Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #127
xSSkier874

Drives: 17 Silverado, 99 Miata
hell of a drive is right... it took me 2 hrs to drive about 40 miles on the 405... but i took the opportunity to have some fun when there was light traffic and man does she pull.
xSSkier874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #128
jpetro
JPetro

Drives: 02 Sunfire
Those numbers seem a little low, but if that what he wants good luck. Every test I seen has been over 600rwhp, Edmunds test was at 603rwhp and that was with stock exhaust and a conservative tune I believe. I want to break that 631, maybe go for 8.5psi. I've talked to Vortech techs and others and they all say the 630 range should be no problem especially with headers and a good aftermarket exhaust. Heck they back it with a 3/36 warranty, they should know what their talking about. 631 got his baby up to 186mph in 5th and has over 18,000 on it. V3 is good for 750 at the fly, I know when I get mine done which should be just about sea level if I don't get 635rw I will definitely have whomever I have doing it on the phone to get it there before I sign the check. At $7,000+ for system and install I want to see the hp. If I take care of it and do all the fluid changes I expect to get the miles out of it. In the Northeast I doubt I will find some stretch to safely get to 186 but I had my Chevelle to 150 before the front end started to get light. I really think that GM took their time with the L99 and I have total faith that it will hold up and handle the increase psi. I have never gotten less the 225,000 out of every GM engine I owned, if I get 150 to 175 out of this I will be totally happy. Than again I could find myself buying a new engine after 3 years, but I'll have fun with for the 3/36.

Soon to oun a 2SS/RS Silver Ice with a chrome snail thing under hood, Pedders Sport, Hawk pads, ARH exhust system. Spring project: Pedders Coil overs and Brake package tba
jpetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #129
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetro View Post
Those numbers seem a little low, but if that what he wants good luck. Every test I seen has been over 600rwhp, Edmunds test was at 603rwhp and that was with stock exhaust and a conservative tune I believe. I want to break that 631, maybe go for 8.5psi. I've talked to Vortech techs and others and they all say the 630 range should be no problem especially with headers and a good aftermarket exhaust. Heck they back it with a 3/36 warranty, they should know what their talking about. 631 got his baby up to 186mph in 5th and has over 18,000 on it. V3 is good for 750 at the fly, I know when I get mine done which should be just about sea level if I don't get 635rw I will definitely have whomever I have doing it on the phone to get it there before I sign the check. At $7,000+ for system and install I want to see the hp. If I take care of it and do all the fluid changes I expect to get the miles out of it. In the Northeast I doubt I will find some stretch to safely get to 186 but I had my Chevelle to 150 before the front end started to get light. I really think that GM took their time with the L99 and I have total faith that it will hold up and handle the increase psi. I have never gotten less the 225,000 out of every GM engine I owned, if I get 150 to 175 out of this I will be totally happy. Than again I could find myself buying a new engine after 3 years, but I'll have fun with for the 3/36.
Hello Jpetro, I know your excited and have been doing a ton of research so I would like to clear a few things up for you,

In order to qualify for the 3/36 Powertrain Warrantee the system must be installed as delivered from Vortech, with Vortechs Soft Tuning, NO headers, NO Custom Tuning, and NO pulley change, No Camshaft etc, and starts at the date of Purchase Of the CAR not the supercharger.

These cars DON'T make 631 RWHP on 7.5 PSI boost on Pump gas.

At sea level at 7.5 psi with headers and custom tuning I would expect to see 550-580 RWHP on an otherwise stock LS3.

It will take 9-10 PSI to make over 600 RWHP, NOT Safe on PUMP GAS.

Now combine that with a Cam and that is a whole other subject 650 should be within reach but no guarantees.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me, I would be happy to help you choose the components to reach your goal.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #130
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Hello Jpetro, I know your excited and have been doing a ton of research so I would like to clear a few things up for you,

In order to qualify for the 3/36 Powertrain Warrantee the system must be installed as delivered from Vortech, with Vortechs Soft Tuning, NO headers, NO Custom Tuning, and NO pulley change, No Camshaft etc, and starts at the date of Purchase Of the CAR not the supercharger.

At sea level at 7.5 psi with headers and custom tuning I would expect to see 550-580 RWHP on an otherwise stock LS3.

Now combine that with a Cam and that is a whole other subject 650 should be within reach but no guarantees.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me, I would be happy to help you choose the components to reach your goal.

Ted.
EXACTLY!!!!
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #131
Steve@AandACorvette

Drives: Cars
Quote:

Ted.
Steve@AandACorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #132
racerx333
NAPA GENERAL

Drives: 2010 2ssrs ry ls3 02 ss slp
631 rwhp?

steve@a a perf, rich dude, jannetty racing

are you guys basically saying that the boys in co at rmcr have posted incorrect

numbers for their install? you refer to the 631rwhp as its impossible to do as they have posted?

RMCR CUSTOM HOTROD 684RWHP!
racerx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #133
xSSkier874

Drives: 17 Silverado, 99 Miata
you guys really need to do some research and get your facts straight

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...full-test.html

look at the article the 603 hp is at the crank that is also with a corsa catback... or atleast all the other numbers in the article are so i would guess it the same. do some quick math with a 15% drive train loss and 603hp x 0.85=512.55whp

also read the thread i have the L99 exhaust on my car which just by looking at the differences you can see is more restrictive meaning i easily would have hit the 500whp mark if i had the LS3 exhaust.

Third the the car in CO had a full exhaust on it. Mine is still stock which would I'm guessing is good for another 50-60whp if not more on a boosted car. Well find out soon as mine is going on today with any luck

The biggest thing you guys need to remember is its not all about the numbers on the dyno. Ask any experienced tuner or any tuner at all and they will tell you every dyno will read different especially between the different brands. Quick example: when i had my cobalt reading the threads with the mods i had some people were posting up 250-260whp. I dynoed at 225whp on with the same mods. I figured something was wrong and took it to another shop just to make sure and guess what i all of a sudden made 255whp just by putting it on a new dyno.
xSSkier874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #134
jpetro
JPetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
631 was at 6100 rpm. The 7.5 psi was at over 6000 ft altitude, if I go to
sea level it will be boosting around 9 psi without changing the pulley.
I didn't have any other engine mods.
So you are saying that this is incorrect and what the Vortech techs told me is also incorrect. I might have misunderstood but I will call Vortech again on Monday for the 4x just to check again, I will also see if they will join us on this thread to clear things up

Soon to oun a 2SS/RS Silver Ice with a chrome snail thing under hood, Pedders Sport, Hawk pads, ARH exhust system. Spring project: Pedders Coil overs and Brake package tba
Old 11-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #135
jpetro
JPetro

Quote:

Ted.
I stand Corrected

I was wrong. The other car had headers and other mods which would account for the increase in RWHP. I found a copy of the Vortech warranty and think that this would be of benifit to other members:

"EXCLUDED USES WHICH CAUSE THIS WARRANTY TO BE VOID:
1. Use of the Vehicle for any commercial purpose or in the commission of a crime or infraction; 2. All diesel applications; 3. Installation of a lift kit
and/or oversized tires and/or wheels on the Vehicle; 4. Installation or use of headers, pulley(ies), camshaft, bolt-on performance enhancement parts, or
nitrous oxide systems on the Vehicle, unless sold by Vortech for use in connection with the Kit, or approved in writing by the Administrator, after it has
obtained the consent of Vortech, for use on the specific Vehicle identified in this Warranty; 5. Participation in, or the preparation of the Vehicle for,
racing or other competitive activities; 6. The removal or modification of Kit components without the express written permission of the Administrator, after
it has obtained consent by Vortech. 7. Covered Components have been tampered with or altered after the original engine installation. All risk of such
damages cause by alterations and tampering are solely with You. 8. If the Vehicle's data recorders, or any other evidence, indicates that the Vehicle's
transmission exceeds or exceeded the maximum OEM torque output; 9. Damages caused by continued operation of an impaired vehicle and Covered
Components driven to destruction. It is Your sole responsibility to use all necessary precautions to protect the Vehicle from further damage if the
Vehicle's operation is impaired. Continued operation of an impaired Vehicle after any type of mechanical failure constitutes failure to protect the
Vehicle from any further damage, is negligence by the Owner or driver of the Vehicle, and voids the Warranty."

Thank you Ted for your information and post. Maybe you can help me and other members following this thread with this. I found this on Vortech's own site in the "Customer Support" section called "Frequently Asked Questions"

Will a Vortech supercharger system void my factory warranty?

The installation of Vortech products, except those defined as "for racing use only" do not void the new vehicle warranty nor should they cause the vehicle to fail emissions tests. Notify the vehicle manufacturer if either of these situations occur. If the vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, you may contact the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, call the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. Additional information is available at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) website www.sema.org.

The way I read this, and I could be wrong, is that installing a Vortech V3 "will not" void the GM drive train warranty. Since you are a Top Installer is this correct?

Old 11-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #136
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
I stand Corrected

The way I read this, and I could be wrong, is that installing a Vortech V3 "will not" void the GM drive train warranty. Since you are a Top Installer is this correct?
If the engine, transmission, rear axle, fails and you bring it in for warranty repair with a supercharger on it, what do you think the service manager is going to say????

If modifications can be related to the failure your SOL.

I used to work at a Chevrolet Dealer and in my experience, Warranty coverage is at the descression of the service manager and GM will Back his decision with they're lawyers.

Yes you can fight it but I don't know anyone who has successfully, but that is just me.

I has never stopped me from modifying any of my vehicles, I take full responsibility for modification to my own vehicles.

Ted.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #137
jpetro
JPetro

Quote:

I has never stopped me from modifying any of my vehicles, I take full responsibility for modification to my own vehicles.

Ted.
Hummmm.... Interesting statement. Kinda leaves the customer out there on a limb. Maybe I should reconsider where I have my work done on my vehicle.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #138
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Hummmm.... Interesting statement. Kinda leaves the customer out there on a limb. Maybe I should reconsider where I have my work done on my vehicle.
Not sure how to Interpret this statement.

My Answer was Regarding GM Warranty, and the message was, If you modify your vehicle, Except responsibility, don't expect GM to foot the bill if something breaks due to your modifications.

If you Want your Vehicle to be covered 100% by it's factory warranty DON'T Modifiy it in any way shape or form.

Even then the Service Manager can Play the Abuse Card if something in the drivetrain breaks.

We Supercharge/turbocharge 1000s of vehicles from all brands, When done correctly they live a happy life even under usage of full power on a regular baisis, this does not mean that Parts will never fail, but we take every precaution to prevent it.

Call me to discuss in full detail so there is no assumptions.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 11-23-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #139
RockyMtnCamaro

Drives: 2007 Avalanche, 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
Quote:

Ted.
I don't think I've seen a response to this... Am I misuderstanding, or are you saying that MTCWBY's Vortech installed by RMCR is not putting out the power claimed?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #140
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Guys...Installing a supercharger voids your GM FACTORY (fixed!) DRIVETRAIN warranty immediately, no questions asked.

Vortech's offer has NOTHING to do with a dealership warranty offer folks. Vortech is providing a warranty from an insurance company they work with for their own SEPERATE WARRANTY OFFER of 3 year/36,000 miles powertrain warranty just like all other supercharger companies.

I think the below is something most folks getting installed at Top Tier locations are simply not aware of...

Vortech Powertrain Warranty Void: 4. Installation or use of headers

Your customer drops $6k+ on a supercharger and is expected not to modify the obvious (exhaust manifolds) to be covered by an additional expensed warranty?

Wonder if Magnacharger/Procharger has this in their warranty void section.

Reading now!

Last edited by 2Tightwads; 11-23-2009 at 02:16 PM.
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote