Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbaconrules View Post
Winter tires are not about snow. It's the cold. All that info is in the tires section of the forum.
Not entirely true , Yes it is about cold temps and the softer compound , they are also made to go though snow , that is why they are narrower than all seasons or summer tires and have a different tread design for snow,
And for the OP , do not drive in cold temps with your summer tires , many have wished that they had not tried that.

Last edited by MBS; 11-10-2014 at 04:54 PM.
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #16
Linker239

Drives: 2022 WC 2SS
I'm on my second set of these tires. I love em. I got 39,000 miles out of the first set. I've got about 9,000 on this set so far. I've driven through snow and ice many times. They seem to handle it just fine. As long as you don't get the snowstorms that the north does. It's all about throttle controll and know ingwhen you start to spin and how the car will react.
2010 VR 1LT RS; Sold
Linker239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #17
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Speaking from experience, there's not a lot of weather they can't handle. Last year I got stuck at work in a storm. The snow was piled 8 inches or so behind my car and I managed to leave my shovel at home. I turned off the nannies and hit the gas. I never even slipped. Went right over the snow. General g max- highly highly highly recommended.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #18
AustinWithrow

Drives: 2013 Cammed/LSA Conversion 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmanian View Post
Speaking from experience, there's not a lot of weather they can't handle. Last year I got stuck at work in a storm. The snow was piled 8 inches or so behind my car and I managed to leave my shovel at home. I turned off the nannies and hit the gas. I never even slipped. Went right over the snow. General g max- highly highly highly recommended.

Yay!!! I'm getting my new set this week and then I can finally start my build that I have been pursuing for months now. But it is almost winter and I'm thinking about saving up and getting a cam, and new heads before I install the new motor.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #19
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
If you're going to drive in the snow, get dedicated snow tires. Tire rack has some great winter tire and wheel packages.
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #20
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
I have these now and are happy with them in both wet and cold weather. The Pzeros wore toast in under 10K miles but these have lasted a lot more. I have been in temps as low as 10 degrees and they hold up well with decent traction. Now understand that in my situation and horsepower not many tires will grip so I was not concerned about max grip but more about wet and cold weather traction. If your looking for a good all around all year tire these will do the job and give you good performance. Don't expect drag radial stickiness or F1 performance. With that said, They do perform well enough in dry to have fun. I have dedicated drag radials for those spirited runs.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #21
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Well said. If there's anywhere these tires fall short, it's dry weather handling.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinWithrow View Post
It don't snow much here either.. But we do get some ice!
With ice there are not many tires that will have good traction on ice. Only tires with studs will have traction on solid ice, In your Area the g-max as-03 will do you good. I have the G-max on my car. My weather is like yours and I do not have any trouble.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #23
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
I run these tires and have traveled on Ice, snow and absolutly love them. I beleive if i didnt have these tires i would not have made it home for christmas last year
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #24
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Ice is ice. You can drive your car in a hockey rink but it's gonna be really slippery regardless of the tire unless it is studded.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #25
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
All Seasons are only marginally better than summer tires.
LOL!

You have clearly never run summer vs all seasons in snow. You cannot MOVE with a dusting in P Zero's. I put General Gmax's on my car in anticipation of the winter. They are rated for light snow. No, you won't be able to get around in blizzard conditions running them, but you shouldn't be DRIVING in blizzard conditions, anyway. Summer only tires can't move with even the lightest coatings of snow. We are talking 1/2" snow - I could not make it in or out of a driveway with even the slightest grade. All seasons are good for a couple inches and won't crack when exposed to freezing temperatures like a summer only tire can. Summer's can't even be exposed to cold roads or they may split.

Most people just re-post what they read around here with no experience. Winter tires are NOT designed to run on asphalt. I live in the Philadelphia area where the roads are only covered in snow 1-2 days after a significant storm (which we only get 1 or 2 of a year). 95% of the winter the roads are bare. Running snow tires in those conditions would destroy them within a few thousand miles. You ONLY run snow tires in areas where the roads never thaw. If your roads are bare most of the winter and you only get snow storms here and there, get a good all season tire and if it DOES get really bad just stay home for a day.

Gmax's are also much lighter than the stock Pirelli's. I believe 6-8 lbs per corner. I'm going to run the Gmax's all year around. Their dry traction is almost as good, but they wear half as fast and can handle light snow. They are also $50-100/tire cheaper and much lighter. Win, win, win. No road noise, either.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #26
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Here's a good example, February of 2013. I can see Boston from a hill near where I live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_2013_nor%27easter

I was driving my 2012 1SS LS3 from noon to 4pm through that, on a 30 mile drive that should take 45 minutes. Up hills that had red lights and stop signs and twists and off-camber turns, inching ahead, constant starts and stops, and the plows can't get through.

No problems...but I use real snow tires, not 'performance winter' tires. Sometimes you have no choice to drive in really bad conditions.

Pretty sure this photo was about two hours later, after I parked. The Bobcat is abandoned by the removal crew.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 11-15-2014 at 09:50 AM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #27
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
How was I able to run Blizzacks for 7 seasons and ~25,000 miles and they still had >1/2 tread left?
There's many misconceptions about snow tires. I have about 10K on my Pirreli Scorpion Snow and Ice tires. Plenty of dry pavement driving. They look new.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #28
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
LOL!

You have clearly never run summer vs all seasons in snow. You cannot MOVE with a dusting in P Zero's. I put General Gmax's on my car in anticipation of the winter. They are rated for light snow. No, you won't be able to get around in blizzard conditions running them, but you shouldn't be DRIVING in blizzard conditions, anyway. Summer only tires can't move with even the lightest coatings of snow. We are talking 1/2" snow - I could not make it in or out of a driveway with even the slightest grade. All seasons are good for a couple inches and won't crack when exposed to freezing temperatures like a summer only tire can. Summer's can't even be exposed to cold roads or they may split.

Most people just re-post what they read around here with no experience. Winter tires are NOT designed to run on asphalt. I live in the Philadelphia area where the roads are only covered in snow 1-2 days after a significant storm (which we only get 1 or 2 of a year). 95% of the winter the roads are bare. Running snow tires in those conditions would destroy them within a few thousand miles. You ONLY run snow tires in areas where the roads never thaw. If your roads are bare most of the winter and you only get snow storms here and there, get a good all season tire and if it DOES get really bad just stay home for a day.

Gmax's are also much lighter than the stock Pirelli's. I believe 6-8 lbs per corner. I'm going to run the Gmax's all year around. Their dry traction is almost as good, but they wear half as fast and can handle light snow. They are also $50-100/tire cheaper and much lighter. Win, win, win. No road noise, either.
I had Dunlop M3 snow tires on my previous car for 4 years when the snow started to fall and there is still 3 seasons left and that's driving on both DRY and snow covered roads. Snow tires are meant for cold dry roads and snow covered roads, it will get traction much more quickly than all season tires and will grip better when its snowing. That's the point for winter tires. Soft rubber equals better traction for cold, now for ice roads doesn't matter what tire you have it will not any traction unless studded.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote