just need to worry about the new parts that you installed.
During the alignment the inboard bolt should have been loosened, so you should be good.
(I, for reasons unknown to science, thought you were talking about the front control arms)
Old 04-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
You've gotten some good info here so far - let us know how it goes
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:12 AM   #10
TwentyTen2SSRS

Thanks seems to have worked itself out over last week after I greased some more