Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Smile IF THEY BUILD THEM WILL YOU BUY THEM?

Can there be any question that the current horsepower war is about to come crashing to an end?

Of course, it's not over until it's over.

When the Camaro comes out later this year, I've got to believe Chevy will do everything in its power to top the 425 hp available in the Challenger's 6.1 L HEMI.

And then the Mustang will need something to top that.

And then Dodge has a +500 hp 6.4 L version of the HEMI in the works to trump whatever they do.

Don't they see what's about to happen?

by John McElroy

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/11/a...oy_challenger/

Yep, We see it Johnny and we're loving every minute of it!

camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Oh, it'll happen. And, GM won't let anyone else win that horsepower war...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
swazworth
the nerd king

Drives: 2005 scion xb...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Oh, it'll happen. And, GM won't let anyone else win that horsepower war...
i think that too.... so the question is what is going to go into the 2011 camaros? i'm not saying the 2010 will not be impressive. but the next year will be sick. because everyone else will have there answer to the camaro by then. that is when i think they are really going to Destroy the competition.
swazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
oh yes, it's going 2 happen just like it did between 67-71. then the emissions control struck. history repeats itself. except now, the ricers are in on it 2! w/ the nissan gtr, i bet mitsubishi might bring back the 3000 gt, and toyota might break out the supra, and honda...well, they'll just make a lawn mower
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I say the more the merrier. They'll just keep getting more powerful and have to stay affordable. And with the GM GenV motors on the way.... I'm thinking GM is in a pretty good spot right now.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
But here's my question: would you buy an emasculated version of a "muscle" car with a four-banger? Or one with batteries and electric motors? Or a fuel cell? Or does the industry need a new definition as to what constitutes muscle?

There is no way in hell in my lifetime that a change in the definition to what American Muscle Car stands for should ever occur. No public school Inconvenient Truth/Al Gore green friendly indoctrination class should ever put the word muscle car and hybrid/4cylinder in the same page.. The V6 Camaro might be faster than a 1998 Mustang GT, however in my book, simply because it has a V6 engine that pales in comparison to the V8 in the same technological year, you can't call the lesser model a Muscle car just because it looks like one. A changing of the definition should never happen and a marketing campaign trying to change the definition.. (New Slogan= Redefining what you call American Muscle) We are already getting that from Fbodfather in snipets (forget all you know about engine's).. cozzying us up for a change, probably because of environmental standards and so forth.. I think now I am going to wait for the 2010 SRT8 with the 7.0 Liter 600HP engine in it. This article has those numbers wrong as it has been confirmed or leaked that the new Hemi will be 7.0 liters and offer over 600HP. In either case, that puts it in a whole other category.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
The trick for those of us that would have bought a ZL1 Camaro in 1969 but weren't alive or didn't have the means then, is to take the gamble on wich will be the "sickest" 5th gen and try to get our hands on one.

I think swazworth nailed it, 2011 will 1up 2010! And 2012? 45th Anniversary? CAFE? So many factors to consider. When will it peak and will we be able to time the purchase right or will we be searching the used car market to find the most wicked Camaro ever to come from GM with a warranty!?

Personnaly, I'm considering leasing one of the early v8 Camaros just so I can have something cool to drive while saving my down payment for something special to come later...
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
There is no way in hell in my lifetime that a change in the definition to what American Muscle Car stands for should ever occur. No public school Inconvenient Truth/Al Gore green friendly indoctrination class should ever put the word muscle car and hybrid/4cylinder in the same page.. The V6 Camaro might be faster than a 1998 Mustang GT, however in my book, simply because it has a V6 engine that pales in comparison to the V8 in the same technological year, you can't call the lesser model a Muscle car just because it looks like one. A changing of the definition should never happen and a marketing campaign trying to change the definition.. (New Slogan= Redefining what you call American Muscle) We are already getting that from Fbodfather in snipets (forget all you know about engine's).. cozzying us up for a change, probably because of environmental standards and so forth.. I think now I am going to wait for the 2010 SRT8 with the 7.0 Liter 600HP engine in it. This article has those numbers wrong as it has been confirmed or leaked that the new Hemi will be 7.0 liters and offer over 600HP. In either case, that puts it in a whole other category.
Agree on the Indoctrination/Al Gore/Global warming Hoax stuff and it makes me sick. (Just saying I agree to those out there who believe in it, I Don't want a Thread Hijack)

I don't think though that Fbodfather ment THAT when he said "forget what you know." Things such as the AFM LS3 in the GXP were not around then. Still not around technically cause that car isn't even out yet. I kinda think that is more along the lines of what he ment though. Just imo....
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Actually there doesn't have to be a big horsepower war. Ford is way behind. Dodge's car is so heavy, you have to get the $37,000 version to keep up with what will be the $25,000-30,000 "regular" V8 Camaro.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
kinyu

Drives: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokn' View Post
toyota might break out the supra
I keep hearing that too
http://www.2008toyotasupra.net/
kinyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think the HP war is over. Or at least it will be in a few years. There comes a point where adding components to increase power (i.e. larger engines, superchargers, etc) also increases weight to the point of diminishing returns.

I see a performance war coming. One that GM isn't going to sit back and watch. With electric cars (meaning instant, massive torque) on the horizon, and next-gen IC engines with E85, and biodiesel, I can see cars getting lighter, engines getting smaller (not V8 turns into a V6, but BIG V8 turns into a medium V8, like a 305), and general accel, and handling increasing.

So...am I afraid our sports cars will experience a repeat of the 70's, and 80's? Um, No. Whatever you may be told, this is a different time, we're not going to get half-baked cars that are shells af what they once were.

We may yet have another HP war in the future, one that will be between Biofuel engines, and electric motors...but this one is coming to a close, imho.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
If they built it, I will buy it.

500hp +
Old 04-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I think the HP war is over. Or at least it will be in a few years. There comes a point where adding components to increase power (i.e. larger engines, superchargers, etc) also increases weight to the point of diminishing returns.

I see a performance war coming. One that GM isn't going to sit back and watch. With electric cars (meaning instant, massive torque) on the horizon, and next-gen IC engines with E85, and biodiesel, I can see cars getting lighter, engines getting smaller (not V8 turns into a V6, but BIG V8 turns into a medium V8, like a 305), and general accel, and handling increasing.

So...am I afraid our sports cars will experience a repeat of the 70's, and 80's? Um, No. Whatever you may be told, this is a different time, we're not going to get half-baked cars that are shells af what they once were.

We may yet have another HP war in the future, one that will be between Biofuel engines, and electric motors...but this one is coming to a close, imho.
You're being realistic and pessimistic at the same time here. I don't believe the HP war will ever be over, but perhaps the era of adding liters to increase power are over since we are at a point of diminishing returns already and gas prices aren't getting any cheaper. However Dodge is getting rid of the Viper not because it isn't selling well, but because it needs to make the Challenger its top dog car so that it can actually release an SRT8 with 700HP because of environmental wacko "green" regulations being imposed on all car companies. Now that global warming is being seen as what it is...a money making/sucking hoax... Environmentalist progressive liberals are scurrying around trying to change the movement from "global warming" to "climate change" and hope people forget about that word since a cooling is occurring at the moment and the planet appears to be more resilient than older computer models once predicted.

In either case, I am getting off-topic here with my diatribe.. I have to believe there are more American's out there that would rather want to see American Muscle actually stand for what it always stood for. I want Top Gear's Clarkson to still make fun of American car's for being too heavy and having a huge engine in them with massive amounts of power making a lot of noise. I can't cozy up to gradually creating smaller engines that can go as fast with a supercharger and make a whine like a Japanese sports car without offering a monster engine in a top model. I like Dodge's approach here which is to keep making the Hemi and making it larger, faster and louder while still offering a V6 version for the Challenger for those who want the car but either can't afford the top of the line model or want to save on gas. I don't care if the car weighs a ton, it is still American and very fast in a strait line .

One thing is certain, there is a muscle car interest revival that includes the Mustang, Challenger and eventually the Camaro once more. It is time to bring out a Firebird using the Camaro's body and it'll be a glorious couple years. There will be other's around the world wishing they could own one of these as well...
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
the government wants gas to rise but not for cars to be more effiecent... this means more tax dollars towards money hungry retards...

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote