Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
V6 Superchargers / Turbo / Twin Turbo

Can anyone tell us where to buy performance boosters for the V6's. Like superchargers,turbos,or twin turbos or anything that will boost hp of the V6's. Seems like nothing right now is really for sale for these engines, if they are they are very well hidden..So if you guys know let us in on it so we can try em out and let everyone else know how they work out on our rides.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
acehole

Drives: mits lancer oz
im goign with cold airintake changing the exhaust and supercharger...could go aftermarket but waiting a few more months to see what GM has to offer..i live in kansas so wont be driving in the winter plan on modding the crap out of this thing then..so got a few months before the big search for parts..the one thing i dont think ill be able to get from GM is the tune but ill find one somewhere..hell theres good people on here ..should be able to find everything you need on this site
acehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by acehole View Post
im goign with cold airintake changing the exhaust and supercharger...could go aftermarket but waiting a few more months to see what GM has to offer..i live in kansas so wont be driving in the winter plan on modding the crap out of this thing then..so got a few months before the big search for parts..the one thing i dont think ill be able to get from GM is the tune but ill find one somewhere..hell theres good people on here ..should be able to find everything you need on this site
you know i was gonna wait for winter too..i live in w.v. so winter is pretty bad here too..with the salt and all im not gonna drive mine much either..for at least the worse parts..but i wanna enjoy the upgrades as soon as i put them on..how you gonna feel once you put that stuff on but cant drive it..itll drive you nuts till you just say hell with it and go for it..and you still wont be able to fully enjoy it for fear of ice..LOL.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
EDIT Thanks Mods for editing this thread...some people....

Jeeze....how the hell did a thread about a guy asking about aftermarket support for the V6 turn into slag fest...my god...who the hell cares if he has an Lancer....and a lancer is a nice car, dont knock it, and its not rice....now if he added a body kit and a fart can...rice...big time...

but i digress...how about some people here grow up and answer the mans question's, or at least tell him politely to search around as there are a bunch of threads about V6 performance

Here are a couple good threads about increasing the performance of the V6

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31182

http://www.camaro5.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16988&highlight=intake+exhaust+pl an+400

Also, here is a thread about a Turbo V6 work in progress
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29495

I would also like to add that using the search button is an easy way to find your answers and not be flamed by some members, so yea, in the future, but i gave you the above threads to start ya off

Enjoy your car!!! (i wish i had mine)
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acehole View Post
Cold air intake is an NA bit bud, if you're supercharing than ambient temps post compressor aren't going to be affected by the incoming charge temp (not in the context of what minor changes in ambient can do anyway...)
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxx View Post
Cold air intake is an NA bit bud, if you're supercharing than ambient temps post compressor aren't going to be affected by the incoming charge temp.
You have great posts and you really know your stuff so please don't take this the wrong way, but it does still have an effect. There is roughly a 1% hp increase per 10 degree ambient Fahrenheit temp drop. Same as if you run your car at the strip on a 90 degree day versus a 50 degree day.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
You have great posts and you really know your stuff so please don't take this the wrong way, but it does still have an effect. There is roughly a 1% hp increase per 10 degree ambient Fahrenheit temp drop. Same as if you run your car at the strip on a 90 degree day versus a 50 degree day.
Quote:
Cold air intake is an NA bit bud, if you're supercharing than ambient temps post compressor aren't going to be affected by the incoming charge temp (not in the context of what minor changes in ambient can do anyway...)
Yea, i was going to say....a compressor introduces a fixed temperature increase depending on the compression ratio. (aside from the heat added from friction, the engine and other fixed sources, which wont change based on the air intake config),

basic gas law....increased pressure, without a decrease in volume leads to an increase in temperature, since the intake manifold and supercharger casing dont change size, its a fixed volume, so any increase in pressure will increase temps proportionately (PressurexVolume=k x Temperature)

So since the super charger only adds a certain amount of heat any decrease in temp of the incoming air will also decrease the temp of the charge air from the super charger.

also since the super gets gets power from the engine (obviously) any decrease in resistance to bringing in the air results in the supercharger drawing less power away from the engine, leading to less parasitic power loss

A good cold air intake (actually draws in cold air...not engine bay air) will benefit all forms of intake systems....turbo, super, N/A
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTron View Post
Yea, i was going to say....a compressor introduces a fixed temperature increase depending on the compression ratio. (aside from the heat added from friction, the engine and other fixed sources, which wont change based on the air intake config),

basic gas law....increased pressure, without a decrease in volume leads to an increase in temperature, since the intake manifold and supercharger casing dont change size, its a fixed volume, so any increase in pressure will increase temps proportionately (PressurexVolume=k x Temperature)

So since the super charger only adds a certain amount of heat any decrease in temp of the incoming air will also decrease the temp of the charge air from the super charger.

also since the super gets gets power from the engine (obviously) any decrease in resistance to bringing in the air results in the supercharger drawing less power away from the engine, leading to less parasitic power loss

A good cold air intake (actually draws in cold air...not engine bay air) will benefit all forms of intake systems....turbo, super, N/A
While I normally agree with Maxx, this statement is 100% correct. A cold air intake will still help a blown engine.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
While I normally agree with Maxx, this statement is 100% correct. A cold air intake will still help a blown engine.
- X
Completely off topic, so sorry, but what color red is that on you tank? In the pic it looks different from the frame. That is a sweet paint job on that bike. Heck, that's just an awesome bike...
Old 07-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Completely off topic, so sorry, but what color red is that on you tank? In the pic it looks different from the frame. That is a sweet paint job on that bike. Heck, that's just an awesome bike...
Heh, I couldn't tell you because its regretfully not my bike. My bike is currently torn into about 10,000 different pieces - thats merely the inspiration pic of what I want mine to look similar to when its done.

I'll be doing mine in candy apple red metallic, though.
- X

Old 07-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
1% increase is per ambient temp drop is a baseline number, but remember when air is compressed it's heated. In the case of a supercharger, even if the ambient temp is say 100degrees, the output temp (ie: post-compression) is going to be say 500degrees F. A 10deg increase in the original ambient source temp is going to have little to no affect on the output temperature -- perhaps less than a degree. This has little or no affect on the end result (Ie: horsepower as the final measurement). While having a lower intake charge *may* help increase power, it is highly subjective based on other environmental and design factors (type of engine, displacement, etc. etc).

It's safe to assume that in most cases, intercooling is also used. When this comes into play, the efficiency of the intercooling is the real factor, as outlet temps of compression tend to be a constant value at any given range.

In the grand scheme of things, the ability to delivery the correct VOLUME of air to the inlet far exceeds it's original temperature upon entry (for a street car). We get into turbine efficiency in jet engines for example, this changes a bit Point being -- focus less on trying to cool the air before it gets to the compressor (which you have a very limited ability to drop it any significant amount over actual ambient..) and more on post compressor.

Edited for my horrible spelling LOL

Last edited by MadMaxx; 07-08-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTron View Post

Sure, the ability to reduce temps is, on paper, always going to generate lower output temps... but in the real world, it doesn't end up changing the bottom line much. The actual gains per dollar are very low in trying to extract the few extra HP out of a CAI system vs. just about anything else doesn't end up being economical. Diminishing returns plays a HUGE part in IC efficiency.

Good turbo + Tune > some logo'd plastic pipe with a filter
Old 07-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
1% increase is per ambient temp drop is a baseline number, but remember when air is compressed it's heated. In the case of a supercharger, even if the ambient temp is say 100degrees, the output temp (ie: post-compression) is going to be say 500degrees F. A 10deg increase in the original ambient source temp is going to have little to no affect on the output temperature -- perhaps less than a degree. This has little or no affect on the end result (Ie: horsepower as the final measurement). While having a lower intake charge *may* help increase power, it is highly subjective based on other environmental and design factors (type of engine, displacement, etc. etc).

It's safe to assume that in most cases, intercooling is also used. When this comes into play, the efficiency of the intercooling is the real factor, as outlet temps of compression tend to be a constant value at any given range.

In the grand scheme of things, the ability to delivery the correct VOLUME of air to the inlet far exceeds it's original temperature upon entry (for a street car). We get into turbine efficiency in jet engines for example, this changes a bit Point being -- focus less on trying to cool the air before it gets to the compressor (which you have a very limited ability to drop it any significant amount over actual ambient..) and more on post compressor.

Edited for my horrible spelling LOL

Actually, your numbers are way off. In order to produce 500* fahrenheit of output temperature in air, you would have to be using almost 60 psi of boost.

Ideal Gas Law states that pV = nRT. Therefore ........p(ATM) .....= .....p(final)
.................................................. ...................T(ambient) ..........T(final)

OR ....T(final) ......= ......p(final)
......T(ambient) ............p(ATM)

Which means that for 12 PSI of boost (random number for an example), your temperature will be 1.8 times your ambient (intake) temperature. If that temperature is 100 degrees, you're looking at 180 degrees of final temperature. With 90 degrees, you're looking at 162 degrees - 18 degrees of drop (Wow, thats MORE than on a N/A setup!).

Maxx, like I said before, I usually agree with you. But the physics is telling a completely different story than what you're telling.
- X

P.S. - Not saying that a CAI will make more effect than a tune and whatnot, but the numbers show that it does have an effect on output temps.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Actually, your numbers are way off. In order to produce 500* fahrenheit of output temperature in air, you would have to be using almost 60 psi of boost.
Hence it being a value of X... some random number just to illustrate a point that the ultimate change of output temps has little to do with the relatively MINOR changes one can actually inact on the intake temps. I didn't expect someone to take it literally

I do like your quick google graph though.

Quote:
Which means that for 12 PSI of boost (random number for an example), your temperature will be 1.8 times your ambient (intake) temperature. If that temperature is 100 degrees, you're looking at 180 degrees of final temperature. With 90 degrees, you're looking at 162 degrees - 18 degrees of drop (Wow, thats MORE than on a N/A setup!).

Maxx, like I said before, I usually agree with you. But the physics is telling a completely different story than what you're telling.
- X

P.S. - Not saying that a CAI will make more effect than a tune and whatnot, but the numbers show that it does have an effect on output temps.
No one said it *DIDN'T* have an affect on output temp (notice I actually did, but I was being far to broad apparently LOL) but to which degree it would actually be helpful is the point. You're, I'm assuming, intentionally leaving out intercooling -- the one thing that matters most when dealing with modern forced induction.

A true 10degree reduction in elevated ambient temp (ie: by the time it actually makes it to the inlet of X) is actually somewhat tough to come by in many cases. Even if you managed to achieve 10deg in your example, you reduced outlet temps by <20deg. Congrats, you - on paper - achieved a 1.8% increase in HP or approximately 5hp at the flywheel on 304bhp. On a 400hp setup (again, being generally broad) that's around 7hp. I struggle to constrain my enthusiasm over 7hp...really.

The spread of that same outlet temp vs. the modified outlet temp when passed over an intercooler (again -- overly broad examples here folks) the gap narrows quite a bit. Diminishing returns my friends... it's a bitch :(

I'm not exactly new to the turbo world, and all I'm doing is giving real world examples on what priorty should be. I don't bench race, I don't theorycraft on what xxxxxx combo would make -- I only care about something functioning it's best for the lowest investment possible

1 TT Viper - home built by me when I was 19
1 Lotus Esprit
5 Turbo supras (Mk3 and Mkiv)
1 TT (1JZ) swapped Lexus SC300
2 3000GTs VR4s (one of them Hennessy's original silver state classic car)
2 Buick GNs
1 Turbo TA (20th AV)
Several turbo diesel trucks of various makes

Cheers!