Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 02-25-2016, 02:56 AM   #1
NVR2L8

Drives: 09 Z06
Looking for a proper 18" tire for track

I've done my research, but have hit a wall. My new 1LE has the following tire/wheel set-up:

Front 20x10 BS 23
Rear 20x11 BS 43
Tires 285/35-20
Tire OD: 27.85"

I have always run 18" tires on the track, better tire selection and price, but I can't find any tires that are close to the height of stock tires. I have checked Michelin PSS, Hoosier R6, Toyo R888s, Hankook RS-3 and Nitto NT-01, but they are all more than an inch less in diameter. Even if I did find the proper height, there could also be more sidewall flex than acceptable.

With the 3.91 gearing, a smaller diameter tire would also lower my top speed in 4th gear, which I do not want to sacrifice.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Is my only option sticking with a 19" - 20" solution? I have looked at the TSW rings, which may be the most realistic option.

btw, were these wheels designed just for the street crowd? Big wheels look cool, but I am worried about performance.

TIA

Last edited by NVR2L8; 02-25-2016 at 03:35 AM.
NVR2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
Lonewolf583
Apex Predator

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Rally Yellow
IMHO - Probably Too Much Sidewall, Not Worth It.

Generally speaking, and as you've seen the availability in the diameter you want is just not there on 18". On the topic of sidewall, I'd say you definitely want to avoid that extra compliance. Let's just assume you keep your tread width the same at 285 and were able to find a tire of similar OD. This is what the combo would look like.

Name:  285 20 v 18.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  67.2 KB

Considering your speed requirement, I'd either:

A - stick with the 20 or step down to 19, plenty of trackable options out there.
B - step down to 18 and select something with an appropriate sidewall and deal with the top speed and use 5th, change the gear, OR raise the rev limiter a bit.

I'll be going to a 275/35R18, because racecar.

Beating physics into submission since 1991.

Last edited by Lonewolf583; 02-25-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: -
Lonewolf583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
I did something in the ballpark to what you're asking about on my 1LE, at least in regards to 18 inch wheels. However, my end goal was something a bit different than yours. I bought a set of custom order Forgestar F14's 18x9 for all four corners and a set of Nitto Motivos in size 255/55R18. This got me close to the original diameter, but was slightly larger this way. Again, my goal was different, I wanted a good high performance all season tire for daily driving. I saved the stock ZL1 style wheels and Goodyear tires for summer only track use so I wouldn't wear them out so quickly.

Maybe you can use this information for reference and put together a combination that will work well for your desired use as well. I will say this though, I have been pleased with this setup, and the car still handles extremely well. The ride quality with the stiffer suspension is a tad better too. (Not that such a point even matter with a car like this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.)

This setup sits flush with the fenders, unlike the stock setup that stuck out a bit and threw up all kinds of road debris on the fenders when being used for regular driving. I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but hopefully some of the info may be useful to you in working out the right combo. (Took me close to 5 months of careful research and fooling with those calculator websites and talking to everyone I could to work out exactly what I wanted.) Good luck to you, and please feel free to check out my profile pics for how this looks on my car, and PM me if I can be any help to you in figuring out what you want to do with your 1LE.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
NVR2L8

Drives: 09 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf583 View Post
Generally speaking, and as you've seen the availability in the diameter you want is just not there on 18". On the topic of sidewall, I'd say you definitely want to avoid that extra compliance. Let's just assume you keep your tread width the same at 285 and were able to find a tire of similar OD. This is what the combo would look like.

Attachment 776973

Considering your speed requirement, I'd either:

A - stick with the 20 or step down to 19, plenty of trackable options out there.
B - step down to 18 and select something with an appropriate sidewall and deal with the top speed and use 5th, change the gear, OR raise the rev limiter a bit.

I'll be going to a 275/35R18, because racecar.
Great info. I also use a tire size calculator, but not as detailed as yours. Would you mind posting or sending a link to me. Thanks.
NVR2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
Lonewolf583
Apex Predator

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVR2L8 View Post
Great info. I also use a tire size calculator, but not as detailed as yours. Would you mind posting or sending a link to me. Thanks.
No prob. Sketchy domain name, but it's been super useful.

http://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Good luck!

Beating physics into submission since 1991.

Lonewolf583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
BlazeNGlory

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf583 View Post
No prob. Sketchy domain name, but it's been super useful.

http://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Good luck!
Thanks for posting the link. Great reference when looking for different tire/wheel combinations.
BlazeNGlory is offline   Reply With Quote