Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #43
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Elco View Post
Vash do you know how to speak english. Reading your post was like reading something a 2nd grader wrote!
Maybe a little hard to read ...but I think Vash is right about it.

Nobody wants to go down this road at this time. It is all but inevitable that some day in the future we will need to stop burning things to make power. I would not predict when it will happen, but have no doubt that it WILL happen.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:02 AM   #44
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
E85=lower MPG
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #45
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
I'm not sure about the whole E85 engines don't last as long. I kinda doubt that GM would put out so many vehicles that can run on it knowing they would be unreliable a few eyars down the road. It's kinda like intentionally putting out bad press. Plus at one time you may remember that gasoline engines wouldn't last very long if run on unleaded fuel. But we overcame that hurdle.
I would gladly run E85 in my Avy. But I don't even know where there is an E85 station in Toronto. The world DOES have capacity to generate much more corn and other materials to satisfy the eventual E85 demand. We just need to adjust the supply production. If the demand for these source materials (such as corn) goes up and production stays the same then of course there will be shortages and price increases - duh! The governments need to encourage these programs so there will be incentife for growers and station owners to supply the stuff to the public more readily. It's like the OEMs (and specifically GM) is ahead of the curve on this one. Look how many E85 capable vehicles are running around (even Dodges) compared to the population of available E85 stations. I don't know, but I suspect the profit margin on E85 is smaller. Shameful

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #46
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
E85=lower MPG
But increased HP. Research is a good thing my friend

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #47
lnsjr1

Drives: 02'Z28 07'CTS 03'HD Fatboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Any program, that makes fuel from food, is destined to fail.

Period.

LabRat
Good point....What do you think that would do to the global food prices and not to mention the amount of forrests that would be cleared to grow food for the demand and that also means the green house gases would more then likely go up in those areas. Theres more to think about just getting fuels to burn in our cars.

Heres another point to think about. Henry Ford was the first man to think about fossel fuels were not the way to go. He built the first refinery in the US, but when prohibition hit it was forced to be closed, some say the BIG OIL ( The Rockerfellers) had alot to do with pushing Prohibition laws to protect the somewhat new industry. Get educated and read because the info is out there.
lnsjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #48
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
I am amazed at some the comments. Obviously some of you did not read the article. Please read the intended article before posting, what a concept. Also I did not know there is so many energy/food experts.

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #49
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
Also I did not know there is so many energy/food experts.

E85 = lower gas mileage, BUT when you start paying $.50/gallon less, who cares? Somewhere along the line, it's going to start paying off.

**.$50/gallon is a random number I made up.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #50
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

Period.

LabRat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnsjr1 View Post
Good point....What do you think that would do to the global food prices and not to mention the amount of forrests that would be cleared to grow food for the demand and that also means the green house gases would more then likely go up in those areas. Theres more to think about just getting fuels to burn in our cars.

Heres another point to think about. Henry Ford was the first man to think about fossel fuels were not the way to go. He built the first refinery in the US, but when prohibition hit it was forced to be closed, some say the BIG OIL ( The Rockerfellers) had alot to do with pushing Prohibition laws to protect the somewhat new industry. Get educated and read because the info is out there.

x 2.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #51
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Drives: 1969 Camaro 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Yeah, and the mainstream media will tell everybody the news, then throw something bad right after it so it makes GM look bad again. I'm really sick and tired of the media.
I hate the media #1 problem in our country.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #52
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Drives: 1969 Camaro 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I'm a caveman. Give me my V8 and 93 octane gasoline and leave me the hell alone. I'm not a scientist. What will be is what will be. This is the same scientific comunity who argues global warming and can't seem to figure out wether an egg is good for you or not. I hope it's all on the up and up and would obviously support it but every book is written with an opinion one way or the other.
im a proud cave man good post
Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #53
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
This is pretty cool if it comes to fruition. I think GM does matter and this is just one of the decent reasons. I've always wondered where all this E85 is at.... never once seen it in my neck of the woods. Maybe it'll start happening now.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #54
dougmac

Drives: 2011 V6 MCA & 1969 GT Mustang
A few different people that I know that have E85 capable cars have tried "E85" and ALL have said that the lower price DID NOT make up the difference in lost MPG.

Bottom line is they were actually spending "MORE $$ PER MILE" running the E85 than regular 87 octane E10 !!

For E85 to be viable, they need to reduce it's price to where the average driver SAVES money using it. Hopefully with new technolgies (as mentioned in 1st post) will eventually bring the price down to where it is actually cost effective to run it.

Doug
dougmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #55
AVNMechanic

Drives: Want a 2SS/RS IOM
Straight from Mascoma's web site:

Lebanon, NH - May 7, 2009: Mascoma Corporation today announced that the company
has made major research advances in consolidated bioprocessing, or CBP, a low-cost
processing strategy for production of biofuels from cellulosic biomass. CBP avoids the
need for the costly production of cellulase enzymes by using engineered
microorganisms that produce cellulases and ethanol at high yield in a single step.
“This is a true breakthrough that takes us much, much closer to billions of gallons of low
cost cellulosic biofuels,” said Michigan State University’s Dr. Bruce Dale, who is also
Editor of the journal Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefineries. “Many had thought that
CBP was years or even decades away, but the future just arrived. Mascoma has
permanently changed the biofuels landscape from here on.”
In a recent Forbes article, biofuels expert Helena Chum of the National Renewable
Energy Laboratory in Golden, Colorado, commented on CBP, saying “This is the golden
dream. All of the processes in one super-organism. That would be the lowest cost
possible.” A prominent DOE/USDA research agenda states that “CBP is widely
considered to be the ultimate low-cost configuration for cellulose hydrolysis and
fermentation.”

The full .PDF: http://www.mascoma.com/news/pdf/Tech...09%20FINAL.pdf
Old 05-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #56
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:

Period.

LabRat
HELLLLLOOOOO!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote