Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 05-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #1
THE_1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
2015 SS 1LE Street/Track Brake Setup

I have a 2015 SS 1LE with the stock Brembo brake setup and it is time for new brakes but I have my first track day coming up in July so I would like to get a set that is track capable for a novice but still street friendly. Dust isn’t a huge concern but I’d prefer no squeaking like my OEM setup just started doing.

Brake Upgrades I am considering:
Castrol SRF brake fluid
Stainless steel lines
EBC Sport rotor dimpled and slotted
EBC Yellow Stuff pads
Keeping my stock Brembo calipers (I think 4 piston...correct if I am wrong please)

Is this a good setup that will handle higher speed track in July in Georgia. I was told the track is not a big brake track and how it is setup is some what easy on brakes (Road Atlanta). I’d like to do some AutoX also in the future.

Anybody with experience with these specific items?

If not, what have you had good luck with as a street/track combo?
THE_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Fluid, lines and good pads are all you would need for your first track day. The factory pads are fine, but I would put on new ones to be safe. I used to track with the Wilwood Promatrix pads and they did fantastic. JDP sells the pads and I'm sure they will agree. The factory rotors will handle tons of abuse as long as yours are good.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
Wacko37

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2007 2500HD D-Max
DO NOT USE EBC PADS!! i fade blue stuffs on auto-x, i wouldnt trust them on track!
2010 Summit white SS/RS, Manzo full exhaust w/2" primaries, Roto-Fab intake, FE4 conversion, JRI Coilovers built by Ult_Performance w/hypercoils, BMR sway, BMR trailing arms, UMI toe links, solid sub-frame bushings, upper control arm bushings, radius inserts, caster locks, Taylor wires, BTR spec'd cam, tuned by ECS, various little lighting mods, ebay SLP splitter, Heritage grille, ZL1 rockers, Apex 19x11 w/RE-71r's 305/30/19, eaton tru-trac

2007 2500HD Duramax, Built trans, custom tuned beast
Wacko37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
THE_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post
Fluid, lines and good pads are all you would need for your first track day. The factory pads are fine, but I would put on new ones to be safe. I used to track with the Wilwood Promatrix pads and they did fantastic. JDP sells the pads and I'm sure they will agree. The factory rotors will handle tons of abuse as long as yours are good.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk
I haven't looked at the Wilwood pads yet but I will certainly do that and see what I can find. Will also likely stick with the stock rotors since I am hearing they are pretty good. As a novice track driver I don't see myself going 100% my first few days so they should at least give me an idea of where my car stands and handle it. I am for sure upgrading fluid and brake lines though anyways.
2015 SS 1LE, 491rwhp/452rwtq, Kaotik Cam, Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake, Kooks 1-7/8” Longtube Header, 3” Off-road X-pipe with Cat Delete, Corsa Quad Tip Exhaust, QTP Electric Exhaust Cutouts, PCM Flex Fuel System, Vengeance Racing Custom Tune, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Z28 Wheels ,1.5” BMR Lowering Springs
Old 05-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
THE_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacko37 View Post
DO NOT USE EBC PADS!! i fade blue stuffs on auto-x, i wouldnt trust them on track!
Thanks for the input! If you are experiencing that then I could only imagine what Id experience in the GA heat after a 140MPH straight going downhill into a 90 degree turn.

What have you found to work best? specifically dual use for street/track if possible.
2015 SS 1LE, 491rwhp/452rwtq, Kaotik Cam, Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake, Kooks 1-7/8” Longtube Header, 3” Off-road X-pipe with Cat Delete, Corsa Quad Tip Exhaust, QTP Electric Exhaust Cutouts, PCM Flex Fuel System, Vengeance Racing Custom Tune, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Z28 Wheels ,1.5” BMR Lowering Springs
Old 05-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
Road Atlantas back straight is the toughest spot on brakes. ZL1 6 piston fronts are a good upgrade along with brake ducts. Cobalt Friction XR1/XR3 or Raybestos ST43 are good. A lot depends on if you're late braking or riding them a long time in regards to heat. Go to Barber in Alabama too, a fun track.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:32 PM   #7
THE_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Road Atlantas back straight is the toughest spot on brakes. ZL1 6 piston fronts are a good upgrade along with brake ducts. Cobalt Friction XR1/XR3 or Raybestos ST43 are good. A lot depends on if you're late braking or riding them a long time in regards to heat. Go to Barber in Alabama too, a fun track.
Thanks for the feedback! My hopes are I'm not riding the brakes much and using my gears some and doing some light braking and using my momentum to carry me through most turns so I'm not having to gas as much and possibly end up backwards. I've got an instructor too so I'm hoping he works with my on the brake zones
Old 05-31-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
The track is way different than autocross when it comes to braking. You will be using the brakes and using them pretty hard. Slowing from 125 for a 60 mph corner involves way more energy (turned into brake heat) than 70 to 45 at autocross. Plus on the track, it's not once through the course and cool-down, it'll be once through the course followed by 6 or 8 or 10 more laps.

Actually, for your first couple of track days you're probably better off doing as little shifting as you can get away with. Focus on learning all the new stuff that's not like what your street driving has been teaching you instead.

Norm
Old 06-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #9
THE_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The track is way different than autocross when it comes to braking. You will be using the brakes and using them pretty hard. Slowing from 125 for a 60 mph corner involves way more energy (turned into brake heat) than 70 to 45 at autocross. Plus on the track, it's not once through the course and cool-down, it'll be once through the course followed by 6 or 8 or 10 more laps.

Actually, for your first couple of track days you're probably better off doing as little shifting as you can get away with. Focus on learning all the new stuff that's not like what your street driving has been teaching you instead.

Norm

Thanks for the advice and feedback! When you say focus on things other than shifting, what do you have in mind?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Flag stations, braking and turn-in points, your line through each turn or sequence of turns, reminding yourself that you don't need to have a death-grip on the steering wheel and to relax muscles not needed for car control inputs. Most peoples' street driving hasn't been very good at teaching those things once "the wick gets turned up a bit" for one or two curves.

Sorry for the delay - we're on an extended road trip and for the last couple of days (New Orleans, French Quarter) have not had an internet connection. Or particularly wanted to have one.

Norm
Old 08-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #11
srsmithee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Flag stations, braking and turn-in points, your line through each turn or sequence of turns, reminding yourself that you don't need to have a death-grip on the steering wheel and to relax muscles not needed for car control inputs. Most peoples' street driving hasn't been very good at teaching those things once "the wick gets turned up a bit" for one or two curves.
^ ditto ^
RPM Tune / ARH 1 7/8" Long System with Cats / Flowmaster HushPower Mufflers / RotoFab CAI / BMR Strut Tower Brace & Springs & Swaybars / Bilstein Struts & Shocks / PowerStop Z26 Brake Kit (daily) / Powerstop Trackday Rotors & Raybestos ST-45 Pads (track) / StopTech Stainless Braided Brake Lines / Castrol SRF Brake Fluid / ZL1 Front Hubs / Z28 Brake Ducts / ZL1 AddOns Tow Hooks / ZL1 Grille / DRL-Halo Swap

srsmithee is offline   Reply With Quote