Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #43
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I just noticed I had a little crack on my dash.. is that pretty common?

And also I noticed a ding on my drivers side sill(when you open the door), not sure where that could of came from.

Aside from that everything else seems to be pretty good..

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #44
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Three years, 82,000 very hard miles, and I can't complain about quality. The only repair I've had to do was replacing some lug studs, but that was most likely the result of them being overtorqued at some point.

Much of the complaint about material quality has to do with weight reduction combined with cost control. Thinner metal, plastic trim, etc. Carbon fiber would drive the price of the car right up into the realm of people three of four tax brackets higher than most of us. I think GM has done a very fine job of balancing weight, quality, and cost... it's a delicate balancing act, and not everybody will be pleased with sacrificing one aspect in order to offer more to another.

And, there are cars that will have the misfortune of being plagued with problems. I've had the fortune of getting one that has no problems. Just like with kids: You see siblings, raised by the same parents, in the same house, with the same rules: One might turn out great, while the other, not so much. Luck of the draw, alignment of the planets, fate, whatever you want to call it, some are good, some are bad.

My opinion, with MY car, is that quality is great.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #45
nikitis

Drives: 2012 Camaro Inferno Orange
I've only owned mine for 3 months, but I bought it pre-owned and put 3k miles on it. Everything seems solid for the most part. And this is coming from a guy who traded in an 18 year old Toyota Camry with no issues other than paint falling off. (Got bored of it waiting for it to die but wouldn't, bought the Camaro.)

I will say though that the shift between first gear and 2nd gear on my manual is a bit rough. (Yes I'm very well versed in manual driving.) But I think it's geared that way on purpose as it accelerates smoother if i'm going faster. No slow crusing in this thing. And the paint, while inferno orange is amazing color, did have a couple of chips on it. I did buy it 2 years pre-owned, and none of that has come off in 3 months.

Overall for now, I think as long as I drive it properly it should last 15 years without problems. I'm however a very good driver with a good track record. My wife however, can ruin any car in 6 -8 years. It's all in the finesse of driving. Some people just think cars can take abuse and last forever which is not the case.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #46
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5Legend View Post
I just noticed I had a little crack on my dash.. is that pretty common?

And also I noticed a ding on my drivers side sill(when you open the door), not sure where that could of came from.

Aside from that everything else seems to be pretty good..
Some 2010's had a issue with the dash cracking around the airbag seam on the passengers side. Is that where yours is cracking?
Old 10-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #47
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I will say, there is this slight ticking from the front end of the car I can't seem to locate.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #48
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Some 2010's had a issue with the dash cracking around the airbag seam on the passengers side. Is that where yours is cracking?
Yea that is exactly where it is. Did they have a recall for that issue? Doesnt bother me too much but it is relevant to the thread.

Ding on my door sill was probably self inflicted lol, just double checked it and I most likely dropped something there which created a noticeable ding or closed something on it. That is relevant to the weak metal though.

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #49
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
I will say, there is this slight ticking from the front end of the car I can't seem to locate.
Could it be the fuel injectors?
Old 10-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #50
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Well, there's no such thing as buying a vehicle problem free. So much technological bullshit in vehicles now, something is BOUND to go wrong. Whether its a sensor, defective spark plug wire, recall. Something... Forget buying a vehicle problem-free. Its non-existent.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #51
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
upon rereading this thread i find that my complaints are basically dealer related.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #52
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I bought my Camaro new and have had it since June 2009. So far I have had to replace a broken hood release cable, and a couple of weeks ago the tilt wheel adjustment lever fell and hit me in the knee. I don't blame GM for the hood release cable breaking but I do blame them for the tilt wheel lever because I haven't touched that lever in over 5 years.

I haven't had good look with Ford's, or Jeep's and I have had great luck w/ GM vehicles. Personally I buy GM exclusively now based on my experiences with other vehicles. Another reason is my cousin has owned an auto garage for over 30+ years and is a master mechanic, he swears that GM are the best built cars and that is all he owns. This is a guy that works on car/trucks every day for the past 30+years so he is a reliable source of info.

I owned 1 Jeep and it had 33 warranty repairs before I even hit 12K miles, talk about a piece of junk!

Of course how do any of us know whether or not you are a Mustang guy posing as a Camaro owner just so you can bad mouth GM vehicles?
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #53
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
I have been very disappointed in the quality of components and workmanship on my '13 2LT/RS. In the 15 months that I have had it I have had to make about 10 visits to the dealer for repairs due to problems. Most of the problems have required 3 or 4 trips to get repaired and two have made 7 and 8 trips, and with the 8th trip I am not sure yet if the problem has been solved. I had to get Chev. Customer Technical Support involved and when that didn't do the job, I got an Executive Office assistance involved. After that I got closest to a solution that I have got in the past. And, as I said, I am not sure at this point if the problem is really solved. So far it appears that it has been corrected, but it was no intermittent problem and I have not been able to use the car enough to be convincing that things have been resolved. What has your experiences been in regards to quality of your Camaro?
You say you have had to make about 10 visits to your dealer to fix problems and then say you have had several trips that took 3-4 trips to get fixed (to me that means 9-12 trips total), then you had two problems that took 7 and 8 trips to get fixed each(14-16 trips total) so it sounds like you have been in anywhere from 23 to 28 times at least???? That's a hell of a lot more then 10 trips.

Sounds to me like you have a problem with a bad dealer. These are mechanical things, sometimes they leave the shop with problems, its the dealer that is the link between a mechanical problem and getting it fixed.

Find a good dealer.

I have had my SSRS since early 2010. I have had a couple issues, each was solved with one visit, it was quick and painless and I understand things happen. Also bought a 2011 cruze from the same dealer, had a couple issues in the past 3 years, again, dealer handled it correctly first time and never was without the car for more then a day each time. Then we purchased a 2013 Traverse for my wife from the same dealer. No issues other then a couple recalls that were delt with VERY quickly.

Simply put, things happen, get a good dealer to take care of you and your little problems will be just that and you will be much happier.

yes it sounds like your car left the factory with some issues and that is just bad luck but the cure for these problems is on the dealer so if you get a bad dealer, you have more problems. Solve the real problem, get a good dealer to work with.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #54
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I've had lots of POS cars. Been in lots of POS cars. Every car maker has a POS in the stable. Every one of them. Been in Toyotas with 15K miles that were pieces of shit. Been in 20 year old Dodge pickups that still drove great.

Owning a poorly made example doesn't chnage the good ones and the good ones don't change the bad ones. But as I get older I notice things. Like people who have poorly behaved dogs always have a poorly behaved dog. I've bought cars, both new and used, that have had poor reputations. I didn't have the problems that the reps were based on. Am I really lucky? Do I just know what to look for? Are the reps nonsense?

I dunno but nothing will convince a person with a poor example of a car model that all the others are fine, and theirs was a fluke. They live that problem, the rest of just just look at it from our bubble.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #55
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5Legend View Post
Yea that is exactly where it is. Did they have a recall for that issue? Doesnt bother me too much but it is relevant to the thread.

Ding on my door sill was probably self inflicted lol, just double checked it and I most likely dropped something there which created a noticeable ding or closed something on it. That is relevant to the weak metal though.
I don't think there was a recall but there might have been a service bulletin about that. You may want to ask the dealer about it anyway it couldn't hurt to ask.
All new cars have thin metal that dents easy. But it's still not as bad as Datuns of the 70's. My sister in law had a B210 that would dent if you looked at it hard enough... Joking but I did dent the trunk lid just closing it with my hand one day. And I didn't use any more force than I did with my 74 Camaro's trunk.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #56
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Could it be the fuel injectors?
I was told it was the injectors by the dealer when asked.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote