Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #15
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
I have been running mobile 1 synthetic extended mileage oil for the past 5 years now, it is rated up to 15,000 miles. the problem with this is that oil filters are not matched up to go the 15,000 miles. in the past i was buying the best filter i could get and running them upwards of 13000 miles with no issue. i would feel the oil and inspect it when drained and even with 13000 hwy miles on it the oil felt actually pretty thick like new oil would just black. at 7000 miles it was still semi translucent. I now run the oil to 13000 in the camaro but with a top mounted filter it is easy to change out the filter every 4 or 5 thousand miles. the main thing when running your cars mileage up vetween oil changes it to every 2 to 3000 check the level because you will need to add some most likely. adding some new to replenish the old that was lost also helps freshen up the oil some. you will save a ton of money doing it this way especially if your on the hwy alot. i used to change it every 3000 with regular oil but for me it was every month i was changing oil.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #16
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I got the same recall notice for an Acadia w/ 3.6 L I use to own. It was to reprogram the Oil Life Monitor due to premature timing chain failures.

That tells me two things. The timing chains aren't so great. And, those real long oil change intervals may not be so great if they can contribute to an engine problem.

I never bought into the OLM theory, 3 -5 K changes for me. I've done a ton of oil changes on other peoples cars where they take it down to 0% on the OLM, and that oil looks nasty. I'll trust my eyes before theories, and now there is a recall to back up that suspicion that real long oil change intervals may not be so great - gee who'd of thunk it.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #17
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Another problem with these long oil change intervals is that most people never check their oil. How many engines have been ruined by people assuming everything is fine because of the monitor running their cars out of oil.

I'd never use the oil life monitor. I go by how it looks on the stick. I know using the oil monitor is "probably" ok, but "probably" doesn't cut it when it comes to an engine on a $35,000 car.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #18
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
I check mine regularly and change it around 35-40%
Old 05-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #19
Markel

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS/RS
Thumbs up

Thank you for posting this!
Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #20
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
its good in theory,, but it just doesnt work,, especially when people use cheap oil,, and no one checks their oil anymore, then people complain that they have their low oil light come on but they have 8000 miles on their oil change.

gm is re-programming many of the v6 engine ecm's to make the oil change light come on sooner because of all the problems these engines are having with oil issues
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #21
scottyvegas
X SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRSM6 1988 Sportside
Great info..
MODS: PEDDERS XA COIL OVERS, STAGE 3 CAM, McLEOD CLUTCH, SKIP SHIFT, , HURST SHORT THROW, CAI INTAKE, SCOOP, WASHER RELO KIT, KOOKS HEADERS, KOOKS HI FLOW CATS, CUSTOM TUNE, QTP CUT OUTS, PAINTED STRIPES, PAINTED SS EMBLEMS, PAINTED FIN, PAINTED REAR TAIL LAMP BEZELS, HERITAGE GRILLE, DUCTS, AAC STUFF, BAER ROTORS, HAWK PADS, FUZZY DICE, LASER BEAMS, DISCO BALL, SYBIAN & 3 CHROME VALVE STEM CAPS................
scottyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #22
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearer2010SS View Post
Just changed my oil in both my cars:

Camaro: 7,200 miles with 28% left after one year. The manual says to wait for the DIC or one year.

Fiesta: 10,076 miles when the oil change sensor went off. The Ford manual states to change the oil every 10,000 miles.

- For the record many car companies go a lot further than even 10,000 miles. Oil is SOOOOO much better than was when 10W40 and 3,000 miles were the standard.
Looks like I will be going to the one year interval too. My Mobil1 oil has 5,200 miles on it and 40% Oil Life. in 10 months.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #23
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
I'd never use the oil life monitor. I go by how it looks on the stick. I know using the oil monitor is "probably" ok, but "probably" doesn't cut it when it comes to an engine on a $35,000 car.
so you'd rather trust your eyes (that I'm sure are calibrated to judge actual contamination of oil, not just its "dirty look") over a system designed by engineers for the sole purpose of telling you if your oil is good or not?

sorry, but "How it looks on the stick" doesnt cut it when it comes to an engine on a $35,000 car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
its good in theory,, but it just doesnt work,, especially when people use cheap oil,, and no one checks their oil anymore, then people complain that they have their low oil light come on but they have 8000 miles on their oil change.

gm is re-programming many of the v6 engine ecm's to make the oil change light come on sooner because of all the problems these engines are having with oil issues
define cheap oil.

you talking regular dino oil vs synthetic? the system works with both types of oil.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #24
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
OnStar is "on my butt" about the Camaro OLM reading like in the 80s yet it's been a bit over a year since an oil change.

Quote:
Your vehicle is due for required maintenance because your oil life system has not been reset for 12 months.
Hence the little warning sign on my OnStar report. They suspect I'm not resetting my OLM, but fugg 'em. Car only has 6800 miles on it. So when I change my oil, THEN I'll reset it.

I've used the OLM to schedule oil changes for all the vehicles so equipped and never had an issue with any of them. None. I believe...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #25
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I can't remember the last time I changed my oil. Checked it yesterday... Full, pretty clean and 51% on the indicator. I think I changed it last fall...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #26
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
you talking regular dino oil vs synthetic? the system works with both types of oil.

the system doesnt know what you put in for oil,, the system does not do any tests on the oil,, it is just a calculated value based on rpm, speed, load, time, temperature

you could put drain oil back in your car, reset the OLM to 100% and the computer will start its calculation again, same as any other oil used
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #27
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Two years, two oil changes on the 5600 mile CTS. Had 78% left on the OLM when it was changed last time. (Mobil 1 and a Wix filter) It's driven 4 miles every third day to work, and has one trip to Kentucky on it.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #28
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
the system doesnt know what you put in for oil,, the system does not do any tests on the oil,, it is just a calculated value based on rpm, speed, load, time, temperature

you could put drain oil back in your car, reset the OLM to 100% and the computer will start its calculation again, same as any other oil used
OLM is not a check to see if someone is being an idiot and putting drain back oil in it or simply resetting the OLM. So you don't believe in it. Ok, we get it. So what? Big deal. You can't convince me that it doesn't have merit. And it comes with the cars nowadays, why not use it?

You have to make some assumptions when running a computer program. The program is assuming once you reset the system, you put in the proper and approved grade/quality oil and keep it topped off. It figures it out based on those assumptions. If you don't live up to your end of the bargain, then nobody or no program can protect you from being a dumbass and doing dumbass things. I'm speaking rhetorically here.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote