Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #15
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
The G8 is sexy.......end of story

I cant disagree with that, and everyone has there own opinions, but they just all look like the same cars to me. Pontiac needs to fire there styling team. Kinda like Porche. How long can all your cars look the same.......
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:08 PM   #16
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave24v View Post
I cant disagree with that, and everyone has there own opinions, but they just all look like the same cars to me. Pontiac needs to fire there styling team. Kinda like Porche. How long can all your cars look the same.......
The G8 is probably the only Pontiac that actually looks like a performance car besides the Solstice. The G6 has soldiered on with the same design for way too long, the G5 is just a Cobalt rebadge, the Vibe is a matrix rebadge, the Torrent is an Equinox rebadge, hell, even the Solstice and Sky are the same car.

The G8's literally the only Pontiac that doesn't have an obvious sibling in the US. I say "in the US" because once you go to Australia, you'll see a ton of them sporting Holden front clips.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:15 AM   #17
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Couldnt agree with you more, everything that has come out of pontiac looks like a damn rebadged grand Prix IE GTO, G8, G6...The bird was a great car with a great history, but they killed it when it became a camaro clone. Not that I dont love camaros, but the bird should be different. I am tired of GM rebadging things and selling them under a differnt name. I guess everyone is doing it now. But if I wanted a bird I should be able to buy one, not a camaro with a pontiac emblem

im sorry when was the firebird not a camaro clone? just curious
Old 09-30-2008, 02:30 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
but will it have the thrill, will it have the quality?
dave, if GM does not come through, this will likely put GM on the brink of bankruptcy...and probably kill many chances on a car that has been so incredibly hyped up.

Yeah....GM MUST come through on this. There is no screwing this one up.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:34 AM   #19
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
dave, if GM does not come through, this will likely put GM on the brink of bankruptcy...and probably kill many chances on a car that has been so incredibly hyped up.

Yeah....GM MUST come through on this. There is no screwing this one up.
that is for sure. with the hype and the demand though this car will sell regardless, and considering what we saw of the interior at indy as well as in the engine bay and the presentation in the pavillion, we can rest assured that this car is thoroughly thought out and planned well because they know whats at stake, they know that if the project had been started 9months to a year later it would have been cancelled, so bringing this car to fruition means alot to GM and even more so to the camaro team.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #20
dieseldave24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
im sorry when was the firebird not a camaro clone? just curious

I should have been more clear, when I said clone I meant mechanical twin. The 4th gen was little more than differnt fron and rear clips. 3rd gen was about the same.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:00 AM   #21
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Couldnt agree with you more, everything that has come out of pontiac looks like a damn rebadged grand Prix IE GTO, G8, G6...The bird was a great car with a great history, but they killed it when it became a camaro clone. Not that I dont love camaros, but the bird should be different. I am tired of GM rebadging things and selling them under a differnt name. I guess everyone is doing it now. But if I wanted a bird I should be able to buy one, not a camaro with a pontiac emblem
I don't understand your points about the bird being a camaro clone. Its been that way from the beginning. They are both built from the same shell with Pontiac adding thier own touches on the front and rear sheetmetal. GM built a lot of different cars this way beginning in the mid 60's. They start out as a Chevy and then the basic car gets modified by the other divisions within GM. It was done with the Nova, Malibu, Camaro,Impala...etc.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #22
roadie2991
Camaroholic

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT/RS IOM int/ext
I bought a 2008 Malibu three months ago. It doesn't suprise me at all that it's #1 in initial quality. We've put over 4,000 miles on it and are very happy. My wife didn't think that she wanted a sedan until she saw and drove the Malibu. Every time I get behind the wheel I think, "If a Malibu is this much fun to drive, how great will the Camaro be?" IMO GM is putting out a better product now, than they have in quite some time.
roadie2991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #23
dieseldave24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
I don't understand your points about the bird being a camaro clone. Its been that way from the beginning. They are both built from the same shell with Pontiac adding thier own touches on the front and rear sheetmetal. GM built a lot of different cars this way beginning in the mid 60's. They start out as a Chevy and then the basic car gets modified by the other divisions within GM. It was done with the Nova, Malibu, Camaro,Impala...etc.
Just off the top of my head the 455 for example. This to my knowledge was never offerd in a camaro. 1970 I think could be wrong on the date. Then in 1980 there was the turbo V-6. I am not positive, but I am almost sure it was the same setup as the grand national. The following engines were offerd in the Bird
301 CID Pontiac V8
301 CID Pontiac turbo V8
305 CID Chevrolet V8
350 CID Pontiac V8
400 CID Pontiac V8
403 Oldsmobile V8
455 CID Pontiac V8

The 1st gen camaro had these engines

I do understand they were built on the same platform. I guess my point is that there used to be a distinct following for both cars, they would meet on the track to settle which was faster, pontiacs or chevorlets. Now all the fun has been taken away from that. They all have the same engines trannys gear ratios, the whole 9 yards. It is the same exact car. The thing I never did understand is why the Z28 and WS6 had dual exhaust, but the SS had a single pipe on the 4th gens
Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #24
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Just off the top of my head the 455 for example. This to my knowledge was never offerd in a camaro. 1970 I think could be wrong on the date. Then in 1980 there was the turbo V-6. I am not positive, but I am almost sure it was the same setup as the grand national. The following engines were offerd in the Bird
301 CID Pontiac V8
301 CID Pontiac turbo V8
305 CID Chevrolet V8
350 CID Pontiac V8
400 CID Pontiac V8
403 Oldsmobile V8
455 CID Pontiac V8

The 1st gen camaro had these engines

I do understand they were built on the same platform. I guess my point is that there used to be a distinct following for both cars, they would meet on the track to settle which was faster, pontiacs or chevorlets. Now all the fun has been taken away from that. They all have the same engines trannys gear ratios, the whole 9 yards. It is the same exact car. The thing I never did understand is why the Z28 and WS6 had dual exhaust, but the SS had a single pipe on the 4th gens
Ok...I gotcha.....you mean drivetrains. No the 455 was never offered in a Camaro. I'm sure it was done like that in the 4th gens to save on cost.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #25
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
The G8 is sexy.......end of story
Not if you dont like 4 doors.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #26
dieseldave24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
Ok...I gotcha.....you mean drivetrains. No the 455 was never offered in a Camaro. I'm sure it was done like that in the 4th gens to save on cost.
No doubt, my point was that in my opion by saving cost they killed the heart and souls of both F body cars. They took the rivalry away. I understand why they did it, I just wish they didnt. I dont really car what the rest of GM does, but a pontiac should be a pointiac and a chevy a chevy with there own powerplants. Just my opinion. On another note, I just cant stop thinking about what the after market world is going to come up with for this new car. Can you image a Blown 2010 Camaro 500-550 HP. I wonder how the indepentent rear will hook up. I guess the days of ladder bars and 4 link are over
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #27
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
We are all very lucky the Camaro is even being built , the GENERAL came through for us once more , all three auto makers are in big trouble right now , I think the VOLT will save GM in the long run , it is the future of the co. one good thing about a recession is that the price of gas should go down dramantically due to less consumption , boy those Mega oil companys must just hate that eh
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #28
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
I don't really understand about your truck. The 5.3 is rated at much higher hp than the old 350. It's also got a very stiff chassis, and i can't believe it uses more gas than an old 350. My best friend has a 2002 GMC, which is pretty much identical, with the 5.3. He gets over 20 on the highway. As for quality, his has over 99,000 miles on it, and never had any repair done to it. My next door neighbor has a 2002 also. Same story.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote