Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
black10ss

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Moving to the PNW....A few questions.

I am moving from Washington DC to the Fort Lewis area on July first. We are excited for the change as we have never been on the West Coast. I have a 2010 SS with long tubes,Borla axle back, a cold air intake and recently had a cam installed. I read on the state website that I will have to pass California emissions before I can register there? So....if that is true, should I prolong registering the car? I'm not sure that I can pass the emissions with a cam. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
MonsterV6

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Never heard of that before, don't know why you would need to pass a California state emissions to register in Washington state.
MonsterV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
habunow1

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS, 2011 CG 1LT IPF SC
I take it you are active duty military from the picture on your post and if that is so I would suggest registering it at your home of record if it will pass there. I dont believe you will be able to pass in California with the list of your current mods. For my entire career in the Marines I kept my home of record drivers licence and registeration. If your not active wish you the best of luck.
habunow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
keving2873

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
I recently moved back to WA, but it was from OR, so a little different there. When I registered my vehicle, there was no emissions check, and I have almost the exact same setup as you. Persoanlly I think you shouldn't have any troubles, but the rules may have changed since I registered a few years ago.
Custom Comp Cam 231/234 114LSA 617/598 lift, Katech timing chain
Apex Catch-can
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
20" Niche Essen's wrapped in Michelin PSS 315/295
keving2873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Pflyn lo

Drives: 2013 summit white zl1
Welcome to the pnw. Great place to call home. For some info, we are having the third annual Wally's get together in Buckley. About 25 miles from ft Lewis. August 9th. Would love to see you there and you can meet a lot of beautiful cars and some really nice people. We also have on Facebook the western Washington 5th generation camaro club that you can join if interested. Look forward to meeting once you get moved. Again, welcome
Pflyn lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
black10ss

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Thanks for the replies and warm welcome Pflyn lo. I'll just see how it all works when I get there. The website is a bit vague in regards to exactly who has to get the inspection.

I look forward to meeting up as soon as I get settled.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:47 AM   #7
dbassd

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Z/28
black10ss, I recently moved to WA from CA.

First, in CA you would fail the visual with your LT's; you wouldn't even make it to the sniffer.

Second, as others have said; you won't need to pass CA emissions for WA unless you have failed to mention something like that's where the car will be registered.

Lastly, I found this helpful when moving here from CA as not all WA counties have emissions. This is a list of what ZIP codes in which counties have emissions but...my understanding is that WA does NOT have a visual inspection like CA so if your car is tuned for your LT's, it might still pass.

http://www.emissiontestwa.com/e/ZipC...ip_codes07.pdf

Good luck man and thank you for your service to our country!!!
dbassd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Applegarth

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS
The emissions test here is basically a check to see if your car is throwing any emission codes using the OBDII system, they don't sniff the exhaust unless they can't scan your computer. Cars are exempt from the inspection for the first 5 years so I don't think many Camaros have even had this inspection due yet.

When I PCS'ed up here, I swung by my Home of Record and registered my Camaro there so I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle.

Now one other thing...to register your vehicle on base, it's required to pass an emissions test regardless of where it's registered. However, the base has suspended the registration requirement for the time being. If they change their mind later on, and your car is over 5 years old...you will then have to pass an emissions test to drive on base.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
2010 cars and newer are exempt, im a licesened tech so I get this question from time to time since im right next to Mcchord and Ft lewis.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
MonsterV6

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applegarth View Post
The emissions test here is basically a check to see if your car is throwing any emission codes using the OBDII system, they don't sniff the exhaust unless they can't scan your computer. Cars are exempt from the inspection for the first 5 years so I don't think many Camaros have even had this inspection due yet.

When I PCS'ed up here, I swung by my Home of Record and registered my Camaro there so I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle.

Now one other thing...to register your vehicle on base, it's required to pass an emissions test regardless of where it's registered. However, the base has suspended the registration requirement for the time being. If they change their mind later on, and your car is over 5 years old...you will then have to pass an emissions test to drive on base.

Think I saw your car on 167 the other day. Made me break my neck looking at it going north bound lol
MonsterV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #11
Applegarth

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterV6 View Post
Think I saw your car on 167 the other day. Made me break my neck looking at it going north bound lol
Quite possibly...I used my Camaro when I went up to Seattle on Monday. I don't remember seeing you, but I did make a few wrong turns so I wasn't really looking for Camaros. I just wanted out of that traffic!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
It varies in WA. If you live in Spokane you have to pass emissions. I live 20 miles north in a rural area so I don't have to pass emissions. If it gets difficult, you can use my address.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
if you have a 2nd car drive that car 99% of the time when you go on base, if you drive it less than 10% of the time then you will not have to get it tested. ALSO Thurston county is just down the road We where we live at are 30 mins out the back gate of Lewis & DO not have to test.

By 2020 all emission testing in Washington state is going to be gone anyways.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote