Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & '70 Chevelle SS
2013 AGM 2SS/RS M6 "VaneSSa"

It took about a month of searching, and although I was pushing for Summit White, it seemed that most of those available in my area had SLP packages added to them, upping the price out of my comfort level... after the third time of having my guy ask if I was interested in any other color, I started to consider Ashen Gray Metallic... and then it became an obsession... there happened to be one available with a few options more than I was looking for, but with some haggling, we were able to get it to a price point I was comfortable with...

For the past several years I've obsessed with getting a C5 Corvette and creating somewhat of a C5R tribute, without going full-on-clone... then when the wife and I started discussing kids, it made more sense to get a Camaro, namely for the backseat. My love for the Corvette hasn't waned any, and I decided to roll some of those C5R ideas into my Camaro build, which leads me to a few of the parts I plan to install (Lingenfelter/ACS GTZ Heat Extractor Hood, which reminds me of those found on the C5R's, as well as Gary's Customz Dual Vented Fenders, which somewhat remind me of a ZR1). Eventually I plan to ditch the silver vinyl stripes in favor of some painted Jetstream Blue Metallic stripes, but at the end of the day, I want a somewhat unique, aggressive looking car that I'm happy and proud to call my own...

Here's the run-down...

--From the Factory--
2SS/RS M6, Ashen Gray Metallic, Silver Rally Stripe Package
Polished Wheels
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
NPP Dual Mode Exhaust
Power Sunroof
Lighted Cup-Holders / Foot-well
Embroidered Center Console Lid

--Modifications Installed--
CAI Cold Air Intake
Apex Motorsports Skip-Shift Eliminator
Apex Motorsports Cold Air Scoop
Apex Motorsports Washer-Fluid Relocation Kit
Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can
"SS" Emblem Mount from EmblemPros.com
WeatherTech Digitalfit Floor and Cargo Mats
Heritage Grille (bowtie delete)
Street Scene Ducted Lower Billet Grille
Carbon Fiber Bowtie insert (rear bowtie)

--Modifications in the Bull Pen (Sitting in Boxes, awaiting installation, or on order)--
VMAX PTB (ORDERED)
ZL1 Splash Guards (ORDERED)

--Down the Road-- (In order, grouped parenthetically)
(1)Pfadt Drop Springs
(1)ZL1 Rocker Panels
(1)ACS T4 or SLP Splitter
(2)TSW Nurburgring Wheels, 20" Black (Not sure on width just yet)
(3)Lingenfelter/ACS GTZ Heat Extractor Hood
(3)GM Dovetail Spoiler
(4)Gary's Customz Dual Vented Fenders
(5)Long Tube Headers (Haven't decided which, yet)

The goal is to eventually go with Jetstream Blue Metallic rally stripes, black-out the rear end, Camaro script badges on the fenders, "Camaro by Chevrolet" and Hurst Equipped emblems on the decklid...

So, without further adieu... the photo journal of 2013 production #17,919...

After we finalized the price and the details, there was only one thing left to do... go get her...

Bone Stock on delivery day...

Exchange of keys...

I spent over a decade with my 2002 Intimidator SS Monte Carlo- it took my across the country, quite literally, and provided me with 118,000 miles worth of memories and fun... road trip after road trip, to and from work and everywhere in between... my heart is still heavy from letting her go, but it was time... and after discussing it with the wife, and considering my emotional attachment to the Monte, I had to get something that made me feel like I was upgrading... so enter the Camaro... you can see the Monte being drove away in the picture. I'll always miss that car...

Hurst short throw... apparently a somewhat rare option on the 2013's as it was replaced with Chevy's own Short Throw design...

SS emblem on the steering wheel...

GM Performance Division emblem... I thought it was a nice touch...

...and so it begins...

It's like car parts Christmas from Apex Motorsports... CAI Cold Air Intake, scoop, washer fluid relocation kit and a skip-shift eliminator... (awaiting the Elite Engineering oil catch can and VMAX PTB)

Installed the CAI Intake, but I'm waiting on the scoop and washer fluid relocation kit as I have a heritage grille and Street Scene ducted lower grill on the way that I figured I would just do all at once...

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

My other ride has 4,400+hp and corners like it's on rails... because it is.

Last edited by Est.July.4.1776; 07-03-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Est.July.4.1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

There, updated.

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

Old 07-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

The modern day car guy evolves, and his tools evolve... the iPad is an invaluable tool these days...

Sure looks nice next to big brother...

Front clip removed...

Heritage grille inserted (bowtie removed before installation... I dig it much more without it)

Installed the Apex Scoop / Washer Fluid Relocation Kit... oh, and the Skip Shift Eliminator, but didn't bother to take any pictures of that...

I had read something on here about someone noticing a slight rub against the fender liner when turning... I noticed a similar problem and did a little looking to see what was causing it... it turns out the washer bottle corner and the washer to this bolt were protruding just enough to cause a bulge in the liner... I hit it quick with the dremel to grind it down and problem solved...

I got to this point, and had just finished bolting everything back together... I was quite satisfied with the results... when the FedEx guy showed up with my Street Scene billet lower grille and Stillen Ducts.
So, after talking to him about the car for a few minutes, I got back to taking it all apart again...

The wife was off on a business trip, so I went inside for a glass of tea and created a new coffee table ornament... I sent her a pic and she wasn't amused... but it allowed me some relief from the afternoon sun that was now beating down, and a pretty decent place to get the grille and ducts installed... the ducts looked like crap, so a few days later I went and got a roll of 3M tape from the local Advance Auto Parts... removed the ducts, then moved the tape further back and tried again, which yielded MUCH better results... I had to modify the apex scoop to accept the ducts, but I much prefer the more aggressive look of the ducts, and the way the billet lower grille matches the Heritage grille.

Then came the super easy installation of my Elite Engineering catch can...

I did the carbon fiber vinyl bowtie insert... looks way better without that gold...

Last night I noticed the 'cool factor' of a clear bottle in the LED cupholders.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
ZoMBiE_KMF
Camaro Club of NM

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, Sold: [COTW 2/20/12]
Looks good. I really like how the heritage grill looks.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Thanks, man... me too... GM did a great job on it, and good marketing on not installing it on all the cars so they could squeeze a few hundred out of all of us haha

Old 07-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Looks good. AGM is the best color out there!

Did you put the new TB on? What kinda performance change did you notice?
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote