Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
purv24

Drives: Black 2ss
hypothetical question regarding state inspections

Okay, heres the deal, I live in texas last year I paid a guy $50 for an inspection sticker, my Camaro would not pass because of the window tint.

Also, I do not put the license plate on the front, all the lights are blacked out etc.

The thing is, I work in Oklahoma, and I have come to find out that in Oklahoma they don't do yearly state inspections and they do not require front license plates.

Some of my coworkers told me just to get a PO box in the city I work and register my car to that po box.

How would I go about this, and would it effect anything on my other vehicles? Or my CDL license?
purv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
This doesn't sound hypothetical at all.

If I were to post this, I would rephrase the post. See what I did there?
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Unless your military, it might not work. At least not unless you get a new drivers lisence and changed your residency from Texas to OK, also. It really depends on OKs laws. I know Nevada lets people have a dual residency as long as you spend a minimum amount of time in the state and have a residence there.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Hell, I went to the inspection station and got inspected with no cats, LTs, TSP 3" duals, EGR delete, oh, and a retarded cam. Guy just said "Wow, that thing is loud" then scraped off the old sticker....texas inspection is easy, just go to a hole in the wall place in a small town. Now having that inspection sticker doesn't mean you can't get a ticket for having illegal shit on your car....
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
timtoolman24

Drives: 2012 LS3 2SS/RS
Ya just because you have a sticker doesnt mean you wont get a ticket for all the illegal things done to your car. Just do like I did and remove the inspection sticker completly, its a 50$ fine for no inspection sticker or a 250$ fine for expired sticker in louisiana. Most states dont require stickers so a cop wont pull you over for no sticker.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
your playing with fire buddy. you get pulled for one of those things and the cops sees a brand new inspection sticker on the window and he's probably going to put 2 and 2 together. at that point you might have your car impounded, and the inspector buddy that sold it to you is going to loose his inspectors licenses. it's pretty obvious whats going on when you have a good sticker and several obvious things that should cause you to fail one.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
mth35115

Drives: 2010 Camaro rs/ss inferno orange
See if they will let you get mail where you work, then you have a legal mailing address in Oklahoma. You might need to tell your insurance company you have Oklahoma plates, but then you are good to go.

HOT ROD SS
MTH35115
mth35115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mth35115 View Post
See if they will let you get mail where you work, then you have a legal mailing address in Oklahoma. You might need to tell your insurance company you have Oklahoma plates, but then you are good to go.

not really good to go as your breaking the law. vehicles have to be registered where you have residency. using a PO box is just skirting the law. you can get away with it for awhile I'm sure, but once TX finds out they're more than likely going to hit the OP with fines, penalties, and back taxes (if TX uses personal property taxes) and anything else they can find. He's also going to have a mess on his hands if he were to get in an accident and the insurance company found out what he was doing. probably grounds for denying a claim.

in order to do what he wants to do I'm pretty sure he'd have to establish residency in in OK. I'm sure that's possible, but I doubt a PO box is enough to do it. and if he did, I'm sure OK would be wanting state income tax and other things.

opening a pretty big can of worms to avoid some tint tickets.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Funny how people here make fun of Californians for having to have our cars checked for smog, yet you guys have yearly inspections and a mere window tint won't pass you

Sorry had to do it.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Sounds like it's time to get rid of your tint.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #11
citabria7
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagoCountyGee View Post
Funny how people here make fun of Californians for having to have our cars checked for smog, yet you guys have yearly inspections and a mere window tint won't pass you

Sorry had to do it.
AZ is better. Smog check only in a few counties. Other than that...nothing else..and no front plate.
citabria7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
After living in Texas I preferred California SMOG. Inspection in Texas is every year and they place a stupid giant sticker on your windshield which reduces visibility.

Plus I don't know if OK has income tax but trying to claim residency in OK to avoid inspection could cause trouble come tax time.
Darwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria7 View Post
AZ is better. Smog check only in a few counties. Other than that...nothing else..and no front plate.

that's the way it is here in VA. the counties around DC and VA beach/Norfolk have it but everyone else is free. though we do have the annual safety inspections.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwood View Post
After living in Texas I preferred California SMOG. Inspection in Texas is every year and they place a stupid giant sticker on your windshield which reduces visibility.

Plus I don't know if OK has income tax but trying to claim residency in OK to avoid inspection could cause trouble come tax time.
Huh? Cali smog? I don't see how having a sticker on your window for like $20 bucks a year is not better than having to hook your car up to a machine and also having the worry about getting sent to a ref if you have a modified car....
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote