Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
even at 40f or 20f .it's time to park it.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanti View Post
Really? Geez! So what would be a good year round tire where temps can be 0 or 90, not in the same day of course?

Move to Chicago you can get pretty close to that much of a temp swing. Its like they always say in Chicago, "If you dont like the weather wait 15 min." In a weeks span here it is going to go from -7* to 50* in f-ing january, wtf?

Im happy i have the heater i do in the garage, i feel bad for the people that have to deal with this. Another stress to go along with the car.
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #17
OC ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 AGM
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Nothing has changed here compared to the initial information.

The tires, being summer tires are not designed to be driven under 40ºF. They won't be damaged...but traction is significantly lowered under 40 until they warm up, similar to any summer tire. So the early thing was a warning (probably for legal purposes) to just not drive the car at all. (I've driven from as cold as 33º...a little common sense and caution goes a long way)

This notice mirrors exactly what the early information said: DO NOT DRIVE, or preferably, don't even STORE these tires under 20º. The rubber (apparently) becomes brittle. If you do store it...just don't move it, they'll be fine as soon as they warm back up to ambient temperatures.

Thanks for sharing again, MS3DALE.

The ZL1 and 1LE are no-compromises cars. They were built to go stupid-fast, end of story. This special care is part of that deal. I've experienced these tires on the track, and in the cold/wet weather. They're phenominal in the first case, and "good/okay" in the second case (as long as you recognize what you're driving...and using PTM mode 1 helps a lot). I intend to buy another set in a heartbeat. Plus - OE tires will allow me to keep Performance Traction Management fully-functional...other tires may not do that.

I park the car in the winter, anyways, so I guess the storage issue isn't a huge deal for me. If you don't, though - I hope you purchased a set of Blizzaks...
Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
I have driven in temps far as 27 degress and I've notice a lot less traction, but the tires are still usable at low temps.

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
zl1fun

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 1029 black
Guess I'm breaking the "rules" ...again......I have been driving mine in 20-30 deg weather and yes the tires have much less traction than in the summer. does any of this have to do with over inflation in cold weather? I keep my fronts right at 32 lbs and rears at 35 in the winter ...I will be inspecting them tomorrow ...just to make sure everything is ok.
zl1fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Was running a little late this morning, had a appointment for tint at 9am and a basketball game at noon 22mi. In each direction. At 15 til I was on my way , it
Was 28 deg. With a high end radar/laser det. I proceeded to my destination at
100 for 22mi. And temp dropped to 27 half way there . Never had a issue, and I
Frequently drive in cool or cold temps but has always been above 20. I always inspect my tires and there always ok. I just had them off for cleaning the inside
Of the rims and inspecting/cleaning the inside tire wall. I have also had it completely sideways at 60mph @ temps in the fifties . Was asked by a service
Mgr. to let it eat, so bright me turned all the nannies and let it go. Not too bad til
Midway to upper rpm's and a hard shift, and then almost s**t my self. She came
Back around and hooked right back up . Anyway, I shall not do that ever again.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1fun View Post
Guess I'm breaking the "rules" ...again......I have been driving mine in 20-30 deg weather and yes the tires have much less traction than in the summer. does any of this have to do with over inflation in cold weather? I keep my fronts right at 32 lbs and rears at 35 in the winter ...I will be inspecting them tomorrow ...just to make sure everything is ok.
I've been keeping mine at 30psi
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
I'm guessing that you can drive in lower temps but you risk the chance of having splits in your tires. I may just go to summer wheels and tires and winter wheels and tires and be done with it.
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #23
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
It was 75 here today.
Yeah I think I'm good.

But a great thread none the less.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #24
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1fun View Post
You and me both, I haven't bought winter tires and I just recently bought mine. I haven't slammed it or anything like that. I also check my tires and no issues as of yet.

It has actually snowed here as well the past 2 days, which I didn't drive it but still taking precautions...
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
I don't like these tires in general, when it was 80 degrees outside I still had a hard time getting these to grip, they always feel like a hard compound, and I suspect that is what makes them crack at these low temps, they are so hard the contraction and stress makes them crack. I used multiple PTM Mode settings as well. When the track opens back up in march I plan on using these up so I can get some Michelin's. These goodyears have been awful tires IMO, and I am usually a fan of Goodyears.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #26
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
I think you are right about the hardness of the rubber being prone to cracking. I really don't think they are worth all of this and wonder why Gm put them on in the first place. While some will go to a race track I suspect most driving will be done on streets so why the race tires? I think I will look to see what Michelin has to offer as well.
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #27
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
BF Goodrich just came out with a comparable tire I forget the name. In general I prefer Michelin and BFG.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #28
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Here are the BFG's. I don't think they have the rear size though. It'll work for the 1LE guys though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=g-Force+Rival
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote