Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blau camaro View Post
If you are at 4,100 miles it's time for your first oil and filter change.
Hmm the dealer just told me to follow the oil life percent remaining so I was going to wait til 5000 miles or so. Its out now and fresh but what do you guys recommend for oil change frequency? The dealer noted changing the oil as often as we used to is no longer needed.

My manual says 12000 km or about 7500 miles between oil changes due to the monitoring system on the vehicles now.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Hmm the dealer just told me to follow the oil life percent remaining so I was going to wait til 5000 miles or so. Its out now and fresh but what do you guys recommend for oil change frequency? The dealer noted changing the oil as often as we used to is no longer needed.

My manual says 12000 km or about 7500 miles between oil changes due to the monitoring system on the vehicles now.
If you are an enthusiast and this is your hobby, you will change more often. It's what we do.

But if you are just a driver, doing what the manual and the oil life percentage says, is fine too...

your choice. I changed at 500 and will change again in a year, as I drive less than 6000 a year....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #17
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Thx I'll do it that way from now on. On the plus side took it straight to the dealer & got it changed out so only drove it maybe 5 or 6 miles this way it seemed fine but I know it is correct now for sure & it is nice & clean too.

Cam
Cam,

Your fine dude We'd all check more often cuz I can tell were all crazy over our Camaros even more so than our wives...Ha Ha It's so hard to do he simplest things these cuz our lives are spent over putting food on the table.

Now that your cars oil is corrected just mark on your calendar and start checking once per month. Once you get into that habit you can start to see how much is consumed and you can figure out how long you'll go through a quart.

I too learned a valuable lesson this month also when I started to get that valve tick which indicated I should have checked the oil earlier. My Impalas oil has always kept full no matter when I checked the dip stick but this time for some reason it was most different. I wonder if it;s because I have the 5.3 liter with the AFM device Anyway too late now. I'm so close to the 30K service I can afford to hold my checks for another month and have my service done.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Sorry to hear about your Impala hope it will be okay. Could be the AFM as I have read it can increase oil consumption sometimes. Though I had a 2007 GMC 4x4 5.3 liter with AFM & it was never an issue though I rarely ever pulled the dip either to verify that statement.... Hmmm..Agree 100% on the wives thing too. LOL.

Cam
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your Impala hope it will be okay. Could be the AFM as I have read it can increase oil consumption sometimes. Though I had a 2007 GMC 4x4 5.3 liter with AFM & it was never an issue though I rarely ever pulled the dip either to verify that statement.... Hmmm..Agree 100% on the wives thing too. LOL.

Cam
qcman,

I've heard all about the ins and out of the Impala engine. Anyway I will be checking the oil level much more often (once per month) compared to every couple months.

You mentioned the "oil life monitor"....I use it religiously and use it as a guide to when my services are needed based on my driving habits. Remember it calculates your own time based on your individual driving habits so yours might be different than mine. On my Impala it tells me every 6K it's time for an OCI and so that when it goes in for service and put in Mobil 1 Don't be afraid to use the OLM. This is a well made tool and is designed to help you despite on other forums many people don't trust them at all!

Now that I have a Camaro as a second car I intend to use this device also to keep my GM cars in the best shape possible.

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote