Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
anyone hear this?

When in reverse sometimes I hear this grinding sound when I apply the brakes. Not all the time, only at random times. Anyone else? Also when going from a dead stop a pulsating sound when going forward.....

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAkrish View Post
When in reverse sometimes I hear this grinding sound when I apply the brakes. Not all the time, only at random times. Anyone else? Also when going from a dead stop a pulsating sound when going forward.....
Sometimes, overnight rust can cause this when backing out of the driveway. I hear it in the morning but usually not the rest of the day.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

the sound both times is coming from the middle of the car

Old 09-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
the sound both times is coming from the middle of the car
Name:  huh.gif
Views: 299
Size:  322 Bytes Is it loud. Soul=nd like you could even hear it if you were outside the car?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

not sure, its sounds like when i break im scraping the ground

Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
not sure, its sounds like when i break im scraping the ground

I know that on my Jeep, I had worn my pads down to the metal (I know) but the rotors got mared up and the sound sounded like it was coming from underneath. Now obviously your pads and rotors aren't worn but could still be in the system.

But sounds to me like you better get under there and see if you have any visible thing going on and I'd get it to the dealer. That's not normal.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Sometimes, overnight rust can cause this when backing out of the driveway. I hear it in the morning but usually not the rest of the day.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post

I know that on my Jeep, I had worn my pads down to the metal (I know) but the rotors got mared up and the sound sounded like it was coming from underneath. Now obviously your pads and rotors aren't worn but could still be in the system.

But sounds to me like you better get under there and see if you have any visible thing going on and I'd get it to the dealer. That's not normal.
I had bought a 96 blazer and at bought a 1000 miles I started hearing this ungodly grinding/scraping sound coming from bottom of my blazer I got out to inspect and my back right brake had seized enough to wear the breaks all way to the metal and that might be a possibility luckily since it was just one they fixed it under warrintie stating that not normal wear & tear. Good luck if you find out exactly post so others know what to look for!
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytophummer View Post
I had bought a 96 blazer and at bought a 1000 miles I started hearing this ungodly grinding/scraping sound coming from bottom of my blazer I got out to inspect and my back right brake had seized enough to wear the breaks all way to the metal and that might be a possibility luckily since it was just one they fixed it under warrintie stating that not normal wear & tear. Good luck if you find out exactly post so others know what to look for!

Ya, either way, I'd damn sure be visibly looking under the car AND taking it to the dealer.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

well i was just underneath it about 2 hours ago (tightening MBRP Pipes) and there is no problems that I can see.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
Zeus95

Drives: IOM 2010 - 2SS/RS
I have heard this a few times backing out of the garage in the monring. I was assuming it was rust on the rotors as well. That is the only time I hear it. Let me know if you find out anything from the dealer.
2010 2SS/RS IOM Upgrades: Fastlane CAI / SLP II Loudmouth axle back / V Max Ported TB / Kook's Step Long Tube Headers / High flow cats / Straightline Tune / BMR front & rear sway bars / Hotchkin End Links / Hurst Short Throw. LG ZR28 Wheels 1 of 2 sets made. Pfadt trailing arms / Diff Bushings & Sub Frame bushings / 1LE Axle & Hubs.
Zeus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
It is most likely your rear brakes. They can take a long time to seat properly and will often times make a scrubbing noise when new. This is more common on performance brakes such as yours. Alternatively, I have had the exact same symptoms from a worn out u-joint. However it was on my parents 2001 Suburban after they had clocked 75k+ miles. One of the bearing caps had run dry and was rusted inside. Very unlikely on a new car but still a possibility.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
I hear it often too. The scenario is usually backing out of an inclined driveway. If I gas it a lil bit and then hit the brakes (so I'm rolling in reverse) I hear that "scraping" sound. I have no idea what it is.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

these all sound like the same instance......