Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
JS1

Drives: Black 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Drivers side axle boot failure

Anyone have any recent experience with axle replacement on the drivers side after some hot laps at a road course, VIR or similar? I've done maybe 8 track days over the past couple years with my 2013 1LE. First time it's happened to mine but have seen others with similar problems. My goal is to fix it once and do it right the first time. I have 1.25 inch lowering springs and koni yellow adjustable shocks. It's a little lower than normal so maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe 96k miles and 6 years is the problem? Trying to figure out if I should go back with OEM axle or have the driveshaft shop custom make one for me. I want to avoid losing track days because it fails again. Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.
JS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:16 AM   #2
Virus

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
When I used to use stock axles the driver side would barely last a 20 min track session. The short side would last a little longer but it’s the driver side rear tire that takes the most abuse. Driveshaft shop axles will def last a full season. Depending how many track days you do a year , should send them back to be built every season or every 2.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #3
JS1

What do you use now?
Old 06-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
JS1

I still have the street tires. I bet slicks would make it more likely to fail.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Anyone have any recent experience with axle replacement on the drivers side after some hot laps at a road course, VIR or similar? I've done maybe 8 track days over the past couple years with my 2013 1LE. First time it's happened to mine but have seen others with similar problems. My goal is to fix it once and do it right the first time. I have 1.25 inch lowering springs and koni yellow adjustable shocks. It's a little lower than normal so maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe 96k miles and 6 years is the problem? Trying to figure out if I should go back with OEM axle or have the driveshaft shop custom make one for me. I want to avoid losing track days because it fails again. Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.
It's been somewhat of a long time known issue that lowering more than an inch on stock suspension geometry will cause the half shafts to have too much of an angle in them and cause leaking seal boots and even bad axle joints. You say you are lowered 1.25" over stock. This may not sound like much more than the 1" but there is a reason why the Camaro team did not lower the Z/28 more with the shock/spring heights. They knew the half shaft angles would be more than they could reliably operate at.

As an alternate solution I believe there is a company that makes eccentric bushings to install into your rear diff mounting holes that helps to raise the rear diff up closer to the body so when you lower the car the half shaft angles are maintained closer to stock.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Try Hendricks Engineering they make both Poly and Delerin OffSet Diff bushings.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, boot failure