Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 12-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
ctrick

Drives: not yet
Altima vs Coupe part 2

So apparently the thread got closed http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1320159 before I could even respond.

I figured I was going to get beat up in that I'm not offended since I know the passion around here and that's totally understandable. But Mr CLutch had the one answer that made sense since I was asking for opinions on people who have actually compared the two.

I KNOW they are two very different cars. I KNOW the Camaro is very much more a sports car, etc etc. I was just surfing around looking for alternatives and figured I'd ask.

And as far as dealers not letting people drive a car they are willing to buy - I still think it's BS.

I most likely will still get the Camaro.

Thx for the replies though, I'm going to go back in my corner and lick my wounds...lol
ctrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Well now that thats over I'll respond. I own a Camaro V6 and my wife owns an 08 Altima. So I drive both cars on a regular basis. The Altima is a very nice riding car and hers has the constant variable transmission. It's smooth as silk when in auto, but it also has a manual mode that allows for bump shifting, similar to the paddle shifting that you hear about here not near as quick as the Camaro, but fun nonetheless. If you were truly in the market for a family sedan I would highly recommend the Altima. My wife has put 65k miles on this car in 2 years with tire pressure monitoring being the only trouble code shes had. You obviously know they are entirely different platforms, so what specifically are you looking for in differences?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
ctrick

I know they're two different classes of cars but I guess I was thinking comfort, ride, amenities. The problem is I really need to keep it under $30K and the coupe MT was the only one that *might* come close to those items. As much as I really love the camaro I'm thinking of a plan B if for some crazy reason I don't like the Camaro - I know that's probably not going to happen - but you never know...
Old 12-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrick View Post
So apparently the thread got closed http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1320159 before I could even respond.

I figured I was going to get beat up in that I'm not offended since I know the passion around here and that's totally understandable. But Mr CLutch had the one answer that made sense since I was asking for opinions on people who have actually compared the two.

I KNOW they are two very different cars. I KNOW the Camaro is very much more a sports car, etc etc. I was just surfing around looking for alternatives and figured I'd ask.

And as far as dealers not letting people drive a car they are willing to buy - I still think it's BS.

I most likely will still get the Camaro.

Thx for the replies though, I'm going to go back in my corner and lick my wounds...lol

"And as far as dealers not letting people drive a car they are willing to buy - I still think it's BS."

If this is actually still ongoing I would hope there'd be a backlash in boycotting any dealer so inclined to deny that test-drive.
Same goes for the mark-up happy stiffs too.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Hers is loaded as is my Camaro, I driven both cars on trips in excess of 8 hour drives and they are pretty comparable (excluding the rear seat) in comfort. The Camaro fits tighter to the shape of your body but does not fatigue you on a long drive. Neither does the Altima. The Altima has dual climate zone control, the Camaro does not. That is a feature I miss on the long drives. If you have to fall back to plan "B" the Altima is a good choice.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
It doesn't bother me that they don't allow test drives. Other wise I may not have bought my SS there.

I had a bunch of friends who ran out and test drove the Mustang GTs when the new ones came out. They abused the heck out of them, fully knowing they weren't going to buy them. I mean redline clutch drops, constant redline driving, attempted burnouts, etc. One even wrecked it, but the dealership just fixed it up and sold it as new! (they have to tell you now if they do more than $600 in damage, but I don't think that $600 includes labor...)

After experiencing this, I realized how many people would do the same thing with the Camaro.... i wouldn't buy one off the lot if the dealer allowed test drives... but hey, I guess thats just what you get from personal experience!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrick View Post
I know they're two different classes of cars but I guess I was thinking comfort, ride, amenities. The problem is I really need to keep it under $30K and the coupe MT was the only one that *might* come close to those items. As much as I really love the camaro I'm thinking of a plan B if for some crazy reason I don't like the Camaro - I know that's probably not going to happen - but you never know...
I think comfort, ride, and amenities, I'd say Altima.

I (of course) think the Camaro is a better car (hence why I bought it) but If that is what your looking for, I'd say the Altima is probably more up your alley!

Good Luck!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Old 12-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I was able to test drive no problem at my dealer, and I think most dealers you should be able to do so. However, if all they have on the lot are 'sold' cars from customer orders they cant let you drive them.
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
CPanther95

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
My wife and I got the Camaro for us. We bought an Altima for my daughter. We're all happy.

CPanther95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
ctrick

OK - thanks everyone - good enough.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
It doesn't bother me that they don't allow test drives. Other wise I may not have bought my SS there.

I had a bunch of friends who ran out and test drove the Mustang GTs when the new ones came out. They abused the heck out of them, fully knowing they weren't going to buy them. I mean redline clutch drops, constant redline driving, attempted burnouts, etc. One even wrecked it, but the dealership just fixed it up and sold it as new! (they have to tell you now if they do more than $600 in damage, but I don't think that $600 includes labor...)

After experiencing this, I realized how many people would do the same thing with the Camaro.... i wouldn't buy one off the lot if the dealer allowed test drives... but hey, I guess thats just what you get from personal experience!
If someone is going to demo a Camaro you can be sure that the sales person will go with. Anytime the customer does anything close to redlining the car, (esp if you don't ask me if it's ok to accelerate hard before you try that), well then the demo drive is now over. I've only had to ask one customer in ten years to pull over to switch places w/ me and that the demo drive was over. That was a teen ager who decided to pull into an empty lot and do donuts in a new Celica....

BTW, I always go w/ my customers on a demo ride regardless of vehicle. Those Ford dealers are stupid for letting people take a joy ride w/ no supervision.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
BTW, I always go w/ my customers on a demo ride regardless of vehicle. Those Ford dealers are stupid for letting people take a joy ride w/ no supervision.
Well stated. I've only had a salesman ride with me ONCE, and that was test driving a Jeep. I test drove a mustang, a 370z, an escape, several pickup trucks, and several other SUVs all unsupervised.

I would agree with your statement of letting someone test drive if they are supervised. I just did not know that was common practice!
Old 12-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
ctrick

I'd be more than happy to have the sales guy go with me - from what I recall that's always happened when I test drove cars.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
I have never had any issues borrowing a car to test with or w/o supervision. I have never ran into any dealership that said no to me. I am 27 and single and have had plenty of speeding tix on my record.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote