Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
peregrine_alpha

Drives: Camaro RS
Exclamation Braking: Performance vs Noise

Hello Mates!

i've been suffering from my braking system since a while. I have started tuning my 2lt Camaro and till now have around 400HP. My GM Pads are not performing well anymore. I moved to Raybestos Ceramic then Wagner Quick Stop ceramic. I got very poor performance. Even after installing a brand new R1 concept rotors.

Last week i went for HAWK Pro-Plus ferro-carbon pads. i have to say they were soooo performing wow! but they produced an ultra high noise that i really couldnt support in my ears. very very high, louder than my borla exhaust. I tried to wear them a bit but with no noticeable results.

So now i am researching again and dropped on the HAWK HPS pads, that are a bit less performance than the PRO PLUS, but still on the website they say that they are "Virtually noise-free". has anyone tried them? or any one with a solution for the PRO PLUS extreme loud noise? any work around ?

oh and a question:
Performance vs Noise
what would you choose
would you go excellent powerful braking with high noise that makes u look like driving an old car... or sacrifice a little performance to get a mixture of good braking and ride comfort ?
peregrine_alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
I have the Hawks HPS and they squeal like hell. But IDGAF because I just want to watch the world burn.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
peregrine_alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
I have the Hawks HPS and they squeal like hell. But IDGAF because I just want to watch the world burn.
Thanks mate! and what about performance are u happy from your HPS?

BTW Congrats on ur 777 post
Old 10-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Are you still on the stock v6 calipers?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Wilsonation

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Vert
I have the HPS Ferro-carbon on my charger right now, also had them on a firebird mated with EBC rotors and my dodge truck. Best braking combo I've ever had was the hawk pads with EBC rotors. I have never had any brake noise from hawk pads. You must follow their burnishing instructions to a TEE. Also, make sure you use the grease they supply! On the backs of the pads and all around the edge, where the metal backing plate meets the calipers!!

If you install them and brake them in correctly you should never have brake chatter/noise. Take them off and check for cracking on the pad surface. If there is ANY cracking, send them back defective.

My experience? I'm a parts pro and sales manager at a retailer, Advance Auto Parts. For two years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
peregrine_alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Are you still on the stock v6 calipers?
Yes still on stock calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
I have the HPS Ferro-carbon on my charger right now, also had them on a firebird mated with EBC rotors and my dodge truck. Best braking combo I've ever had was the hawk pads with EBC rotors. I have never had any brake noise from hawk pads. You must follow their burnishing instructions to a TEE. Also, make sure you use the grease they supply! On the backs of the pads and all around the edge, where the metal backing plate meets the calipers!!

If you install them and brake them in correctly you should never have brake chatter/noise. Take them off and check for cracking on the pad surface. If there is ANY cracking, send them back defective.

My experience? I'm a parts pro and sales manager at a retailer, Advance Auto Parts. For two years now.

Thanks mate for ur detailed reply that was really helpful ill try to redo the burnishing process, my hawks came without the grease:( and ill concider EBC for next time.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Wilsonation

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine_alpha View Post
Thanks mate for ur detailed reply that was really helpful ill try to redo the burnishing process, my hawks came without the grease:( and ill concider EBC for next time.
If there was no grease, that might be why you're getting noise. Head over to your local auto parts store and ask for a pack of ceramic brake lube. The reason you want ceramic lube is simple, it withstands extreme temperatures. Permatex makes some in a small purple package. They also make the low temp stuff in a green package. Again, apply to any metal to metal contact points between the caliper and the pads. Make sure to not get any on the braking surfaces!

10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Hawk HPS suck and intermittently sound like a dump truck braking. They'll be quiet for days then all of a sudden go into dump truck mode - usually when you're trying to look cool next to a hot chick.

The only good thing about them is they are virtually dust free.

Performance sucks compared to stock pads and noisier.
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
I agree the grease is a must on the back of the pads mating the pistons. Make sure it is coated good. Then make sure you follow the proper bedding in process for the pads which usually involves some pretty hard stops.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Going with ceramic pads always trades off performance for less dust and quietness. Have you thought of acquiring some used SS brakes? They are more than capable of handling your level of power with oem pads.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
peregrine_alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
If there was no grease, that might be why you're getting noise. Head over to your local auto parts store and ask for a pack of ceramic brake lube. The reason you want ceramic lube is simple, it withstands extreme temperatures. Permatex makes some in a small purple package. They also make the low temp stuff in a green package. Again, apply to any metal to metal contact points between the caliper and the pads. Make sure to not get any on the braking surfaces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
I agree the grease is a must on the back of the pads mating the pistons. Make sure it is coated good. Then make sure you follow the proper bedding in process for the pads which usually involves some pretty hard stops.
I did apply original GM grease from my chevrolet service center. but with no results :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Hawk HPS suck and intermittently sound like a dump truck braking. They'll be quiet for days then all of a sudden go into dump truck mode - usually when you're trying to look cool next to a hot chick.

The only good thing about them is they are virtually dust free.

Performance sucks compared to stock pads and noisier.
I was just about to buy them!!! thanks for the warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Going with ceramic pads always trades off performance for less dust and quietness. Have you thought of acquiring some used SS brakes? They are more than capable of handling your level of power with oem pads.
That's a great idea to go for the SS 4 pistons system!!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
hard stops are bad for bedding new pads. only nice and easy stops for about the first 50-100 miles.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
I've never had squeaks with my Hawks before. Guess I'm lucky? But I like them

and I've always broken in pads hard never easy. But I could be wrong
Old 10-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
With the Hawk HPS pads, it's all in how you bed them in and grease the backs, pins, retainers, etc.. If you do not do it properly you will have noisy brakes, If you do then they are very quiet and have great stopping power with less dust than stock. The HP Plus will squeak no matter what you do; that's just the nature of the pad.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote