Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #113
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you're an enthusiast, HP, TQ junkie, then yeah the V8 is better. If you're just an average person who cares more about a car's looks, then who cares which engine you get. The key is to get what makes you happy.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #114
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
Sometimes I wish I could have both... Auto V6 for daily commute and a Manual V8 for strictly a weekend playtoy... lol.

I dunno... I beat on a new 5.0 Stang (my cousins who flat out told me to beat on it, not a stupid dealer test drive) and although fun (manual) it still wasn't overly impressive. I'd buy one just for the fun factor but I think all these new vehicles handle so well and the power delivery is so smooth in a modern motor it tends to make them feel slower than they actually are plus all the hype kinda gives you unrealistic expectations.

To the OP- I'd totally skip out on buying used. If you're under water on your loan your best bet would be brand new at 0% financing. The 0% will possibly make up all the difference on the amount you're up side down on depending on how much interest you're paying now. Upside down on loan, taking a bath on a used car potentially paying more or the same as new one considering 0% deals come around all the time on brand new cars = .

Brand new @ 0% is the only way to do it.... Hell I might even do it sometime this summer if the 13's get a 0% promotion.... Or boy was the 5.0 Stang manual a lot of fun, hehe.. Still think the Camaro is a better car overall....
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #115
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
I would not have my car if circumstances dictated it would be my only form of transportation. It would get real old in traffic every day. I also would have nothing to do with an L99 car, but there's different cars for different folks and someone has to suffer so we can avoid extra taxes.

Cars are as fun as you make them , so I may have been a little harsh when I stated V6 cars were lame or boring in past comments.

As far as who is better because you have SS or not, or non RS, or whatever model/options. No one cares but you and other people who own Camaros, it's a cheap car anyway people pay more for their fancy trucks or SUVs and hardly attract attention. Most people will compliment your car for it's looks only and don't really have any specific Camaro knowledge.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #116
markas214

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 SIM convertible
My insurance went down when I traded the RS for the 2SS/RS vert. Gasoline 20-30 cents more a gallon. Mileage 16 vs 21 mpg. An extra two quarts of Mobile 1.

I've read some who weren't impressed driving the SS from a V6 but I suspect that they may have driven a car where the AFM was in low octane mode because my SS is way faster than the RS. Both automatic trans.

I got 0% for 72 months vs 60 months (forget the rate) so my payment was not much higher on a car that is $18,000 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T.
Like someone else mentioned, the AFM is really annoying. When it switches from 4 to 8 cylinders, the car shudders a bit and lets out a little fart sound. ...

I have yet to experience this. Maybe I'm not that hypersensitive but I do not notice the shift. Of course my radio is usually up around 45 but I've never felt a shudder either.
Probably like the drone. I watch all those videos and don't here it while it drives some people crazy. What bothers one person may not another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Short
Cost aside, I would rather drive a nice V6 then a beat V8

Agree. My SGM RS, no stripes please, was a beauty.
markas214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #117
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
My insurance went down when I traded the RS for the 2SS/RS vert. Gasoline 20-30 cents more a gallon. Mileage 16 vs 21 mpg. An extra two quarts of Mobile 1.

I've read some who weren't impressed driving the SS from a V6 but I suspect that they may have driven a car where the AFM was in low octane mode because my SS is way faster than the RS. Both automatic trans.

I got 0% for 72 months vs 60 months (forget the rate) so my payment was not much higher on a car that is $18,000 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T.
Like someone else mentioned, the AFM is really annoying. When it switches from 4 to 8 cylinders, the car shudders a bit and lets out a little fart sound. ...

I have yet to experience this. Maybe I'm not that hypersensitive but I do not notice the shift. Of course my radio is usually up around 45 but I've never felt a shudder either.
Probably like the drone. I watch all those videos and don't here it while it drives some people crazy. What bothers one person may not another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Short
Cost aside, I would rather drive a nice V6 then a beat V8

Agree. My SGM RS, no stripes please, was a beauty.
That's what I'm saying... Gotta get the 0% to even consider it. Also, I've test driven more than a handful of SS's now and I could feel when AFM kicked in and out on the auto. One used one I test drove with an aftermarket exhaust sounded real horrible when AFM kicked in. No biggie to me since I don't like loud exhausts anyway and would leave it stock if I got one but didn't like the feel when AFM kicked in. Might have to tune that out, heh. I'd like to take one for a test drive once without a salesmen so I could really test it with the paddle shifters like how I drive my V6. I get driving and talking with the salesmen and I really forget why I'm driving it- to test it and wind up putting around the block! My cousin letting me take the 5.0 and telling me to beat on it was a "real" test drive! I didn't actually beat on it to where you're holding in the brake, dumping the clutch with the gas floored and roasting tires, but I was banging gears from a roll to redline feeling what it can do. Very fun car to drive the manual 5.0 Stang was and perfect shift and clutch feel....
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #118
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
I would not have my car if circumstances dictated it would be my only form of transportation. It would get real old in traffic every day. I also would have nothing to do with an L99 car, but there's different cars for different folks and someone has to suffer so we can avoid extra taxes.

Cars are as fun as you make them , so I may have been a little harsh when I stated V6 cars were lame or boring in past comments.

As far as who is better because you have SS or not, or non RS, or whatever model/options. No one cares but you and other people who own Camaros, it's a cheap car anyway people pay more for their fancy trucks or SUVs and hardly attract attention. Most people will compliment your car for it's looks only and don't really have any specific Camaro knowledge.
Can we turn this into a manual vs automatic fight now!!!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #119
guapo
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro LT2/RS
Ok you say its raged out. Do you really want to pay 600+ for a raged out Camaro? If you wait awhile they will discount the 13's. You might be suprised at what you can get a new one for. Contact one of the dealer sponsors on here. They should be able to assist. Search and see and remember most new car dealers make more cash on used cars than new ones.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #120
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Just got off the phone with my insurance company. My insurance would go DOWN by $5 a month if I upgraded to the SS. The girl on the phone said she was super jealous that I had a Camaro! Haha!

GotGame55, I'm 5'5". Maybe I've just got short legs or something. But I am forced to sit pretty dang close to floor the pedals.
Insurance is based on a strange formula. Part of the cost is the model's amount of claims. The rate going down could be caused by the LT model cars having a high number of claims. (Not saying anything negative.) I remember when the fox bodied Mustangs were around the LX 5.0 cars were more to ensure than the more expensive GT cars. Same car with the same engine but the LX cars were involved in more accidents.

Insurance on my ZL1 was only $2 a month higher than my SS. My wife's Toyota Corolla four door 4 cylinder is more to ensure by $6 a month. Go figure.

Just a quick trick on the seating. I pull the seat forward until my clutch foot has a slight bend in it. Then I adjust the steering column and seat back for my arm length and upper body distance. Finally I adjust seat height so I can see. My wife who is 5'2" can drive my manual Camaro without the little old lady driving position. Just need to tweak you seating position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Thank you to everybody for the great replies. I've got a lot of thinking to do over the next day or so. My wife isn't against it, but she doesn't really get it. Hell, I don't really get it either... But I want that V8 power. This is tough...
Good luck. Only you can decide what you are comfortable with. The only thing is the car payment seems high. My ZL1 payment is the same so consider that. Ultimately you have to decide if the $650 expense is worth it to you.

If you buy then make sure to post pics.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #121
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
I think the disconnect here is most people think that all V6 owners have their cars because they CAN'T afford a V8. This couldn't be further from the truth. Remember, some people just choose to drive the V6 for personal reasons. No need to bash each other & bitch about who's better or faster. There will always be another car that's faster. Everyone just do what makes you happy & don't worry about what other idiots think.
JN3WMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #122
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American Chevrolet View Post
OP, why consider buying "a beat up SS"??? This is the type of car that most owners take considerable care of. Find a nice clean one and then make your decision.
Why do you respond to the OP's post with comments that prove you didn't read his post? He never said anything about considering "a beat up SS". He said he test drove "a beat up SS". He's considering a new SS.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #123
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
@ the reactions from SS owners.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #124
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
@ the v6 owners getting their feelings hurt by people on the interwebs theyll never meet.
LOL who's feelings are hurt?
JN3WMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #125
OK-Boomer
Fast & Loud

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Murdered Out
I traded in my 2010 1LT RS for a 2012 2SS/RS with no regrets! The sound and power make it worth the money.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #126
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
@ the v6 owners getting their feelings hurt by people on the interwebs theyll never meet.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote