Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
1985airborne
One Slow Automatic

Drives: 2017 GS 2010 CAMARO SS
Installation of rear cradle bushings

Im tempted to install myself...But I was curious to know how much shops are charging to install them...Whats you guys experience? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
They were challenging as a DIY because I mis-understood the DIY threads. Once I figured it out they were a lot easier. I wouldn't mind doing them again now that I know how.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
I was wondering the same, also looking at the BMR web site, they have some poly inserts that look to be a little more DIY friendly.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
I was wondering the same, also looking at the BMR web site, they have some poly inserts that look to be a little more DIY friendly.
The inserts are definitely much easier to install. They do provide an improvement, but not nearly as much as the full bushing replacement. The hardest part to doing the full bushings is getting the factory bushings out. Some people cut them out with a sawzall, some heat up the bushing pockets and push the bushings out against the body with a large socket or improvised "puck" of some kind. Either way, it is a fairly tedious task, but the end results are worth the effort.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
detroitspeed

Drives: 1969, 70, 2010, and 2012 Camaros
DSE will have an installation/removal tool available to help with this upgrade soon!
detroitspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
It is impossible to remove the stock bushings without some type of hydraulic press if your car has any sort of age/mileage. I did mine after 45k miles and I needed a sawzall to cut them out. I was lifting the car with the puck trying to push it out and it didn't move. We are talking entire rear of the car supported by a single puck & bushing.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:25 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i heated them up and it was easy. took about 5min each one. I put BMR delrin bushings in. There worth every penny. Big time improvement and NO driveline noise. You have to remove the metal plates on the bottom of the bushings befor you remove them. Heat the plate up real good and knock them off with a hammer. remove the cradle bolts then thread them back in 1/2" 1 at a time. I lowered the cradle then used a 1" socket on top of the bushing 1 at a time. put a jack on the cradle by the bushing and jack it up, heat the cradle up around the bushing for 5min. the bushing will start to melt Then it will start to move. theres a DIY on here how to do it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote