Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
pannhead51

Drives: 2SS convertible
Top all messed-up

13' 2SS with 7500 miles ..maybe had the top up & down 20 times and this !!
Attached Images

pannhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Looks like "5th-bow disease", but others more experienced will chime in for sure... Hopefully it'll get repaired without any more issues.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
pannhead51

How long in the shop is this 'fix' ..does anyone know ? This is my daily-driver.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
angrykiller1

Drives: 2011 2ss inferno orange convertible
if they stock the parts a couple of days, otherwise ordering parts should be a week. problem is that mine has done that a few times. there is not a good fix available
angrykiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
walters477

Drives: white 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannhead51 View Post
How long in the shop is this 'fix' ..does anyone know ? This is my daily-driver.
Mine had the water bag and 5th bow done at the same time, it took them 1 day to get the parts and 1 day to fix it. The shop worked with us and kept us informed and took us in and showed us what they were doing. The service manager and the tech treated us very well. Im very happy with Clements Chev in Rochester mn.
walters477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
angrykiller1

Drives: 2011 2ss inferno orange convertible
im gonna tell you the truth as i know it. not hating but just stating from experience the 5th bow catches the water bag and bends. problem is now the water bag is surely torn. you wont know for a long time because maybe there is no rain for a while. a car wash will put a few drops of water in your carpet and its hard to detect. when it rains on your car for hours the back floorboard will be soaked. wish you better luck than i have. find us on Facebook at 'camaro convertible top problems'
angrykiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Yep, 5th bow broke..... On the plus side, the dealership should give you a loaner to drive while yours is in the shop. Good luck!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
13' 2SS with 7500 miles ..maybe had the top up & down 20 times and this !!
Focus on the model year... 2013
Looks like 6th Generation is the next best chance of a permanent fix.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
pannhead51

Thanks for the responses..It goes in Tuesday morning to John L Sullivan in Roseville, CA... I'll keep the forum advised
Old 05-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
IL-Tracker
That's why.........

Drives: Traded a 2011 2SS/RS A6 Blk Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrykiller1 View Post
im gonna tell you the truth as i know it. not hating but just stating from experience the 5th bow catches the water bag and bends. problem is now the water bag is surely torn. you wont know for a long time because maybe there is no rain for a while. a car wash will put a few drops of water in your carpet and its hard to detect. when it rains on your car for hours the back floorboard will be soaked. wish you better luck than i have. find us on Facebook at 'camaro convertible top problems'

Exactly - what he said.

Although we traded ours in November 2012, in April 2012 it looked just like yours. Brought into dealer to replace the 5th bow and they noticed it had worn into the water management bag. Would have only taken a day to replace, but they needed to overnight a new bag, so got the car back in two days. Just make sure the dealership closely examines the water management bag for wear while the top is off for the 5th bow replacement. If worn, have it replaced as well.

Good luck
IL-Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Thanks for the responses..It goes in Tuesday morning to John L Sullivan in Roseville, CA... I'll keep the forum advised
Sorry to hear about the top issues. I'm happy you're taking it to the dealership for an official diagnosis. Could you PM me your contact information regarding this issue? I'd like to monitor the repair process to your convertible. Thanks!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
rewski

Drives: '12 45th 2SS Vert
Well I just heard from my dealer in Denver that a newly designed 5th bow is in the works. From last Oct to about 2 weeks ago my 2012 45th vert was in and out of the shop more times than I can count. What started with its first oil change (in Oct 2012), led to a top (canvas) replacement, followed by new mechanicals, followed by a big leak in the back seat, followed by a 5th bow and water management bag replacement, followed by a completely new carpet! Something is still not seated correctly on the side of the 5th bow on the passenger side but the top is water tight (dealer flooded the top with water while the entire carpet was out). I'll just continue to hold out for a permanent fix.
rewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewski View Post
Well I just heard from my dealer in Denver that a newly designed 5th bow is in the works. From last Oct to about 2 weeks ago my 2012 45th vert was in and out of the shop more times than I can count. What started with its first oil change (in Oct 2012), led to a top (canvas) replacement, followed by new mechanicals, followed by a big leak in the back seat, followed by a 5th bow and water management bag replacement, followed by a completely new carpet! Something is still not seated correctly on the side of the 5th bow on the passenger side but the top is water tight (dealer flooded the top with water while the entire carpet was out). I'll just continue to hold out for a permanent fix.
Wow!

That's incredible. Sincere apologies for the lengthy process you endured in order to correct the concern. Are you still experiencing this issue or did the adjustments make it better for you?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
rewski

Drives: '12 45th 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Wow!

That's incredible. Sincere apologies for the lengthy process you endured in order to correct the concern. Are you still experiencing this issue or did the adjustments make it better for you?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
William,

No it is not perfect but my dealer and I agreed to wait until a perm fix is in place. Functionally it seems fine and time will tell when I start cycling the top soon (I'm currently unable to drive after having right knee surgery)!

Adam
rewski is offline   Reply With Quote