Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-07-2015, 12:02 AM   #449
Jsafe17

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
So you don't think CNCing the heads is radical?

I am not exaggerating the size. Have you seen a picture of an LS swapped in to a Mustang? There is plenty of room around the engine.

The 5.8 also uses deposited iron linings in the cylinder bores instead of pressed in liners because they couldn't use them. The bore diameter is the largest they could get in that block. The Ford Modular uses a bore spacing of 3.973" (if I remember right off the top of my head), while the LS uses a 4.40" bore spacing.
l love this old thread!
Attached Images

Jsafe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:52 AM   #450
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsafe17 View Post
l love this old thread!
nice pic....
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #451
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
That pic can't be real. If it is, a interesting note is that LS series engine does look tiny compared to what was in there. Someone had more money than sense if it is real.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:41 AM   #452
Erik427

Drives: 1970 Camaro, 2011 Mustang GT, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I read an article where they dyno'd a 1970 LS6 Chevelle auto trans and it put something like 250 HP to the wheels. No way it was making 450 net HP.
Very true. I used to a 1970 LS6. Had it on a chassis dyno at a car show. Never came close to 280hp.
Erik427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #453
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik427 View Post
Very true. I used to a 1970 LS6. Had it on a chassis dyno at a car show. Never came close to 280hp.
There was recently a Hot Rod article where they recreated many of the famous old motors from the 60's and 70's. Then dynoed them head to head. It was interesting. Most of the motors were either spot on or under rated. I'll see if I can find it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #454
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
I get annoyed by people that compare pushrod vs OHC motors on displacement. It truly lacks an understanding of reality. The entire argument for a pushrod design is because they are so compact and light you can have big displacement in a small package. You cannot do that with an OHC motor because they are so big and heavy. That is the problem with the OHC design.

The 5.0 Coyote is a BIGGER MOTOR than the 6.2 LS3. Its dimensions are greater and it weighs more. Therefore, the Coyote puts out less horsepower/lb. Until they find a way to significantly lighten OHC motors and shrink their dimensions, I would not want one because they are far more expensive to fix and modify, and give you a much more difficult engine bay to work on. The LS3 is vastly superior because you can modify and service these vehicles far more easily with a greater HP/lb generation.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #455
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I get annoyed by people that compare pushrod vs OHC motors on displacement. It truly lacks an understanding of reality. The entire argument for a pushrod design is because they are so compact and light you can have big displacement in a small package. You cannot do that with an OHC motor because they are so big and heavy. That is the problem with the OHC design.

The 5.0 Coyote is a BIGGER MOTOR than the 6.2 LS3. Its dimensions are greater and it weighs more. Therefore, the Coyote puts out less horsepower/lb. Until they find a way to significantly lighten OHC motors and shrink their dimensions, I would not want one because they are far more expensive to fix and modify, and give you a much more difficult engine bay to work on. The LS3 is vastly superior because you can modify and service these vehicles far more easily with a greater HP/lb generation.
What about the oil starvation issues we LS guys have on track that other manufacturers don't have until really extreme levels of tracking their cars. Even BMW guys that do LS engine swaps are shocked that the LS blocks are blowing on track more so than their less powered motors. Ford 5.0s also don't have this much of an issue. We need dry sumps setups or oil baffle pans more than others with our motors.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #456
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
What about the oil starvation issues we LS guys have on track that other manufacturers don't have until really extreme levels of tracking their cars. Even BMW guys that do LS engine swaps are shocked that the LS blocks are blowing on track more so than their less powered motors. Ford 5.0s also don't have this much of an issue. We need dry sumps setups or oil baffle pans more than others with our motors.
When you have a 4000 lbs car with 500+ HP (modified) pulling well over a G for a long banked turn shit happens.

The Mustang with it's Coyote is too busy doing barrel rolls and testing out its roll bar... lol j/k

Old 03-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #457
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
When you have a 4000 lbs car with 500+ HP (modified) pulling well over a G for a long banked turn shit happens.

The Mustang with it's Coyote is too busy doing barrel rolls and testing out its roll bar... lol j/k

Z28 excluded, drysump equiped.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #458
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post

What does the weight of a car have to do with the equation?

On that note my 2014 Mustang GT handles much better than my 2012 Camaro SS did.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #459
bluegoat06

Drives: Pontiac G8GT
I love GM, I've had 9 different GM performance vehicles since 1998, besides GM trucks, have a 2010 Chevy Silverado crew cab currently, and only 1 Ford (03 Mach1), with that said, I was looking to replace my offroad puppy with something performance, and 3 weeks ago I started looking in the Camaro's, even posted around here too, doing my research, to choose between the L99 engine or the LS3, test drove both of them: 2012 Camaro SS M6, and 2012 Camaro SS A6, and right before starting the paperwork at the dealer, I spotted what I'm driving today, a 2012 Mustang GT M6, soon after the test drive, I was hooked and madly in love with the damn car, it has the Brembo package with the 3.73's, honestly, and again, I'm GM guy at heart, the Stang has it over the Camaro, stock for stock in the performance department, no doubts about it.

Little did I know about the Coyote engine when I picked the car up from this dealer, again I'm a GM guy, I couldn't care less about the Coyote before , but the engine technology is by far a lot more advanced than an LS3 in this case, we could say it shares some technological advances with the L99 with the VVT, but the TiVCT is bound leaps ahead of the time compared to the LS3, being able to advance/retard the intake cams, completely independent from the Exhaust cams, is by far, the biggest benefit among everything else that has been discussed already in this thread, yes the LS3's have more cubes, with heads and cam, it would be a monster, but the 5.0 is a monster stock considering the lack of CI's stock vs stock, not factoring their price range, and whatever mods you want to thrown into the mix, overall, I love the LS3, and if the dealer had priced the Camaro SS Manual a little bit better, perhaps I could have given the Camaro a chance, the price was right on the stang, and its raw capabilities in stock trim won me over this time, in 3 years, i'll see what else is there to choose, I change my vehicles every 3-4 years more or less, so for now, i'll enjoy what I have, you can't go wrong with either platform, in the end, we're all gearheads, and we don't keep things in stock trim for very long

Have fun.

Last edited by bluegoat06; 03-13-2015 at 11:44 AM.
bluegoat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #460
Krieger

Drives: American Cars
Both engines have their pros/cons, but we're at the end of an era and its time to face the facts. The LS3 and 5.0 are both obsolete designs.

We're an energy breakthrough away from electric commuter cars offering the same performance as today's LS3/5.0.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #461
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
^^^^
That far more advanced engine technology still doesn't allow the engine to make more power than a LS3 stock. Honestly what good is all that stuff if the engine is bigger, heavier, gets similar mpg with less power and a lot less torque. "the Coyote is a monster stock considering the lack of CI's stock vs stock" quote is a huge ricer statement and means nothing at the end of the day.
The rest of what your describing is the car itself as a whole. This is a engine vs engine thread.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #462
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
^^^^
That far more advanced engine technology still doesn't allow the engine to make more power than a LS3 stock. Honestly what good is all that stuff if the engine is bigger, heavier, gets similar mpg with less power and a lot less torque. "the Coyote is a monster stock considering the lack of CI's stock vs stock" quote is a huge ricer statement and means nothing at the end of the day.
The rest of what your describing is the car itself as a whole. This is a engine vs engine thread.
Yeah... what he said.