Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #113
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Absolutely!
Of course, if/when Chevy actually decides to produce a Z28, it's likely there would be nothing for it to compare directly to in Ford's Mustang lineup.

Why do so many think that the Z28 needs to compete with something and not just let it stand on its own merits?
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #114
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Not sure why you would consider anything I said as depressing?

Having owned not 1, but 2 Z28's in the past, I agree the designation certainly has an appeal to many buyers that "SS" or "ZL1" does not have and would prompt additional sales. It's the amount of sales it will drive that I question.
do you not see the negativity in your statement?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #115
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
do you not see the negativity in your statement?
Oh, I see, because I don't share the same opinion as some do that releasing a Z28 is going to cause a mass wave of current SS owners to run out and trade their cars in for the new model or bring a plethora of buyers who have yet to purchase a Camaro out of the woodwork, I'm being negative. Got it.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #116
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Oh, I see, because I don't share the same opinion as some do that releasing a Z28 is going to cause a mass wave of current SS owners to run out and trade their cars in for the new model or bring a plethora of buyers who have yet to purchase a Camaro out of the woodwork, I'm being negative. Got it.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #117
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Why do so many think that the Z28 needs to compete with something and not just let it stand on its own merits?
If you turn the only light in one dark room on, how would you know just how bright it is? Or whether it's brighter, the same as, or dimmer than the only light in the dark room next door? There's a difference between satisfying the necessary function and satisfying the idea that you made (or are about to make) the right choice.

Enough philosophy.

Thinking as a buyer. Because not everybody can evaluate a car in a vacuum. Because even if they could and the car somehow didn't quite measure up, then what would be their "plan B"? It's just natural to end up comparing it against . . . something.

Thinking as a mfr. Because Chevy would hope to sell the car to a wider segment than just the Camaro faithful, or the Chevy faithful, or even the GM-faithful, it's got to be able to compare favorably against . . . something. . . . I doubt that there are any undiscovered enthusiast niches as big as the 'ponycar' segment was the year before the first Mustang debuted. Certainly not if you intend to maintain any semblance of the ponycar essence at all and plan on certifying whatever that might be.

Quote:
Of course, if/when Chevy actually decides to produce a Z28, it's likely there would be nothing for it to compare directly to in Ford's Mustang lineup.
Though I suppose if this happens, a Z28 would suddenly become the sole source for anybody looking for a hardcore NA "ponycar" with emphasis on road course and canyon running instead of the dragstrip, cruising, and shows.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-11-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #118
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by He11bent View Post
Dude, You drive a Miata and have posted almost 2400 times on this forum. Its great you want a Z28 and I applaud your enthusiasm. But really? Your posting about articles youve read and your not even a GM customer and your making demands on how R&D money is spent? How much weight do you think that carries?
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #119
A-little-perspective

Drives: 2011 C63
Quote:
All kidding aside, I do believe the Boss 302 will be only a two year run just like the original was. That does not mean something else might not take it's place in the lineup though.
Perhaps the Boss 351. That makes the most sense. Everything adds up, the new 5.8L, end of production on the Boss 302, and end of the current body style.
A-little-perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #120
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssasdad View Post
Am I here to amuse you?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #121
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
First of all, NOWHERE has "GM" said "The 1LE will run with the BOSS LS". This sort of remark is what has many in the world questioning if the ZL1 is "sub-par" becuse it doesn't "outrun the [2013] GT500", something apparently alluded to by someone at GM, offhandedly.

What GM said was the "1LE is capable of a sub-3:00 lap @ VIR". YOU can draw whatever conclusions YOU wish from that statement...

Let's NOT start a "war of words" BEFORE the 1LE arrives in showrooms...

MRC is NOT "mandatory" for a Z28. The 1LE's enhanced FE4 will suit just fine.

1LE @ 3920 lb. Curb = Z28 Curb with wet LS7, excepting the 6-piston front Brembos from the ZL1. 4000 lb Z28 is not a necessary stat...

Using the 1LE as the basis for an aftermarket-installed LS7 suffers two significant problems: NO GM warranty, bumper-to-bumper; Cost-prohibitive (the pull-out LS3's value would not cover the re-and-re charges, so you're on the hook for the LS7's full $13K cost + MORE = ZL1 money, without a suitable warranty)
If the ZL1 differential is included with the proposed LS7 Z28 then the Z28 would be closer to 4,000 pounds. The LS3 can already break the SS differential, not just the axles.

We will just have to wait and see once the 1LE arrives if it can beat or hang with the Boss at VIR or anywhere. If the 1LE is competitive then things get more confusing for the Z28.

And what if SLP supplements the GM Drive Train Warranty? And they get a really good deal on LS7s because GM wants to keep the Z28ers happy? Even the GM LS7 Z28 could break $50k once you include development, manufacturing and regulatory costs for a very limited model.

Internet car building and racing is fun, isn't it. We both can be right.

Still I hope someone builds the LS7 Z28 as defined here faithful. Respect.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #122
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Personally I'd like to see any "supplement" business go to Pete. SLP was a business venture with Camaro in it's past life. Time for change.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #123
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The 1LE is really a better comparison to a GT with a Track Pack. Even the pricing is very close.
Ah good point about the Track Pack. That is the comparison test I want to see and lets add the standard SS to the mix. The FE4 has upgraded the handling a bit.

Camaro 1SS base with the ZL1 exhaust option vs. Mustang GT Track Pack and
Camaro 1LE vs Boss (And throw in a Boss LS for good measure)

With this we can measure the improvement of the FE4 and see how the 1LE stacks up against both. Bet the Mustangs win at the drag strip.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #124
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Personally I'd like to see any "supplement" business go to Pete. SLP was a business venture with Camaro in it's past life. Time for change.
Fine by me. SLP was just an example of who could do it.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #125
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I second this motion!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #126
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Camaro 1SS base with the ZL1 exhaust option vs. Mustang GT Track Pack and
Camaro 1LE vs Boss (And throw in a Boss LS for good measure)
And lets add:

Pedderized 1LE versus Pedderized Boss