Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #15
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTBY View Post
It's the same load rating. "NO" is Porsche compatible. It doesn't mean it's any more/less of the original tire. I'm sure Pirelli just stamped it with the "NO" so that the P-car guys could run it as well.

I wouldn't worry.
Any tire stamped with "N" has been extensively tested by Porsche as they develop new models they develop tires to suit them. Once the tires pass their test the MFG can brand the "N-spec". NO is the first in the line, as updates of that tire are released by mfg and approved by Porsche - the get marked N-1, N-2 etc.

Here is more details if you have time to read it. Information below is from Porsche website.

The Porsche N-Spec Story

Design and Testing

Porsche designs and manufacturers some of the highest performance vehicles in the world. Because of the essential role that tires play in vehicle performance, Porsche has integrated tires in the design process throughout vehicle development. Porsche original equipment tires must successfully pass the tire company’s laboratory tests, road tests and race track evaluations to confirm that prototype tires meet Porsche’s noise, hydroplaning, handling and high-speed durability requirements. Only upon successful completion of these tests, will tires be released for production.

Branded as N-Spec Production tires that have passed all of the tests and received Porsche’s engineering department’s release can be branded with an N-specification. The N-specification brandings include: N-0 (N-zero), N-1, N-2, N-3, N-4, N-5 or N-6. These markings on a tire’s sidewall clearly and permanently identify them as approved by Porsche for their vehicles. The N-0 marking is assigned to the first approved version of a tire design. As that design is refined externally or internally, the later significant evolutions will result in a new generation of the tire to be branded with N-1, N-2, N-3, etc., in succession. When a completely new tire design is approved, it receives the N-0 branding and the succession begins again.

Mixing N-Spec Tires Use only tire types tested by Porsche. Only tires with the same manufacturer and with the same specification code (e.g. “N0”, “N1” …) should be mounted on the vehicle. Tires should be replaced no less than in pairs on one axle at a time. Only tires of the same tire make and type must be used. Since many Porsche vehicles are fitted with different sized tires on their front and rear axles, this requires matching the tire brand, tire name and N-specification front to rear. While the tire manufacturers may also build other tires featuring the same name, size and speed rating as the N-specification tires for non-Porsche applications, these tires may not be branded with the Porsche N-specification because they do not share the same internal construction and/or tread compound ingredients as the N-specification tires.

Replacing N-Spec Tires If a vehicle was originally delivered with N-specification tires that have been discontinued and are no longer available, it is recommended to replace all four tires to a higher numeric N-specification design appropriate for that vehicle. In case of tire damage such as cuts, punctures, cracks or sidewall bulges that cause a single tire to be replaced for safety reasons, the remaining matching tire on that axle must not exceed 30 percent wear. If the remaining tire has more than 30 percent wear from new, it should also be replaced. This rule applies to all four tires on all wheel drive vehicles. Handling inconsistencies may result if this is not done.
Break-in of New Tires Initially, new tires do not offer their full traction. Drivers should therefore drive at moderate speeds during the first 60-100 miles (100-200km). If new tires are installed on only one axle, a noticeable change in handling occurs due to the different tread depth of the other tires. This happens especially if only rear tires are replaced. However, this condition disappears as new tires are broken in. Drivers should adjust their driving style accordingly.

Tire Aging Additionally, even though only the world’s highest performance tires can earn the Porsche N-Spec approval, eventually all tires will either wear out or age out. The chemical additives that make rubber elastic lose their effectiveness in the course of time and the rubber becomes brittle and cracks. Considering the performance capabilities of a Porsche, under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used. Porsche dealers can recommend the most current replacement tire options for your vehicle.

How is a Tire Selected for a Porsche? The tires selected for a Porsche are chosen based on the model (sports car or SUV)‚ and the job the tires are asked to do. The 997, 996, Boxster and Cayman S are examples of the world’s finest exotic performance cars with some of the same capabilities found in previous generations of racecars. For these vehicles Porsche selects Maximum Ultra High Performance Summer tires from the world's leading tire manufacturers: Bridgestone, Continental, Michelin, Pirelli and Yokohama. And since Cayenne puts the sport in sport utility vehicle, emphasis is placed on high limits of performance balanced with the utility demanded by the Cayenne owner. Pirelli Scorpion A/T All-Terrain tires are chosen for highway use in all weather conditions, including snow and cold climates, as well as for off-road use. Continental 4X4 Contact and Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires are designed for highway use in all weather conditions including snow and cold climates. Bridgestone Turanza tires target a balance of performance and ride comfort for highway summer conditions. Continental 4X4 SportContact, Michelin 4x4 Diamaris, and Pirelli PZero Rosso tires arechosen for sports car-like handling in both wet and dry summer conditions.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #16
markstoys

Drives: 2015 Z28 #141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post

While the tire manufacturers may also build other tires featuring the same name, size and speed rating as the N-specification tires for non-Porsche applications, these tires may not be branded with the Porsche N-specification because they do not share the same internal construction and/or tread compound ingredients as the N-specification tires.
This is the point I can't get clarified--can you mix the Trofeos or not? Everyone wants to be safe and says not to mix N-spec and non N-spec. If there is no difference--only that one was tested by Porsche and the other was not--then there should be no problem. If there really is a difference in construction, it is a big deal. So which is it? I want to run the 305s in the front and 325s in the rear, but only the 305s have the N-spec. Is it advisable or not?
markstoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #17
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbland60 View Post
Hey neighbor all I can tell you is I heard the888r hook real well and the 4s which I have, have weak side walls
I'm not surprised the 4s has weak sidewalls. Michelin is known for that.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by markstoys View Post
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I have been looking at these at Tire Rack for a while now and this is what I saw: It seems that Pirelli changed the 305-30-19 to a Porsche spec. For a while they had the tire in both configurations, but now only in the Porsche spec. I have been unable to determine what difference (if any) there is between the two. Searching other forums it seems that there may or may not be a difference in the sidewall and/or shoulder area of the tire--but I could not find a definite answer anywhere.

And I don't know if this tire comes standard on any car any more, but my research on other forums shows that there are TONS of guys who track high end cars (Porsche, McLaren, Audi, Ferrari, etc.) who LOVE this tire. Hopefully there is enough demand for Pirelli to keep making it.
There are also cheaper. I am so glad that the car I drive now I can get Trofeo Rs for like a buck 50 .
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #19
POINTBY

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I just learned from my local Discount Tire that these are in fact discontinued. They said the set they just found for me came out of Texas and were the last set. I hope this isn't true! But if it is, what next?? Cup 2??
POINTBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:22 PM   #20
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Like new set for sale. $1200
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #21
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
I just learned from my local Discount Tire that these are in fact discontinued. They said the set they just found for me came out of Texas and were the last set. I hope this isn't true! But if it is, what next?? Cup 2??
I would try the new Goodyears F1 G3 R's that come on the new ZL1 1LE as a comparable tire once they become more populated in the supply system.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #22
Dixon Racing

Drives: 2015 Z28 Red Hot
So I ordered some Nitto Nt01's and used them at the track last week, cant compare them to the Trofeo's but they did great. Once these wear out I'll probably try some Toyo R888R's or maybe even slicks.

The Pirelli's are just too expensive for such a low life span track tire.
Dixon Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #23
POINTBY

CORRECTION - the Porsche spec (NO) Trofeo R tire is the new part # that replaces the original part # for our Z/28. And the NO tire is NOT discontinued. Great news!!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #24
X77-69z28

Drives: 69 Z/28, 70 Z28, 99SS, 15 Z/28 2018
That's the news I got today as well!! The saga continues
99 SS hugger orange 6spd no t-tops 1 of 54
15 Z/28 white AC, radio
X77-69z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #25
X77-69z28

Drives: 69 Z/28, 70 Z28, 99SS, 15 Z/28 2018
Does anyone have the part number for the N-Zero Trofeo-R?
99 SS hugger orange 6spd no t-tops 1 of 54
15 Z/28 white AC, radio
X77-69z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #26
POINTBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by X77-69z28 View Post
Does anyone have the part number for the N-Zero Trofeo-R?
Call Tirerack
Old 07-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #27
POINTBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBark View Post
The Pirelli's are just too expensive for such a low life span track tire.
That's all relative.

I enjoy driving my Z/28 as much as my $250k GT3RS.

The Pirelli is the best tire for our cars. Period. And if I go through a couple sets per year for 1,000 smiles, well that's a relatively small price to pay to me.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #28
serviceguy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 # 89, 69 Camaro, 2013 ZL1
Quote:
CORRECTION - the Porsche spec (NO) Trofeo R tire is the new part # that replaces the original part # for our Z/28. And the NO tire is NOT discontinued. Great news!!
Great news ! .....I love these tires !
serviceguy is offline   Reply With Quote