Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest

Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #4691
Commit and Conquer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
I contacted Spec and on mine both the clutch and the flywheel are SFI certified and they are sending me the certificates since I think they got thrown away....We have to have them in our log book for tech inspections. Yours should be right there with the paperwork on yours. However, beyond the specs and certification on the flywheel and clutch you will need the SFI6.1 bellhousing to cover the whole thing up. It was suggested to take a picture of it installed for the log book as well.

Go Joe go...
Larry, let me know if the part you sent the link for is the right part. Wonder if Clint can get the bellhousings for those that want or need them?

Manley Crank, Wiseco Pistons, Compstar H Beam Rods, ARP Main/Studs, Copper Treated "hi boost" head gaskets, FI Cam & Ported Heads w/Manley Extreme Duty Valves, Lunati Link Bar Lifters, Fuel System w/LPE Dual pumps, Twin Fuel Feed line/Single return w/ boost reference regulator, NW 102mm TB, 10-Rib ASP custom pulley kit, Twin RX Catch Cans, Roto Fab CAI, TSP Stainless Headers, Spec Twin Disc P-Trim Clutch, DSS Level 5 Axles, Eibach and BMR Full suspension
Commit and Conquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #4692
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commit and Conquer View Post
Larry, let me know if the part you sent the link for is the right part. Wonder if Clint can get the bellhousings for those that want or need them?
Same here..... If I find anything I'll let you guys know too.
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #4693
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
FYI: LAST CHANCE FOR Camaro5Fest Drive T-SHIRT ORDERS IS TUESDAY. Order being placed Wednesday morning. We're up to 13 "Tequila Sunrise" and 14 "Midnight Run" T-shirts. Also, just a reminder... these are Mens sizes, 100% preshrunk cotton. If you need to make a change, please do it on the Camaro5thread. Paypal payments per thread need to be marked as "send as gift". 2nd post of thread reflects your order for your review

Two more weeks to get ready for Cfest!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137104
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #4694
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
You would think that with all of our visits to the track we would have known some of this sooner...lol But it seems that we were too busy playing rather than investigating the little details. Fortunately, Spec was great and totally understood what I was needing and sending what I need. And thanks to Brian I have a picture of the clutch installed. As Pepper and Hulk stated the log book is required to make getting tech inspection trouble free and to keep track of dates and sfi experiations much easier. Like belts are only good for two years and then must be replaced. helmet certifications, Even the bellhousing must be re certified after 10 years by sending back to the factory...WTF. But I guess its all about safety at the faster speeds.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #4695
Mike@RMCR

Drives: Supercharged
Quote:
I contacted Spec and on mine both the clutch and the flywheel are SFI certified and they are sending me the certificates since I think they got thrown away....We have to have them in our log book for tech inspections. Yours should be right there with the paperwork on yours. However, beyond the specs and certification on the flywheel and clutch you will need the SFI6.1 bellhousing to cover the whole thing up. It was suggested to take a picture of it installed for the log book as well.

Go Joe go...

When using any aftermarket twin or triple disc. You should not need the bell housing. We ran into this with our one mile corvette.

NHRA said they consider the the clutch caged with our triple disc Tilten clutch we were running and Street Twin from Spec should be the same. I will call my rep at Spec today and verify.

Also we have been a dealer for Spec for over 8 years I can beat any ones price.
Mike@RMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #4696
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@RMCR View Post
When using any aftermarket twin or triple disc. You should not need the bell housing. We ran into this with our one mile corvette.

NHRA said they consider the the clutch caged with our triple disc Tilten clutch we were running and Street Twin from Spec should be the same. I will call my rep at Spec today and verify.

Also we have been a dealer for Spec for over 8 years I can beat any ones price.
Please Mike...let us know what you find out....This is a big deal to most of us as you can bet. But will it pass the inspections.. I know the clutch and flywheel meet thos standards but what about the sfi 6.1,2,3, bellhousing requirements.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #4697
Mike@RMCR

Quote:
Please Mike...let us know what you find out....This is a big deal to most of us as you can bet. But will it pass the inspections.. I know the clutch and flywheel meet thos standards but what about the sfi 6.1,2,3, bellhousing requirements.

For us using the Tilten. It superseded the bellhousing since the clutch is built with a billet cage since it is a twin or triple disc.

I think the ZR1 or other steel style housing are going to require the bell housing or a SFI Kevlar blanket.

My Rep at Spec is checking right now.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #4698
Mike@RMCR

Quote:

Bummer. Spec is not sure since there housing is billet aluminum and the Tilten is Titanium. The dont think NHRA will let it pass.

I have used Kevlar blankets and had a local upholstery shop sew it it to the right size on the Corvettes. Should be able to get it done on the Camaros as well.

Sorry Guys.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #4699
2010 SS RS

I called Quick Time a division of Lakewood at 641-673-4468 Got thru to the tech dept to verify part number and application. Left a message and he will get back with me.

Correct me if I am wrong Mike. But doesn't the blanket only meet the SFI 4.2 standard which is ok for an Auto tranny cover but not the standards for the Flywheel or clutch. Believe me I want the less expensive and less invasive approach but also dont want to lie at the tech inspection either and certainly want to make sure my feet are safe along with spectators. I know its rare but some of the stories and video's of these catosrophic accidents are truly horrifiying.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #4700
Commit and Conquer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
I called Quick Time a division of Lakewood at 641-673-4468 Got thru to the tech dept to verify part number and application. Left a message and he will get back with me.

Correct me if I am wrong Mike. But doesn't the blanket only meet the SFI 4.2 standard which is ok for an Auto tranny cover but not the standards for the Flywheel or clutch. Believe me I want the less expensive and less invasive approach but also dont want to lie at the tech inspection either and certainly want to make sure my feet are safe along with spectators. I know its rare but some of the stories and video's of these catosrophic accidents are truly horrifiying.
Let me know Larry...better to be safe than sorry!

Manley Crank, Wiseco Pistons, Compstar H Beam Rods, ARP Main/Studs, Copper Treated "hi boost" head gaskets, FI Cam & Ported Heads w/Manley Extreme Duty Valves, Lunati Link Bar Lifters, Fuel System w/LPE Dual pumps, Twin Fuel Feed line/Single return w/ boost reference regulator, NW 102mm TB, 10-Rib ASP custom pulley kit, Twin RX Catch Cans, Roto Fab CAI, TSP Stainless Headers, Spec Twin Disc P-Trim Clutch, DSS Level 5 Axles, Eibach and BMR Full suspension
Commit and Conquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #4701
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Drives: ABM RS\SS; 69 427 Camaro; 1970 Z28
Question

Quote:

Interesting stuff to consider. I know that any clutch cars that run nitrous are supposed to have a blow-proof bellhousing, along with anything running 11:49 or faster. I was not aware of anyone having an aftermarket bellhousing yet, but this quote from the NHRA regulations file states this:

"2:10 FLYWHEEL SHIELD: Other Classes
All other cars using a clutch and running 11.49 or quicker must be
equipped with an SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, or 9.1 flywheel shield."

This means that those of you running this fast might be able to get away with a simple shield...providing Lakewood or somebody makes one for the 6060. Sure as hell is cheaper and a lot simpler to put on than a complete bellhousing.
I've done that in the past for some of the previous race cars, when I didn't wanna tear the whole car apart. Certainly worth a phone call.

Rob
AquaRSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #4702
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRSSS View Post
Interesting stuff to consider. I know that any clutch cars that run nitrous are supposed to have a blow-proof bellhousing, along with anything running 11:49 or faster. I was not aware of anyone having an aftermarket bellhousing yet, but this quote from the NHRA regulations file states this:

"2:10 FLYWHEEL SHIELD: Other Classes
All other cars using a clutch and running 11.49 or quicker must be
equipped with an SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, or 9.1 flywheel shield."

This means that those of you running this fast might be able to get away with a simple shield...providing Lakewood or somebody makes one for the 6060. Sure as hell is cheaper and a lot simpler to put on than a complete bellhousing.
I've done that in the past for some of the previous race cars, when I didn't wanna tear the whole car apart. Certainly worth a phone call.

Rob
Rob that is my understanding as well. Lakewood owns Quick Time now and I think they make what we need. I have a call into them to be sure but RM 8020 is a ls3 to a T56 tranny. From what I have been told the T56 is the same case as the tremec 6060 just different guts.

Boy this is all more of an education than I ever thought but hopefully our efforts will pave the way for future builds.

Larry
Old 03-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #4703
Mike@RMCR

Quote:

It worked for us in this corvette, but it was a few years ago. Also on the corvettes no one makes a bell housing for it. I would say you will be fine with out it. Alot of those rules are over looked at tech. Even more so when it is a specialty paid event.

I agree it is always great to have the safety parts, but if they dont exist there is not much to be done. Except to improvise.

Thanks, I will do some more checking and see what I can figure out for you guys.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #4704
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Drives: ABM RS\SS; 69 427 Camaro; 1970 Z28
Cool Tranny shield

Quote:
Rob that is my understanding as well. Lakewood owns Quick Time now and I think they make what we need. I have a call into them to be sure but RM 8020 is a ls3 to a T56 tranny. From what I have been told the T56 is the same case as the tremec 6060 just different guts.

Boy this is all more of an education than I ever thought but hopefully our efforts will pave the way for future builds.

Larry
Cool. I'll be following the thread to see what you find out...not that my car is anywhere near that fast, or will be in the foresee-able future.

Rob
AquaRSSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 callaway, 45th anniversary, colorado camaro