Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
TB and Black ice install tools?

I have been swamped and out of town so Im finally going to take a swing at putting these on tonight so I can get my core back out in time! I have a 13mm ratcheting box wrench but the solid one. Not the one with the swivel ends! Will this still work? It has the end that's a little angled!
Sorry if stupid question but do not want to start the process and then get stuck!
Also, what type of RTV gasket stuff do you recommend?

Hopefully I can install the Hurst short throw this week. Plus my tune just arrived!
Figures that I am swamped with work right now!

neuf cruz
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
The 5 minute right stuff gasket maker

Sent using Shotta-talk
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
The rigid ratchet is not a deal breaker, but with the swivel it allows a much wider range on each turn.

Also since you have to flip the wrench depending on whether you're tightening or taking off, your "angle" will work against you one way or the other. Just be ready to be patient- it won't be as bad as all that.

Most important point is to keep track of your bolt placements. I believe you've got 3 different lengths, but the diff is not that big. I marked the bolt heads to be sure the right one went in the right hole. And remember- just 18lb/ft of torque .
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Neuf Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
The rigid ratchet is not a deal breaker, but with the swivel it allows a much wider range on each turn.

Also since you have to flip the wrench depending on whether you're tightening or taking off, your "angle" will work against you one way or the other. Just be ready to be patient- it won't be as bad as all that.

Most important point is to keep track of your bolt placements. I believe you've got 3 different lengths, but the diff is not that big. I marked the bolt heads to be sure the right one went in the right hole. And remember- just 18lb/ft of torque .
Thanks to all!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Neuf Cruz

All the y had was the Permatex Ultra Black Will this work? They only had the swivel-racheting box wrench in complte sets. So I opted to just use my plain racheting box wrench. Open till 9pm so if an issue I can run over and buy the set!

Will Ultra Black work for gasket?

neuf cruz
Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Ventmaster

Yes, just follow the directions on the back of the tube- apply thin bead and wait 10mins. before assembly, I believe. Cures in 12-24hrs?

I had some nuts that fit and assembled my Mace and let it cure (off the car) overnight. Then put the IM/spacer on as a unit and it simplifies things a great deal. Just a suggestion
Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
motley1987

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
I thought I saw another thread where someone used a 1/2 inch wrench. I was able to buy the ratcheting wrenches individually so I bought both. They are close in size but not exact, so is it the 13 MM or 1/2 inch so I can return the other one? Thanks.

Ben
2011 IOM 1LT RS. K&N Typhoon CAI; Sequential taillights, SLP faded gill overlays, VMAX CNC ported TB, RX Ported IM, RX breather, 3/8" Black Ice-olator, OEM STB, 4 gauge pack, Alpine amp and sub, convertible spoiler, IOM painted rear diffuser, SS front and rear sways, SS front and rear struts and springs, Street Scene front splitter, IOM hideaway headlight covers, 5% window tint.
motley1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Neuf Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Yes, just follow the directions on the back of the tube- apply thin bead and wait 10mins. before assembly, I believe. Cures in 12-24hrs?

I had some nuts that fit and assembled my Mace and let it cure (off the car) overnight. Then put the IM/spacer on as a unit and it simplifies things a great deal. Just a suggestion
Thought I read something like this before! Can I "pre-assemble" like this with the black-ice? I assume so! What size nuts do I need? The + for this would be to??? make it easier to get to the back bolts??? Curring time???
Also! Now that I installed the Throttle bodies! Do I have to take that off to install the black ice? Not that its hard!

I was woried about running out of time so I just simply installed the throttle bodies and the key word is simply!
remove and loosen the intake hose, disconect the harness to original throttle body, remove the 4-10mm bolts that hold the throttle body in place (keep original gasket), install new throttle body with bolts, reconect harness, put intake hose back on and fire up! no CEL for me!
Was sort of hard telling a major difference as I only went around my very bumpy block plus doesn't it take some miles before the ECU adjusts? Plus a tune will help this MOD as well! I hope!

Hope to install the black ice, catch can, hurst shifter and tune this week or next! Swamped at work!

Thanks for all the help!

neuf cruz
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Ventmaster

Yes, you can pre-assemble the blackice as well. The primary benefit I saw was I was able to line up my Mace optimally with the IM (you can still see and feel inside your spacer when assembling off the engine), so as not to have any rough edges or restriction to flow. There is still alot of latitude in the bolt holes allowing your spacer to move around- maybe not to the best spot when you're doing it "blind" and you can remove any excess gasket maker. Once the gasket maker cures, she's not gonna move.

This may be more pertinent to the Mace, since it's openings are the same size as the IM's.

I don't know the nut size- I'm a packrat and have a drawer full of stray nuts and bolts that come in handy pretty often. If you don't, take an IM bolt to Home Depot and size it and buy a few nuts and washers (to distribute the pressure evenly) to fit. 4 or 5 will do fine.

Don't worry about tightening the bolts down right away- let the gasket set up awhile finger tight ( an hour), then just tighten down a couple more turns til its cured.

You don't need to remove the ported TB, in the morning remove the bolts, and just put the IM/spacer/TB on top of the OEM gasket in one piece. Have that vertical back bolt already in place, partially inserted in the IM to ease its placement.

Then re-insert the rest of the bolts, and tighten to 18lb/ft .

PS- the back bolts are 13mm.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Neuf Cruz

Ventmaster!

Thanks for the info!
So I go IM-Ultra Black Gasket maker-Black Ice Isolator-OEM gasket-heads?

Thanks again!

neuf cruz
Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Ventmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post
Ventmaster!

Thanks for the info!
So I go IM-Ultra Black Gasket maker-Black Ice Isolator-OEM gasket-heads?

Thanks again!

neuf cruz
Yes.