Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1fun View Post
ummm because 500 hp just isn't enough these days. of coarse there will be other mods as well. If you bought a new 70k+ camaro (estimated) would you want gt500's and zl1's smoking you at every light??? I know....the z28 is a track car.
Wouldn't matter what engine was in the Z/28, they'd still be smoking me at every light as I would not be "racing" against someone on the street.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #30
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
ummm because 500 hp just isn't enough these days. of coarse there will be other mods as well. If you bought a new 70k+ camaro (estimated) would you want gt500's and zl1's smoking you at every light??? I know....the z28 is a track car.
Apples and oranges.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #31
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Men, with a sense of responsibility to their community and fellow citizens take it to the track. So, I don't give a sh*t about any other car sitting at a stop light and I sure as hell don't want to be anywhere near a dickhead that wants to "smoke me" at a stop light on a public road. Of "coarse" any testosterone-addled douchebag that practices racing on public streets has earned the opportunity to have their car confiscated and auctioned off by the local po-po.

Driving in a straight line is boring. What I do enjoy mightily is honing my skills and pitting my ability against other drivers at a track event.

So, yes, you figured it out in your last sentence, the Z/28 is a track car, where a high-revving NA engine is usually the right choice.

Tell us about your left-seat road course experience?

Last edited by Zfatuated; 09-07-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #32
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
This thing doesn't need as much HP as the ZL1 because it won't be a heavy pig like the ZL1. The Z/28 isn't about straight line acceleration. It's about running a road course as fast as possible. Bolting on a supercharger with all it's extra weight will ruin the handling they developed with the Z/28.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #33
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
Sorry let me clarify...

I'm aware the spoiler is different from the normal SS/ZL1 spoiler

Al O. Said in the Leno interview there is a 'wicker bill' that attaches to the z/28 spoiler for increased downforce on certain tracks. Since it kinda looks like the spoiler on this z/28 looks a bit taller than the normal z/28 spoiler, I'm wondering if this z/28 has said attachment.

I'm picturing something like the spoiler on the zl1 carbon edition

Look closely you can see how the Z/28 extension looks in the picture (see the link I provided above).
Old 09-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #34
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Great videos thanks for sharing
Old 09-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #35
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I don't know what they've done to the Z/28's exhaust but not only does it sound different from the Vette but it sounds quite a bit better! Man what a gorgeous sound!

The Z/28 has the LS7 or 427C.I. or 7.0 Liter engine (which ever designation you would like to use)with dual mode exhaust, while the new C7 has the new LT1 or basically a LS3, 6.2 Liter with direct injection and variable valve timing with dual mode exhaust. The LT1 is making 460 HP and 465 Torque in the C7. So that's why the Z/28 sounds better cause the LS7.
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #36
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 LS Supercar View Post
The Z/28 has the LS7 or 427C.I. or 7.0 Liter engine (which ever designation you would like to use)with dual mode exhaust, while the new C7 has the new LT1 or basically a LS3, 6.2 Liter with direct injection and variable valve timing with dual mode exhaust. The LT1 is making 460 HP and 465 Torque in the C7. So that's why the Z/28 sounds better cause the LS7.
I promise you he knows this...
Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #37
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 LS Supercar View Post
I'm used to hearing V8's. In fact I was out at the speedway today driving in an HPDE event and heard everything from Hondas to Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos and everything in between. There's a throaty, tubular tonal frequency in the Z/28 exhaust that I don't hear elsewhere. It really sounds good. The Z06's and ZR1's at the track today didn't have that sound. Between the tri-y headers and piping, Stielow and team have done something with either the pipe size, crossover, mufflers or something to give it that great tone. Can't wait to actually hear one of these in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I promise you he knows this...
Hey, it was good info anyways.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #38
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I'm used to hearing V8's. In fact I was out at the speedway today driving in an HPDE event and heard everything from Hondas to Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos and everything in between. There's a throaty, tubular tonal frequency in the Z/28 exhaust that I don't hear elsewhere. It really sounds good. The Z06's and ZR1's at the track today didn't have that sound. Between the tri-y headers and piping, Stielow and team have done something with either the pipe size, crossover, mufflers or something to give it that great tone. Can't wait to actually hear one of these in person.

Hey, it was good info anyways.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #39
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
more info pointing to this being part of the record run. Single driver ...first time I've seen this

notice the body lift on accel...more than I would have thought. Is the side skirt trim there? it looks like it is not?

a confidence tap settles her down

a silver roof?….the first time this car (I think it is the same car based only on the paint job) did not have a silver roof….the black gaffers tape is to hold down the wires to the data/gps antennas….I think there are 3 and a cellular antenna on the right rear also possibly a suction mount on the upper right of the windshield for a gopro.

you can see the 2 black dots next to the factory antenna..these are likely wired gps/data antennas

and a white 3rd data antenna

the added wicker on the rear spoiler

now is the time…cool weather for hp but not too cool surface temps…they are working hard.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #40
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
It would sound so much better if you removed the mufflers.
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #41
Full Lock
Evasive Maneuvers

Drives: SIM '15 1SS 1LE
Inspector Tintops ha bravo
Full Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #42
Mike 2SS-ZL1

Drives: 89' Camaro IROC-Z28 Convertible
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike 2SS-ZL1
the Z/28 sounds good :-)