Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 11-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Mustang special editions

Two questions:
1- with all the talk about how is ford going to counter the release of the camaro; is there any word to if they are going to be releasing a 302 or mach 1?
2- why do so many people think ford needs to keep up with camaro? For YEARS the mustang under preformed and out sold the camaro. 2002 being a great example, The camaro temporarily went extinct even though the mustang was a joke performance wise.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
I doubt Ford will tweak it, maybe increase hp output and rehash performance pack and that's it. You are right it is selling well, because the design is more 'European' and sleek which is more appealing to average person over radical design of Camaro. I guess the Mustang is more comfortable for daily driving as well. I have never driven one but I know the Camaro is stiff and planted well in 5th gen form let alone 6th gen. It's more of a performer super-sport rather than nice to be in pony car the mustang is. The Camaro meanwhile has unique meshed together interior design that doesn't add unnecessary buttons all over the place. The electronics on the new Camaro are superior to Ford sync imo also.

The new Camaro is better performer for people who value performance as biggest priority but common person finds mustang as better overall package(apparently) so it will continue to sell well.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
Two questions:
1- with all the talk about how is ford going to counter the release of the camaro; is there any word to if they are going to be releasing a 302 or mach 1?
2- why do so many people think ford needs to keep up with camaro? For YEARS the mustang under preformed and out sold the camaro. 2002 being a great example, The camaro temporarily went extinct even though the mustang was a joke performance wise.

I don't know that the mustang has ever really been a joke with exception to the mustang II.

But, I thought they already had their special edition with the 350 mustangs?

It's going to take a new model on a new platform to compete with the 6th gen. It'll come sooner or later.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
I doubt Ford will tweak it, maybe increase hp output and rehash performance pack and that's it. You are right it is selling well, because the design is more 'European' and sleek which is more appealing to average person over radical design of Camaro. I guess the Mustang is more comfortable for daily driving as well. I have never driven one but I know the Camaro is stiff and planted well in 5th gen form let alone 6th gen. It's more of a performer super-sport rather than nice to be in pony car the mustang is. The Camaro meanwhile has unique meshed together interior design that doesn't add unnecessary buttons all over the place. The electronics on the new Camaro are superior to Ford sync imo also.

The new Camaro is better performer for people who value performance as biggest priority but common person finds mustang as better overall package(apparently) so it will continue to sell well.
Yes, it seems some of the articles I have read praise the Mustang for having a more "traditional" interior. I guess some reviewers like having an ocean of knobs, buttons and toggle switches compared to the more modern minimalistic interior of Camaro.

Last edited by Bongos2U; 11-14-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
The Mustang doesn't need a new platform...lol.

It needs to develop and refine the one it has.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Two questions:

I don't really consider a car that is going to be produced in decent numbers for multiple years a 'special edition'. A special edition, to me, is something like an 'Anniversary Edition' or the 'Hotwheels Edition' Camaro from a couple years ago (or Transformers, or Synergy or any number of others). Throw some special paint and/or vinyl graphics on the car. Maybe give it a unique spoiler or wheels or other quick and easy cosmetic changes. Then charge a few thousand extra for it.

Semantics aside, the GT350 is the replacement for the Boss 302. They fill the exact same role in the lineup, just has a different badge. Doing a 302 alongside the GT350 would be utterly pointless. And there is a high performance 'monster' on the way, presumably badged as a GT500 (or they could go with Mach 1 or Cobra ... it really doesn't matter that much)

As for why so many people say Ford needs to keep up with the Camaro ... I don't take it very seriously. To me, its just Camaro fans patting each other on the back. Instead of it being a call for Ford to step up their game, its about bragging how well Chevy is doing.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
I think we will see continual special edition mustangs like the bullit and the Mach 1....

Mustang fans love those special models from time to time and ford enjoys charging more for them.

The history of the fourth generation lost sales to the mustang had more to do with insurance rates on fourth gen f bodies that were higher monthly than the car payments...

That was the cause of sales death of the fourth gen....

Mustangs were simply less expensive to insure at that time.

As long as all the safety aids in today's cars keep insurance companies costs in line , the new camaro SS will sell quite well.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
the GT350 is the replacement for the Boss 302. They fill the exact same role in the lineup, just has a different badge.
Given dealer mark up on the gt350s they do not fill the same roll.

ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Given dealer mark up on the gt350s they do not fill the same roll.

Are you saying that nobody was charging over sticker for a Boss 302? Because there were plenty of dealerships asking for an extra 10 grand, or more (particularly for the Laguna Seca). It happens every time there is a hot new car on the market, especially if an old nameplate is getting dusted off.

But I don't base a cars role on dealer markup. I look at what it has/is supposed to do.

High-output NA engine? Check
Track tuned suspension? Check
Upgraded brakes? Check
Upgraded tires? Check
Improved aero/downforce? Check
MSRP of around 50 grand? Check
Pay quite a bit more to get an even more hardcore version? Check

Looks to me like they were designed for the same purpose, to be sold to the same types of customers ... thereby filling the same role.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Are you saying that nobody was charging over sticker for a Boss 302? Because there were plenty of dealerships asking for an extra 10 grand, or more (particularly for the Laguna Seca). It happens every time there is a hot new car on the market, especially if an old nameplate is getting dusted off.

But I don't base a cars role on dealer markup. I look at what it has/is supposed to do.

High-output NA engine? Check
Track tuned suspension? Check
Upgraded brakes? Check
Upgraded tires? Check
Improved aero/downforce? Check
MSRP of around 50 grand? Check
Pay quite a bit more to get an even more hardcore version? Check

Looks to me like they were designed for the same purpose, to be sold to the same types of customers ... thereby filling the same role.
Correct.

The 2012 Boss 302 had a MSRP of $40,995 in the spring of 2011 when the 2012 cars were being built and sold. In 2015 dollars that is the equal of $43,365.

The GT350 squeaks just under $50,000 when you factor in delivery and GG, which the Boss wasn't subject to a GG tax either like the GT350 is.

ADM, like you said, isn't a valid comparison to stick on Ford since it isn't Ford who is doing it, and lots of dealers threw ADM on the Boss cars...especially for 2012.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #11
Dcasandman

Drives: GL450
Stock vs Stock it's evident there's a gap in performance. Will average joe feel it probably not, so they will purchase what they like the most. As far as hard core guys not one mustang or Camaro will be stock. Both cars will have handling enhancements sway, coilovers, pads, brakes. They will also be far from stock power and in both cars you can pretty much dial the number you want at your own risk. It always comes down to are you ford or Chevy or which can you live with more for average Joe. I don't think ford really needs to answer. They have beautiful built vehicle that performs with near endless possibilities or options. Just the same as the Camaro. I don't care for many special editions. They often just barely perform better and for the cost I'm sure I could equal the performance aftermarket.
Dcasandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #12
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post

Secretary car is the appropriate term. I see more girls driving 5.0s than guys. They are a nice looking car. If it had another 100hp, I'd be thinking about it.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #13
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Secretary car is the appropriate term. I see more girls driving 5.0s than guys. They are a nice looking car. If it had another 100hp, I'd be thinking about it.
I personally prefer the mustang due to it's cleaner and more aggressive look. To each their own.

Don't get me wrong, the Camaro has a few good spots too, just not enough of them for me. The GT mustang doesn't either tho.