Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest

Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #4705
ARMYRockyMtn

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
Hey all, hope everyone is well and its been awhile since ive posted on here (work, finalizing retirement, etc...) but does anyone have a good P.O.C for fixing factory 20" rims? They aren't bent, just an ungodly amount of chips, scrapes that I would hopefully be able to get fixed. Any and all help would be great.....
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #4706
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Ok got word back from Spec and here is his email.

Larry,

6.1 is a not a clutch spec, it is a bellhousing spec (transmission bellhousing). If you have a certified multidisc in a 6.1 bellhousing, you do not need a blanket. You must be thinking of a clutch cover, which SFI does not consider a certifiable part. They spin the cover/surface assembly and flywheel for certification, and all our units are certified, not just
our billet units like what you have.

David Norton
P 800-828-4379 Ext: 110
F 205.491.8593
back to me now.......
So as we knew the clutch meets the required sfi rating. But we will have to have the sfi 6,3 rating since we are supercharged or non NA. Its the same as 6.1 just different stage. Joe that should also answer your question regarding your stage 3 Spec Clutch too. Its sfi certified.

Still waiting on Lakewood/Quick Time to get back to me with specific confirmation as to which part will fit our set up.

Mike I agree with you that we might could slide thru tech but it would have to be an out and out lie to them as they are the ones that brought this to my attention and stated that they wanted not only the paperwork but a photo in the log book. Obviously, as their insurance carriers etc put the clamps on them they then put them back onto us. And they are trying to not just protect us from ourselves but they are protecting the waterbox guy and the starter as well from serious injury. If they did not tech properly and someone got hurt from something that slipped thru it obviously puts them at financial risk.

Pain in the arse for sure and hard to believe that we never really even thought of this before. But it sounds like a few of the rest of you already have experienced this.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #4707
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMYRockyMtn View Post
Hey all, hope everyone is well and its been awhile since ive posted on here (work, finalizing retirement, etc...) but does anyone have a good P.O.C for fixing factory 20" rims? They aren't bent, just an ungodly amount of chips, scrapes that I would hopefully be able to get fixed. Any and all help would be great.....
Try this...303-853-9978

They can re-surface and paint the rims at a pretty good price!
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #4708
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMYRockyMtn View Post
hey welcome back.. Seems like a few of the guys have gone to get them powder coated...I am sure they will post up with contacts
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 03-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #4709
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Drives: ABM RS\SS; 69 427 Camaro; 1970 Z28
Mystery Bell-housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Ok got word back from Spec and here is his email.

Larry,

6.1 is a not a clutch spec, it is a bellhousing spec (transmission bellhousing). If you have a certified multidisc in a 6.1 bellhousing, you do not need a blanket. You must be thinking of a clutch cover, which SFI does not consider a certifiable part. They spin the cover/surface assembly and flywheel for certification, and all our units are certified, not just
our billet units like what you have.

David Norton
P 800-828-4379 Ext: 110
F 205.491.8593
back to me now.......
So as we knew the clutch meets the required sfi rating. But we will have to have the sfi 6,3 rating since we are supercharged or non NA. Its the same as 6.1 just different stage. Joe that should also answer your question regarding your stage 3 Spec Clutch too. Its sfi certified.

Still waiting on Lakewood/Quick Time to get back to me with specific confirmation as to which part will fit our set up.

Mike I agree with you that we might could slide thru tech but it would have to be an out and out lie to them as they are the ones that brought this to my attention and stated that they wanted not only the paperwork but a photo in the log book. Obviously, as their insurance carriers etc put the clamps on them they then put them back onto us. And they are trying to not just protect us from ourselves but they are protecting the waterbox guy and the starter as well from serious injury. If they did not tech properly and someone got hurt from something that slipped thru it obviously puts them at financial risk.

Pain in the arse for sure and hard to believe that we never really even thought of this before. But it sounds like a few of the rest of you already have experienced this.
OK,,,but still doesn't answer the key question and that is does anyone make this bell-housing that is 6.1 compliant, or a shield? Having a spec'd clutch is wonderful, but without something to contain it in, it still doesn't pass tech. You can lie about the clutch, but the tech team can clearly see if you have a spec'd bell-housing from the outside, if someone makes it. That way, your SFI or stock clutch can explode and still remain safe in the bell-housing or be contained by the shield. Can't believe we can't get a straight answer from anyone yet. Time for me to call a big vendor and yell at someone...I enjoy that WAY too much.

Rob
AquaRSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #4710
2010 SS RS

Ok just talked with technical department at Lakewood/ Quick Time.
No part is available yet thus no other alternative than a sfi 4.2 blanket.
Garth and Don are working on leads and pricing. Word is that there are no bellhousings for Camaro, Corvette or Mustangs running the tremec 6060 case.

He said we should be ok with tech with a blanket since no manufactured bellhousing is yet available.

Whew. Now we just have to convice the boys at bandimere of this.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #4711
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Wink Wheel refinishing

Quote:
hey welcome back.. Seems like a few of the guys have gone to get them powder coated...I am sure they will post up with contacts
If you're interested in polishing them, contact Jim at J&S Polishing. 719-477-9484. He does awesome work!! He's been polished all my engine parts, etc. for all my projects and my customers' projects for years. He will take the nicks and burrs out and make them look like chrome. Just gotta decide if you want to maintain them that way or powder-coat over them for ease of maintenance...slightly dulls them of course.

Rob
Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #4712
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Quote:
Ok just talked with technical department at Lakewood/ Quick Time.
No part is available yet thus no other alternative than a sfi 4.2 blanket.
Garth and Don are working on leads and pricing. Word is that there are no bellhousings for Camaro, Corvette or Mustangs running the tremec 6060 case.

He said we should be ok with tech with a blanket since no manufactured bellhousing is yet available.

Whew. Now we just have to convice the boys at bandimere of this.
GL with that.....if "grandpa" is still doing tech, you might as well hang it up.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #4713
2010 SS RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRSSS View Post
OK,,,but still doesn't answer the key question and that is does anyone make this bell-housing that is 6.1 compliant, or a shield? Having a spec'd clutch is wonderful, but without something to contain it in, it still doesn't pass tech. You can lie about the clutch, but the tech team can clearly see if you have a spec'd bell-housing from the outside, if someone makes it. That way, your SFI or stock clutch can explode and still remain safe in the bell-housing or be contained by the shield. Can't believe we can't get a straight answer from anyone yet. Time for me to call a big vendor and yell at someone...I enjoy that WAY too much.

Rob
Rob if you find another manufacturer with a 6.1 bellhousing please let us know
Lakewood/QuickTime is the biggest and they dont make one and have nothing in RD to do so either. Vettes and Mustangs with the tremec 6060 are also in the same boat.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #4714
ARMYRockyMtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
Try this...303-853-9978

They can re-surface and paint the rims at a pretty good price!
Thanks Kirk!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #4715
ARMYRockyMtn

Quote:
Good to be back..... been a whirlwind past few months, but all is good
Old 03-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #4716
ARMYRockyMtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRSSS View Post
If you're interested in polishing them, contact Jim at J&S Polishing. 719-477-9484. He does awesome work!! He's been polished all my engine parts, etc. for all my projects and my customers' projects for years. He will take the nicks and burrs out and make them look like chrome. Just gotta decide if you want to maintain them that way or powder-coat over them for ease of maintenance...slightly dulls them of course.

Rob
Well for my 20's I might powdercoat them, and have RJT inserts....... I have chrome 22's that hug the wheel well nicely and look "blingy", and was just going for a different look since the 22's aren't on the vehicle 24/7......Honestly just hoping that my factory 20's can be rescued without me having to buy another set of everyday rims
Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #4717
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Talking SFI bellhousing

Quote:
Rob if you find another manufacturer with a 6.1 bellhousing please let us know
Lakewood/QuickTime is the biggest and they dont make one and have nothing in RD to do so either. Vettes and Mustangs with the tremec 6060 are also in the same boat.
OK boys and girls... here's the poop!
Talked to the folks at McLeod and they have a solution. It's their modular bellhousing number 8710-00. It's designed for the earlier LS motored Camaros, but since it's modular, it's a matter of using the spacers included to get the proper fit based on input shaft length. They specifically mentioned bolting it up to a 6060 trans. Sounds like Clint or Mike (our super Vendors) should try this out (get a freebie one from McLeod in the interest of research, as they said they have not had a 2010 Camaro on their racks) and let the community know how painful it is to do, and we can all join in and buy one if it works. Cost is only around $550 and they're SFI approved!!

ok..I need to edit this.. McLeod has another part number..8710-04, which is specific to the Tremec setup. Now, after talking to them, the only diff between this kit and the -00 kit is the shim to allow for spacing of the longer Tremec but the kit is $1079!! To top it off, the shim\space plate that comes with the kit is .700" . Yes, for all you math-types, that's a 3\4" spacer for $500!!! ..and there's no guarantee this'll fit the Camaro, as they haven't done one. Does anyone know what the bellhousing depth is for a TR-6060? I have the measurements of the bellhousing here from McLeod and would be curious to see if this is gonna fly. Either way, it's a pricey "test".

Rob

Last edited by AquaRSSS; 03-28-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: more info...
Old 03-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #4718
Hulk

Drives: 2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS
Bellhousings

Try contacting Browell Bell housing. They are the ones that made my bell housing for my 3 disk Crower Glide. Nobody had the pattern for my Pro-fab tranny or really wanted to talk to me. The guy at Browell worked with me and got me mine certified to a 6.3. As far as getting them powder coated you better get them done from the manufacture or it will void the certification! Chrome is what made my old ball housing unusable.

Tags
2012 callaway, 45th anniversary, colorado camaro