Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Balok

Drives: 2014 Spring Edition SS
Modesta BC-05 Glass coating on my SS

I just wanted to post this in the detail forum in case anyone was interested in this coating and wanted some practical feedback. I'd like to explain my personal reasons for going with this treatment so you know where I'm coming from.

When I decided to do this, one of the main reasons was that my current home does not have a garage or even car port so the best I could do is cover the car with a high quality cover which I did. So I was looking for something to add a little protection, especially from UV which is so damaging to the paint.

Secondly, I really do not get much enjoyment out of spending my limited time washing and waxing my car. I know there are tons of folks who enjoy it and get a lot of satisfaction from it, but I ain't one of them. The two times I took my car to VIR I spent at least 4 hours the next day washing and cleaning all the rubber off the car. I have horribly osteoarthritis in my shoulders which basically means I have no cartilage in the joints and have bone grinding on bone. My shoulders begin to hurt within minutes of even gentle rubbing and they get progressively more painful the longer I make circular or lateral motions with my arms extended. After a full wash and just a simple spray wax I essentially need ice packs and some heavy pain meds, lol.

Put those two things together and a treatment of this sort seemed to be the best option for me. The other main reason was that thinking long term as opposed to short term I feel it's one awesome value. Depending on how much I drive the car, I would probably be looking at a full detail at a minimum of once a year. It's probably best for me not to be anywhere near that car with a buffing wheel or clay bar in my hands as I would no doubt do a hack job on the paint. So I would be looking at paying a professional to do any paint correction and detail job and a high end shop ain't cheep!

I'm about quality and don't mind paying extra for it if I trust the person I'm doing business with and they have a good reputation and are respected by other auto enthusiasts. And The Shine Shop in Greensboro was recommended over and over to me by people whose opinions I respect so I set an appointment and met with them. They listened to my needs, answered my questions and put together an estimate for the Modesta BC-05 of just under $2000. That included a full detail and any paint correction necessary. The more I thought about it the more this looked like an awesome investment. They back their product and as long as I bring it in for a check-up twice a year it should last 7 to 10 years and still keep the same finish as it had when I picked it up. I felt I would spend at least that much paying them to detail and wax it when I needed it done, so it was a no-brainer to me. And they're very conveniently located near my office which makes things even easier! Another benefit is that the BC-05 is very slick and highly resistant to bugs and rubber sticking to it so that will hopefully really help when I track the car. I'll find out in November.

In terms of the finish, I couldn't be happier. In the sun it absolutely gleams it's so bright and clear. The depth that it brings out of the paint is amazing, and the detail of the reflections is just incredible. To think this will last many years and all I have to do is a gentle wash when it needs it is awesome. So I can maintain it with very little effort, drop by every 6 months for a check up and keep a perfect shine and mirror like finish for many years. In my book, that's an awesome investment for my car! I also bought a new house with a garage and will be moving soon, so that will help even more!

Here's some pics, but they don't even come close to doing justice to the reflections and details you see up close!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=25
Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Looks like they did a good job. I'm glad you are happy with it.