Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
CyberBri
BRUCE WAYNES DD

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
cant get sparks ss emblem clean!!!!

So i have the sparks ss emblem on my grille. It has a white haze on the red pain of the SS that will not come off. It looks like it goes away when it is wet or just washed but then a few hours later it comes back! I have tried probably ten different types of cleaners to get it off. I have use meguiars car wash, fast wax and quick detail with no luch. I also tried degreaser, compound polish, rim cleaner, interior cleaner, just elbow grease and a microfiber, scratching it off w my fingernail, and even wd 40!!! Wtf can i do!?!?!?!?!?!? IM sorry dont have a pic to load i will try from my cell in a min but has anyone else experienced this with the spraks products?? Im starting to think it is the paint or something that is wrong from production... any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

CyberBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
The stuff they paint those emblems with is terrible. It's matte and therefore porous so it holds dirt and is not UV resistant (which is why that haze happens).

I had the same issue with my Sparks emblems on the black areas between the letters. You have to use a compound polish and rub continously, and then use alcohol to get the residue off and prep the area for the next step which I'll tell you about below.

It'll happen again, so what you need to is give it the same kind of protection your car's paint has: clearcoat.

Buy a bottle of clearcoat touchup from Automotive touchup.com and paint over it to give it a nice, protected gloss. You gotta brush it on very thick in progressive coats to make it extra slick and look professionally done. It will also add clarity to the area and mask any leftover haze that you weren't able to polish out. Did this to mine and haven't looked back - none of the clearcoat has peeled or anything.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 04-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I don't have this problem yet, but now I know what I can do to prevent it. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
StephenS_84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
The stuff they paint those emblems with is terrible. It's matte and therefore porous so it holds dirt and is not UV resistant (which is why that haze happens).

I had the same issue with my Sparks emblems on the black areas between the letters. You have to use a compound polish and rub continously, and then use alcohol to get the residue off and prep the area for the next step which I'll tell you about below.

It'll happen again, so what you need to is give it the same kind of protection your car's paint has: clearcoat.

Buy a bottle of clearcoat touchup from Automotive touchup.com and paint over it to give it a nice, protected gloss. You gotta brush it on very thick in progressive coats to make it extra slick and look professionally done. It will also add clarity to the area and mask any leftover haze that you weren't able to polish out. Did this to mine and haven't looked back - none of the clearcoat has peeled or anything.
Great post. Thanks for the tip.
StephenS_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
bhillakaiceberg

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 2017 1SS
I thought I was the only one with this issue! The same thing happens to my front Sparks SS emblem. I tend to use either Adams Detail Spray or their All Purpose Cleaner too get rid of the haze marks.

2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Auto
9.29 @144.57mph ALL MOTOR SBE

#TEAMGPI Gwatney Performance Innovation

bhillakaiceberg is offline   Reply With Quote