Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-29-2015, 10:44 PM   #1
HEAVYCHEVY10
TEAM NIGHTFURY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
L99 tune

Just installed headers an a intake for a buddies 2014 ss (auto) he is in need of a tune now. Do the hand held tuners take off the fuel management crap and the check engine light from the rear O2 sensors ? I have never used one I have only been on the dyno when tuning. If anyone could point me in the right direction ?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I would say mail order tune if no dyno tune
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
I would say mail order tune if no dyno tune
+1. Rhino79 does them and knows L99s very well...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
If you have HP Tuners, I can help you with a mail order platform.

Thanks
Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
If you have HP Tuners, I can help you with a mail order platform.

Thanks
Phil
How much?
Old 03-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAVYCHEVY10 View Post
Just installed headers an a intake for a buddies 2014 ss (auto) he is in need of a tune now. Do the hand held tuners take off the fuel management crap and the check engine light from the rear O2 sensors ? I have never used one I have only been on the dyno when tuning. If anyone could point me in the right direction ?
Our MyCal handheld device will provide a custom tune based on your modifications and fuel octane level. Once the tune is uploaded any future modifications to your Camaro or changes to the tune file can be updated at no extra cost.

For more information regarding the MyCal device click the link below...

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...-SS-tuner.html

Also I saw you mentioned a concern about your air fuel management system, which is addressed with our displacement on demand kit. Best part is it also gives you the opportunity to upgrade you camshaft as well as inferior valve train components.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...ail-Order.html
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post
Our MyCal handheld device will provide a custom tune based on your modifications and fuel octane level. Once the tune is uploaded any future modifications to your Camaro or changes to the tune file can be updated at no extra cost.

For more information regarding the MyCal device click the link below...

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...-SS-tuner.html

Also I saw you mentioned a concern about your air fuel management system, which is addressed with our displacement on demand kit. Best part is it also gives you the opportunity to upgrade you camshaft as well as inferior valve train components.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...ail-Order.html
"Inferior valve train components"? I assume you mean if a cam upgrade is done. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the L99 valve train components are pretty darn good.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
HEAVYCHEVY10
TEAM NIGHTFURY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Thanks guys !!!
Old 03-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
Livernois Motorsports

Just for example the LS7 lifter included in our kit is a better component when compared to the stock lifters used for fuel management.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:51 AM   #10
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
"Inferior valve train components"? I assume you mean if a cam upgrade is done. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the L99 valve train components are pretty darn good.
Actually, the L99 is known for having a suspect valve train. Even non modified cars have known to fail. If you mod your engine with a tune, that would void the warranty, the first place to start is replacing the lifters with LS7 lifters, better pushrods, springs, etc. So you might as well do the cam.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post
Just for example the LS7 lifter included in our kit is a better component when compared to the stock lifters used for fuel management.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
Actually, the L99 is known for having a suspect valve train. Even non modified cars have known to fail. If you mod your engine with a tune, that would void the warranty, the first place to start is replacing the lifters with LS7 lifters, better pushrods, springs, etc. So you might as well do the cam.
Thanks, but I'm just questioning the "inferior valve train components" statement. I understand that if I'm going to a more aggressive cam I should have the valves, lifters, rods, springs upgraded as well (along with some other parts, depending on the cam) - which I certainly would. But since we're just talking a "custom tune" here (which we were) based on adding headers and a CAI, what's wrong with the stock L99 valve train?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
Livernois Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Thanks, but I'm just questioning the "inferior valve train components" statement. I understand that if I'm going to a more aggressive cam I should have the valves, lifters, rods, springs upgraded as well (along with some other parts, depending on the cam) - which I certainly would. But since we're just talking a "custom tune" here (which we were) based on adding headers and a CAI, what's wrong with the stock L99 valve train?
The custom tuning that our calibrator would provide VIA our MyCalibrator tuning interface would have no issues with accommodating for a CAI and headers. But, the fact remains that there would still be Active Fuel Management/Displacement on Demand componentry inside of the valvetrain, which we all know is the weak point of the platform as a whole. AFM/DOD should be addressed both mechanically with better springs, LS2/7 lifters, etc... BUT also needs to be accounted for with custom tuning. This is why we offer a COMPLETE mail-order kit for the L99 cars. If you are going to begin modifying the L99 with performance in mind, the AFM/DOD systems needs to be your top priority. Are we saying that you cannot mod your L99 without getting rid of the AFM/DOD system, no. But we have been doing this for a LONG time and have made 110% streetable cars that on pump gas make WELL over 700WHP. We are not trying to dupe anyone into doing something based upon opinion, we are advising based upon the experience that we have from our 20+ years of professional racing and 10+ years of experience in custom tuning using our own proprietary tuning software and hardware that we designed in house.