Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
NPP w/Cam & Headers Too Loud

So I recently got my cam installed and I love the sound and volume, but I live downtown and its a bit much for a daily driver. Its very tolerable in the cabin, but I know it is really loud outside the car.

In an attempt to cut down the volume a little, I installed the Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe. That did cut the volume down very well, but it surprisingly added ear bleeding drone. I had a GMC Sierra with Flowmaster Super 44's, and the drone when AFM kicked in was childs play compared to the drone this thing added.

Do I have any options other than completely switching catbacks? Any catbacks out there that are a little more quiet, but still a nice deep rumble with no drone like the NPP?
Old 10-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
I'm assuming you have the NPP open all the time?
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
I'm assuming you have the NPP open all the time?
No I do not, I have installed a 3-way switch which allows me to open and close the flaps manually. With the flaps closed it is a little raspy for my liking though.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
Interesting. Cats or not?
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
ST1LE

Cats
Old 10-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Do you have headers? If so do you have catalytic converters? They will reduce sound and drone.

I have NPP with cats and LT'S with out the MagnaFlow resonated X it was ridiculous sounding without the X. I wonder why the cam made such a difference.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
ST1LE

Yes LT and High Flows. The cam really added volume, as was expected. It was loud with just the headers as you said, but with the cam its nuts. When this is my weekend car, I wont mind but need a solution in the meantime.

I was shocked the resonated x-pipe added SO much drone, as its made to reduce drone. Oh well....not sure I want to drop over $1K on a catback so might not be able to do anything about it.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
The tune might be able to be adjusted to minimize the drone. There is also the possibility of adding in some small resonators down stream a little bit. I know it's getting to be counter the whole plan but it might be an option...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
dklowrider

Drives: 2012 1SS, 6spd. many mods 478 rwhp
My Corsa is nice during normal driving but it's a screaming jesus at wot. There is no drone though so I'm afraid to touch it.
dklowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
ST1LE, if you want to meet up I can follow you around town and let you know if its too loud of a system or not. I'll give you my professional opinion
Old 10-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
J Pipes.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:24 AM   #12
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Yes LT and High Flows. The cam really added volume, as was expected........

I was shocked the resonated x-pipe added SO much drone, as its made to reduce drone. Oh well....not sure I want to drop over $1K on a catback so might not be able to do anything about it.
I've used the Magna Resonated X in other an other euro V8 application, and the Resonated X served it's mission well. Too tighten up the cylinder banks exhaust note in unison, reduce rasp, and drone as well.

Interestingly enough, my gut feeling always told me that the stock H pipe would work best on this LS3 V8, so I'm not entirely surprised by the final outcome here regarding drone notes.

Where I am quite surprised in all this, (as I'm sure many others are as well after reading your complaint), is the mega huge increase the cam brought on, even with your NPP flaps on permanent closed position!

Before you did the cam, how would you have had described the dB and sound with flaps closed, LT, and high flow cats in place? Too quiet, quiet, just right, a tad too loud?

In my case, with LT headers, no cats, CAI, but no cam, with flaps always closed, I'd describe it as hands down waaaaaay too quiet!

How a cam would increase it to a dB level that was unacceptable with flaps still closed is beyond me, and truly your best bet is to have the friend gent of yours who volunteered to follow you around and offer his 2 cents .
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:54 AM   #13
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
NPP w/Cam & Headers Too Loud

ZL1 - NPP, NO CAT, CAM, Magnaflow X, Headers = No drone, perfect sound to me while flaps open but very quiet when closed.

I went with X for the same reasons. I live in an apt and it was extremely loud. Sometimes wish I left it as is but trying to be courteous.

Last edited by Camero5; 10-13-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #14
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
ZL1 - NPP, CAM, Magnaflow X, Headers = No drone, perfect sound to me while flaps open but very quiet when closed.

I went with X for the same reasons. I live in an apt and it was extremely loud. Sometimes wish I left it as is but trying to be courteous.
That's how we roll....😁
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote