Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
HPlover
You're Dead to me Mustang

Drives: 2008 Edge, Jeep Sahara
Fun factor - Camaro-mustang-challenger

I owned a Shelby GT I just sold and it had 319 HP. The performance was upgraded along with handling, but I was not happy at 319 with the camaro coming out with 426. I am just a car fan and love HP. I paid 40K for badges 19 HP upgrade for the Shelby. Sold it with the thought I would either get a challenger or Camaro. At the time, I was told stock mustang was going to have 400 HP in 2010. We know that was BS.

I recently test drove the Challenger R/T. It felt like a slush box with no interior engine feel. It felt like a turbo charged vacuum. Starting it up was a big disappointment. It was a very quite start up and revving it was as unimpressing. My shelby Gt has a grumble to fall in love with from ignition. I felt the engine through the dash in the Mustang. Maybe it was my upgraded pipes. However, I don't see challenger as an opition anymore with the lack of muscle feel.

So...to the camaro...I didn't preorder because of my challeger experience. I want to test drive it and see what color schemes caught my eye best. That being either black or silver. No sure about orange interior accent because of the cheap plastic look in pics. But, yet I am in love the camaro never the less. I will wait a year if I have to.

The question I pose, in order to get information as early as possible, is should I expect the same sound and feel issues in the Camaro as the Challenger. I know I can change to cat exhaust, but that won't change the interior engine feel IMO. I want to hear my wife complain as she once did about how my muscle car grumbled on the interior. Its like a subwoofer to her. She says I woke babies in the neighborhood with the mustang.

Again, can I expect to start her up and get the sound I expect from a muscle car?

It's not a muscle car if it doesn't look, feel, and perform like one.
HPlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
It's sound like you drove the auto challenger, no fun the auto R/T is a lot more restrictive than the manual R/T

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
You need to try out the SRT8 Chally, should be more similair to V8 Camaro than the R/T in terms of what you are looking for. Ask Number 3 about how much the SS feels like a muscle car since he is one of the few who has driven one on this forum.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Visual_Perfection

Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
Well your shelby did not have a "Stock" exhaust on it, so no Stock car is going to compare to it's sound, as your shelby was meant to be heard, and a stock challenger or Camaro are going to be more civilized.

Changing the exhaust on the car will 100% change the "interior" engine feel. I have had Several Camaro's and a Trans Am, and after changing the exhaust on them, the car was completely different, in a good way.

So in my opinion, NO, you are not going to get the sound you want in the interior out of a Factory Stock Camaro, Challenger, or even Mustang GT if you went and drove one, since you are used to an aftermarket, louder exhaust system intended to give you that pwerful engine feel both inside and outside of the car.
Visual_Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
HPlover

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the replies. I feel a lot more comfortable about going forward with my comparisons as Camaro leads right now.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
MrKrisSullivan
New 2 The "DARK-SIDE"

Drives: 2003 Ram HEMI 4x4 Slt 20in
you put 40k for that thing??? ohh my Gawd, I feel sorry for you... Yeah I'm with the other fellas, for 300 hundred bucks you can get a good set of Flowmasters and chrome tips for R/T HEMI or Camaro or whatever... I guarentte you it'll scream louder than those purty badges on the Pony... LOL... HOly shnikeys'...
MrKrisSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yes, its been noted by the guys that have driven the V8 Camaro that it is quiet (relatively) until you open her up. the GMPP exhaust, or aftermarket exhaust, will give you a better "muscle car" rumble.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Yeah ... It's gotta HEMI

Converting Members to Mopar one at a time

Converted Member 1#

Muscle Master...always meant to ask ya, why are you here? Meaning if you like the Camaro or not, plan to buy one or not, why promote a Mopar on here? I really don't need to read your posts talking about them or see your sig and avatar of a Challenger. I kinda like the way Mopar designed it, but its TO retro for me. I would never belong to a Mopar site ranting about a Camaro. Just curious...
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Yeah ... It's gotta HEMI

Converting Members to Mopar one at a time

Converted Member 1#

Muscle Master...always meant to ask ya, why are you here? Meaning if you like the Camaro or not, plan to buy one or not, why promote a Mopar on here? I really don't need to read your posts talking about them or see your sig and avatar of a Challenger. I kinda like the way Mopar designed it, but its TO retro for me. I would never belong to a Mopar site ranting about a Camaro. Just curious...
Its ok, if we felt that he was being too much of a mopar fanboy, well you wouldn't be reading his posts right now. He likes the Camaro and the Challenger, his personal preference is the Dodge. To each their own. But he doesn't come here to bash the Camaro and he stands up for the Challenger when people talk down about it. Nothing wrong with that.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
Bocephus

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT, Kona, BBP, 3.73
The Camaro SS is the way to go right now IMO. The Mustang will get the 400hp 5.0 in 2011. That was never a lie, you just got bad information. It remains to be seen how that Mustang compares to the SS. That's what I'm waiting to see.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
By the time the Ford gets 400hp, the Camaro will have 450 or more. NO ONE can hang with GM's gas engines(or the diesel for that matter). Ford went backwards years ago when they went to OHC engines, they now have to start over. Dodge and that so-called "Hemi" has more than proved it guzzles to much gas and doesn't make the power it claims to. GM reinvented the smallblock engine and did it right, the LS engines are exceptional engines by any standards!
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
By the time the Ford gets 400hp, the Camaro will have 450 or more. NO ONE can hang with GM's gas engines(or the diesel for that matter). Ford went backwards years ago when they went to OHC engines, they now have to start over. Dodge and that so-called "Hemi" has more than proved it guzzles to much gas and doesn't make the power it claims to. GM reinvented the smallblock engine and did it right, the LS engines are exceptional engines by any standards!
no buy the looks of it, it will remain 426 horses for the SS

Honestly, 2010-2011

Ford is gonna give everyone a run for their money, ... seriously

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
HPlover

Right..Ford never lied abotu 2011. I said they lied about 2010. And the gawd aweful new body is terrible. It looks 3 feet off the ground with the black ground effects. The only problem with challenger is the 45K price tag for an SRT8. Now that is too much, when get this SS starting at 30ish. Same HP, 15K price difference.

I will wait until the smoke clears and see who gives me the better deal. They will have to have a body kit for the Mustang though. Another bad year for Ford won't help matters.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPlover View Post
Another bad year for Ford won't help matters.
Ford's not the company in need of bailout money. We better all hope that GM has a good year and not worry so much about Ford.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote