Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
CyberBri
BRUCE WAYNES DD

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
what are all of these polishing tools???

I keep seeing everyone speaking about using different machines to wax or polish their paint. What is a DA? What is a porter cable? What is the difference ? I have an orbital buffer from discount auto and it seems to work fine. Its a 10 inch that uses bonnets .it seems to keep my car scratch free !

CyberBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Dual Action = DA

Porter Cable = Manufacturer of the PC 7424 xp (imo the most beginner friendly dual orbital buffer)

Dual action means that the pad spins but it also oscillates in tiny ellipses (think like how the earth rotates on its axis and goes around the sun... not a perfect analogy but close).

Orbital buffers like yours are great for spreading wax but not heavy duty enough to fix scratches.

Try stripping any wax or glaze you may have on your car. Then look at the car in different lighting sources. If you see no scratches, your paint is most likely scratch free

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Good_Times

Drives: red
The 10 inch machine you have purchased is commonly know in the detailing industry as a wax spreader. It lacks the capability to do any paint corrections without pushing it way past its limits and using it for what it wasn't designed fpr. A da machine which one type is the random orbital rotates in a circular motion and also oscilates at the same time with a free floating spindle assembly. This would be your (and not limited to ) PC (porter cable) GG (Griots Garage) Meguiars G100v2. Next would be the da with a forced rotation such as a Flex 3401. This rotates in a forced oscilation. Then you have rotaries that have a circular motion only like a Makita 9226 and Flex 3403. Another style that dosen't get much attention is dual mode machines that have rotary and da capabilites.
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Don't forget the cyclo!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote