Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
AuSStinVRCamaro

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro
Talking Non-RS to RS Headlight Conversion

Tonight I finally received my Ottobody Harness for my non-rs camaro and Tomorrow Im installing my new RS Headlights! They look so much better than the regular halogen lights this has always been my number 1 mod to do to my LS just had to find the headlights first!! Ill be sure to update with pics once theyre installed! But for now heres this! Enjoy!
Attached Images

AuSStinVRCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
PM Designs

Drives: 2011 Camaro, 99 Silverado , 69 C-10
What's the total cost and where was everything purchased from? I've been wanting to do the RS headlight swap on my non RS 1LT.
PM Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
do you have brights?
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
I was looking at these from CP+ but I'm undecided about the cost.

$703.83 Camaro RS HID Headlamp Assembly - Left (Driver) Camaro RS HID Headlamp Assembly - Left (Driver) Add or replace High Intensity Discharge (HID) light with Halo to your Camaro with this GM Part. Appli...

$622.91 Camaro RS HID Headlamp Assembly - Right (Passenger) Camaro RS HID Headlamp Assembly - Right (Passenger) Add or replace High Intensity Discharge (HID) light with Halo to your Camaro with this GM Part. A...

CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
PCOLASHAN

Drives: 2SS
Make sure you try you high beams, if they don't work you have issues with your diode like a lot of us do (in your pic it looks like those are your high beams, with the diode reversed your high beams come on instead of your low beams). Ottobody is aware of this issue and working on a fix, I was told this effects all harness's made to date....most people that have this harness are unaware that the diode is heating up, which melts the diode(even if the diode is turned correctly and you high beams work). Just passing along what I was told by Dylan.

Last edited by PCOLASHAN; 03-03-2011 at 05:26 AM.
PCOLASHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
PCOLASHAN

Can you take a picture of your harness? Want to see if they removed the diode fuse box, thanks!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Another option is that have a HID projector retrofitted for less than what one of the OEM headlights cost. If you want halos just paint the shrouds and housing flat black and add some Halo rings from someone like AAC.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120440
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
AuSStinVRCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Designs View Post
What's the total cost and where was everything purchased from? I've been wanting to do the RS headlight swap on my non RS 1LT.
The total cost including finding all the lights which I had to buy separately along with the ottobody harness and install ran me about $975.00 all together I bought one headlight for 400 and the other for 275 then the harness was 100 and the install Im taking it to a body shop just to be safe and theyre installing them for 200 I know its a lot but In the end it just seems so worth it looking at those halos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac1granger33 View Post
do you have brights?
Im still waiting to get my car back from the shop today I hooked them up last night and the low beams worked perfect but I didnt test the high so when I get them back Ill let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMiami View Post
I was looking at these from CP+ but I'm undecided about the cost.

$703.83 Camaro RS HID Headlamp Assembly - Left (Driver) Camaro RS HID Headlamp Assembly - Left (Driver) Add or replace High Intensity Discharge (HID) light with Halo to your Camaro with this GM Part. Appli...

$622.91 Camaro RS HID Headlamp Assembly - Right (Passenger) Camaro RS HID Headlamp Assembly - Right (Passenger) Add or replace High Intensity Discharge (HID) light with Halo to your Camaro with this GM Part. A...

WOW that is expensive. But I understand if you want new ones unfortunately theyre just really expensive. I just kept checking eBay and finally came across some good deals one of which was labeled as a Dodge Headlight so I was able to negotiate the price down a bit but like I said its definitely worth it, it just comes down to what you want in the end and if youre willing to risk getting a used part from another Camaro. I for one have bought the Bluetooth module and one of the headlights from a used auto body and so far both work flawlessly. So good luck in whichever you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCOLASHAN View Post
Make sure you try you high beams, if they don't work you have issues with your diode like a lot of us do (in your pic it looks like those are your high beams, with the diode reversed your high beams come on instead of your low beams). Ottobody is aware of this issue and working on a fix, I was told this effects all harness's made to date....most people that have this harness are unaware that the diode is heating up, which melts the diode(even if the diode is turned correctly and you high beams work). Just passing along what I was told by Dylan.
I was actually talking to Dylan this morning and he informed me that I have the new diode thats why it took so long for them to ship them out is because the diodes were on back order. But thank you for the heads up. For everyone considering Otto Body Dylan and Todd have been absolutely a great pleasure dealing with! I highly recommend them they are absolutely awesome ! Oh and as for the picture I already took it to the body shop so sorry I wasnt able to snap a picture for you before but when I get it back I can hopefully try and get a good picture for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Another option is that have a HID projector retrofitted for less than what one of the OEM headlights cost. If you want halos just paint the shrouds and housing flat black and add some Halo rings from someone like AAC.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120440
Ive seen that retrofit and it looks awesome. However Ive also seen the eagle eyes and the AAC halos for the halogen and honestly I dont think the AAC halos compare to the oem rs headlight ones but I have seen some really nice setups and they are absolutely awesome this is just the route i chose to go
Old 03-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuSStinVRCamaro View Post
Ive seen that retrofit and it looks awesome. However Ive also seen the eagle eyes and the AAC halos for the halogen and honestly I dont think the AAC halos compare to the oem rs headlight ones but I have seen some really nice setups and they are absolutely awesome this is just the route i chose to go
Agreed....just another option.

I don't really like the AAC halos either. They don't have the smooth ring look like the OEM...at least not the ones I've seen. Then again I'm not a big fan of halos in general but that's just me....I know I'm in the minority.

I'm not sure how everyone that is adding the OEM RS lights are handling the DRL but I'm working with someone on a plug-n-play solution. Hopefully it's going to work out but the harness is not ready yet. Soon though....at least I hope so.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
AuSStinVRCamaro

Awesome. Please let me know when you come out with something! =)
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
PCOLASHAN

Any update?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
update? im still waiting on a harness that allows brights
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
SirPhobos1
STAY PUFT

Drives: Gone
I know ottobody warranties their harnesses, so does the diode issue fall under a warrant-able item? Man, I am not looking forward to sending those back in if that's the case...

SirPhobos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
AuSStinVRCamaro

Hey Guys! Sorry for the delay in with the update, I was out of town over the weekend. But I got the car back on Friday and let me just say the lights are incredible I can not stop staring when I go out to my car, the halos and HIDs make the car look 100x better! I had the auto shop wire the halos up to the ignition fuse and now they come on when the car is along with the fogs. I know this doesnt really mean anything without pictures though so when I get off work Ill be sure to upload them for you. If anyone is considering doing this I highly recommend it! Now there has been one issue with the harness though and that is instead of the high beams not working they are the only beams working...I have talked to dylan at ottobody and he told me he was going to talk to the shop about it and I still havent heard back from him. So I will keep you guys updated on what happens because the harness I have is the one with the correct diode but we will see. I know that another member here just set up his RS headlights with a harness that AAC has come up with but theres is not plug ang play at all and you have to solder on the wires to the plug but if you know what youre doing I pretty sure his are working fine however im not sure how those would be waterproof? but I still strongly recommend ottobody with their harness is just doesnt get any easier than theirs just wanted to keep you all informed! Thanks!

Tags
rs non-rs conversion halo