Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 04-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Question V6 Super/Turbochargers. Much Confusion!

In the V6 mods thread (Milk's), it shows 4 supercharger options. The Raptor kit seems the most appealing, but it runs at 9 psi, isnt this a dangerous, or at least destructive level of boost? And the Holden kits say they require a piggy-back ECU, is that reliable. And on the 12K Holden kit, it says a vehicle cut is necessary...

Throwing third party crap on my Camaro sounds like

When is GMPP going to put out a turbo or supercharger?

Are there any NAME BRAND, reliable turbos or supers available at this time for the LLT?

Does anyone know of anyone else thats building engine packages for the LLT at the moment?

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
In the V6 mods thread (Milk's), it shows 4 supercharger options. The Raptor kit seems the most appealing, but it runs at 9 psi, isnt this a dangerous, or at least destructive level of boost? And the Holden kits say they require a piggy-back ECU, is that reliable. And on the 12K Holden kit, it says a vehicle cut is necessary...

Throwing third party crap on my Camaro sounds like

When is GMPP going to put out a turbo or supercharger?

Are there any NAME BRAND, reliable turbos or supers available at this time for the LLT?

Does anyone know of anyone else thats building engine packages for the LLT at the moment?
I don't belive 9 PSI would be too damaging to the engine.

But this is all we have to go on right now. Unfortunately Holden and Raptor are Australian companies, so the prices are Australian.
The Australians have had the LLT for much longer than it's been in the US.

So right now there are no American companies making forced induction kits for the V6.

Although I hear that Magna Charger might be working on a supercharger for the V6.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I don't belive 9 PSI would be too damaging to the engine.

But this is all we have to go on right now. Unfortunately Holden and Raptor are Australian companies, so the prices are Australian.
The Australians have had the LLT for much longer than it's been in the US.

So right now there are no American companies making forced induction kits for the V6.

Although I hear that Magna Charger might be working on a supercharger for the V6.
Figured youd be the first to chime in. You're a mod machine. AUD = .71 USD Weeee! That means that most expensive kit that supposedly churns out 400 HP on the dyno is only $8500

Sure about the 9psi though? I was almost certain that more than 7psi without further upgrades was detrimental to the engine over time...

Magna Charger huh? Ill keep an eye on it as well.

And what about GMPP? have they put out super/turbo kits for other vehicles or no?

Semper Fi!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Figured youd be the first to chime in. You're a mod machine. AUD = .71 USD Weeee! That means that most expensive kit that supposedly churns out 400 HP on the dyno is only $8500

Sure about the 9psi though? I was almost certain that more than 7psi without further upgrades was detrimental to the engine over time...

Magna Charger huh? Ill keep an eye on it as well.

And what about GMPP? have they put out super/turbo kits for other vehicles or no?
don't quote me on that 9 psi thing. Like I've said before I don't know for sure.

Haven't heard of GMPP ever having super/turbo kits. So I wouldn't count on it. Although you never know.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
don't quote me on that 9 psi thing. Like I've said before I don't know for sure.

Haven't heard of GMPP ever having super/turbo kits. So I wouldn't count on it. Although you never know.
Gotcha.

And damn. :( I liked the idea of being parts from GM and having them put into my car payments over the 4 year pay-off. Spending about 10K on a kit all at once doesnt sound like fun.

Semper Fi!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
the whole boost level thing will have to bee sorted out in time. I don't think 9 pounds is too detrimental though. One new member here (09CobaltSS/Turbo) is saying that the new LNF cobalt DI engine is supporting upwards of 20 pounds. I'm sure he can shed more light on this than I can.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
With the exception of pistons, the LNF has a forged bottom end, as well as sleeved combustion chambers. Big difference.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

"The crankshaft is a strong forged steel, and connecting rods are sinter forged, as are other 3.6L V6 VVT engines."
Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFour View Post
"The crankshaft is a strong forged steel, and connecting rods are sinter forged, as are other 3.6L V6 VVT engines."
Quotes from...?

And if true, awesome news! Wouldn't that basically mean a cheaper kit can be cranked up to deliver more power?

Semper Fi!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Quotes from...?

And if true, awesome news! Wouldn't that basically mean a cheaper kit can be cranked up to deliver more power?
Not necessarily. It means that the rotating assembly should be able to handle lots of power, but there are other things to consider. The main thing: the compression ratio. It's already 11.3, I think? Even with DI, you won't be able to throw 20PSI on it like the LNF, which has a much lower compression ratio. Then you have to start looking at increased cylinder pressures, which can blow head gaskets. My opinion? If you can afford $10,000 for a turbo set-up, you can afford another $1500 to put some lower compression pistons in and REALLY turn up the boost!
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

I pulled it from here
http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...GENIVV8ENGINES
Old 04-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #12
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
not all forged rods are created equally. even all cast pistons aren't the same.

and crank walk can become in issue as well, this engine wasn't specifically engineered for boost.

only time will tell how the engine will hold up.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
Not necessarily. It means that the rotating assembly should be able to handle lots of power, but there are other things to consider. The main thing: the compression ratio. It's already 11.3, I think? Even with DI, you won't be able to throw 20PSI on it like the LNF, which has a much lower compression ratio. Then you have to start looking at increased cylinder pressures, which can blow head gaskets. My opinion? If you can afford $10,000 for a turbo set-up, you can afford another $1500 to put some lower compression pistons in and REALLY turn up the boost!
You can put new pistons in without jacking up the VVT?
Is it reasonable to think I could get 400 rwhp with that 11500 dollar investment?

Semper Fi!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
You can put new pistons in without jacking up the VVT?
Is it reasonable to think I could get 400 rwhp with that 11500 dollar investment?
Since the intent is to lower the compression ratio there would be even more clearance between the valves and the new pistons, unless someone really goofs up. You would even be able to safely add higher lift cams.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote