Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #141
KXRM

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
There is a difference and I didn't say there wasnt. I said if we use the 'public safety' argument to advocate more laws, bans, etc then there can be alot more liberties we enjoy related to our cars that can be taken away using that logic. And you cannot say that will not happen. If I told people 20 years ago the Government would be outlawing certain foods and drinks under the guise of protecting us from ourselves I would have been called a crackpot back then, but I would have proven right.
I think this boils down to a difference in opinion on what you have the right to do in public areas where the government has built OUR roads. What foods have been outlawed that weren't proven to be harmful? Are you suggesting that we should not regulate the food industry?
Quote:
LMAO at you putting in "extremely"! Yeah, the Founders gave us the right to pursue happiness only in things we extremely enjoy. And no, the Founders did not say we should give up our liberties if its balanced with facts.
I don't believe the founders statement meant they wanted a lawless society. Is a Stop sign necessary to negotiate traffic? No, people could potentially drive around and not need stop signs. However regulations were established to put up stop signs and fine people for ignoring them. Those regulations were established because it has been proven that stop signs improve safety and save lives.
KXRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #142
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Stop Signs impede on my ability to enjoy my Camaro.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #143
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
"My tax dollars payed for this road, I should be able to enjoy it however I see fit!"

Yeah, good luck with that argument.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #144
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Why is gambling illegal? Who does it hurt other than the person who loses money?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #145
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

High-Five Ghost likes!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #146
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by KXRM View Post
What foods have been outlawed that weren't proven to be harmful? Are you suggesting that we should not regulate the food industry?
Happy Meals have been banned in at least one city I can think of. And just this month NYC voted to outlaw large sizes of soft drinks. Foie gras has also been banned in places as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KXRM View Post
I don't believe the founders statement meant they wanted a lawless society. Is a Stop sign necessary to negotiate traffic? No, people could potentially drive around and not need stop signs. However regulations were established to put up stop signs and fine people for ignoring them. Those regulations were established because it has been proven that stop signs improve safety and save lives.
I'm not advocating lawlessness. And I thought we were supposed to stop using strawmen. No one, including me, has advocated removing all Stop signs. Don't be ridiculous. FYI, the 55MPH national speed limit was found to have improved safety and saved thousands of lives. Do you feel we should go back to a national 55MPH speed limit in the name of public safety?

And I'm still waiting for the statistics that prove that this is a public safety issue as opposed to an individual rights issue.
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #147
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I know uh....
Old 09-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #148
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Happy Meals have been banned in at least one city I can think of. And just this month NYC voted to outlaw large sizes of soft drinks. Foie gras has also been banned in places as well.
They have not been outlawed of banned. Just the SALE of them in that area.

Semantics I know but so be it. It is pretty freaking ridiculous.

And I am absolutely on your side on the principle. But Doug (Tag Ur It) as a police officer having seen what he explained made a good enough case for me.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #149
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Your stats. Go to page #4, table #3. Shaded states are "secondary" violation states.

Those dollars saved are tax dollars. Lives saved, well, even one is worth the second it takes to buckle up.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 811140.PDF (168.9 KB, 1225 views)
Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #150
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
The case you make about seatbelts allowing me to have control of my vehicle in a collision is false. Maybe in an older model car without airbags. But, i drive a ZL1 with airbags all around, and when or if they ever deploy, i will not be able to see to control my car let alone control it with bags exploding all around me.
Godsplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #151
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsplumber View Post
The case you make about seatbelts allowing me to have control of my vehicle in a collision is false. Maybe in an older model car without airbags. But, i drive a ZL1 with airbags all around, and when or if they ever deploy, i will not be able to see to control my car let alone control it with bags exploding all around me.
They inflate and deflate so fast that you don't even realize it until they are deflated. Your statement is dead wrong. I had to steer mine to the side after the accident. Save for a few air bag burns on my arms, I walked away without a scratch.

Keep reaching...
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #152
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
The point of a seat belt is to keep your backside firmly planted in the seat. And as long as your backside is firmly planted in that seat, you have control over the brakes of the vehicle.

If you are not wearing your seat belt in a collision, you will likely no longer be firmly planted in your seat, and therefore not in a position to effectively apply the brakes.

You don't need to be able to see to put the brake pedal to the floor.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #153
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Plus I could point out Newton's First Law which is; A body in motion will continue in motion unless acted upon by a outside source. The speed your moving at (and heaven forbid it's head on, your speed + oncoming vehicle speed = speed of motion at impact) is the motion and the outside source is your seatbelt. An airbag + the slowing affect of the seatbelt has been proven again and again to save lives. Air bags alone without the slowing affect of the seatbelt will do nothing to protect you.

And there are three hits in an accident. Hit the tree, you hit the seatbelt/airbag, your internals hit the inside of you. The seatbelt was designed to decrease this speed after you hit the tree and thus the shock on your body.

Watch around the :24 second mark. That's a pretty slow speed and a lot going on inside the car. Imagine without a seat belt.

I'm done after this post. This is like arguing with the stapler on my desk.

Last edited by garcmol; 09-27-2012 at 03:07 PM.
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #154
KXRM

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Well that isn't a ban that is a change in the way food is marketed, two totally different things. I do agree that NYC and San Fran are ridiculous to even consider such things but I digress.
Quote:
I'm not advocating lawlessness. And I thought we were supposed to stop using strawmen. No one, including me, has advocated removing all Stop signs. Don't be ridiculous. FYI, the 55MPH national speed limit was found to have improved safety and saved thousands of lives. Do you feel we should go back to a national 55MPH speed limit in the name of public safety?

And I'm still waiting for the statistics that prove that this is a public safety issue as opposed to an individual rights issue.
Hey, you are the one that started the straw man arguments. Gun control, food control, all these things that you think we should just give in to because law enforcement doesn't want to have to scrap your dead body out of my windshield or off the road.

Also the 55mph national limit was enacted for fuel consumption control, not safety. Some laws are stupid, and poorly conceived, I won't deny that. But some are smart and more universally accepted. Seat belts along with stop signs are pretty universally accepted as safe things to have in and around our public roads.

Take heart though, I am sure there is a guy out there that wishes there were no windshield requirements so he could feel free. Wishes that we could do 200mph to feel free, or wishes he could do meth in his bathroom because that's the way the founding fathers would have wanted it right?

Out of all the things the government regulates, having a strap around you in a 1 ton machine going 70mph down a crowded roadway is the least of my concerns. I actually feel better having mine on. I feel strange in a vehicle without it. Vulnerable you could say.

With that said, I think I have said my peace, but at least now I know that the OPs video wasn't a total waste of money, there are still people out there that believe they are the exception and don't need safety belts.
KXRM is offline   Reply With Quote