Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I would say that if you don't like it enough to just drive it for the hell of it then it's probably time to sell it while the re-sale values are still high. Then go buy yourself a Corvette as you initially suggested. You won't have much longer. Once the 2011 starts coming out I think we'll see the 2010 prices start declining.

On the other hand...if you want to still keep it then spend a little more money and get the Hotchkis Track Pack. From my understanding that will fix you up pretty good in handling dept.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #16
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My experience in a Camaro is limited (three different test drives of the 2SS), but they were enough for me to decide I had to have one. I thought it handled very well, but on the other hand my daily driver is a 2500 Dodge Ram with a 3" suspension lift and 35" tires, so a lot of things are going to feel more sporty to me. I look forward to driving my car (when it gets here), and get some real time experiences myself.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
Dack

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Dack
I agree, aftermarket sway bars would probably help your "ride feel" a lot.

I never really realized how great I loved my new Camaro until I got my '94 Z28 unstuck from the ice in my backyard and took it out for a spin. What a joke of horsepower compared to my new one (obviously, but I thought my 94 had more than that...)
Dack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzaaa View Post
Hi guys,

The best Camaro's ever made...for sure! But my old european Fiesta Zetec-S was way more fun, as was a similarly weighted and priced BMW 5 series that I had a few years back. Heavy cars can still put a smile on your face...

The whole point is...if it had any feel, you would know how hard you could push it...the feed back through the steering and the seat would let you know. The fact that I don't have that confidence because I don't know where the limits are is what ruins it.

Glad you guys are happy with yours though...maybe I'm just too picky!!

J.
I think GM was trying to appeal to more buyers with the Camaro's sedan-like ride. I've had second, third, and fourth gens and the latter handles like a race car. You feel the G's, you feel the steering response...and you also feel every bump in the road. I swear I can feel when I drive over painted stripes on the road.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Virtually any car that comes to market has some compromises to make it more attractive to more people.

That's why there is such a growing aftermarket out there. THis way we can make the changes we want without too much pain or (dare I say this) effort.

That's why I changed out my mufflers. I will be looking at adding headers, CAI and Hurst Shifter. Then the car will be exactly the way I like it.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
jputer

Drives: 2016 1LT Garnet Red
I just traded in a '99 Corvette Coupe A4 Z51 that I had owned for 4 years and put 50k miles on. I bought a 1LT with a M6. I enjoyed the Vette, but I LOVE the way the Camaro rides an drives. Yes you are more "isolated" from the outside environment and road feel is "damped" compared to the Vette. In the Corvette 75 MPH felt like it, in the Camaro 95 MPH doesn't feel like 55 in the Vette.

I would reccomend you either get with LPE, Hotchkiss, Detroit Speed or one of the other suspension vendors to "firm up" the suspension on your 2SS. I believe it will give you the "thrill" you need form your car.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:53 AM   #21
jezzaaa

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
My guess is that you are not all that confident in your own ability to drive. I have the 2ss and have driven many cars in the past. This car handles excellent and loves being pushed to the edges of the envelope. For the size and weight of this car I doubt you will find any factory mass produced cars that handle equal let alone better. One other post mentioned about upgrading the suspension, I agree, not that it is necessary, but it may give you more of the feel of the road that you seem to be looking for.
Hi Flyby...My ability to drive is just fine. I have had owned more than 15 cars in the 20 years since I got a license, so am reasonably experienced. I do regular track days etc. I'm not Michael Schumacher or anything, but I can tell the difference between cars with 'feel' and ones without. I agree the ride quality and cornering stability are excellent on the Camaro...but the feel is non existent, and without that you can't exploit the handling fully except on a track where you know you won't hit anyone else if you get it wrong! You don't know when you're approaching the edges of the envelope, to use your metaphor, until it's already understeering or oversteering!

Size and weight?? Nah there's loads of cars the same and heavier that are way more fun. Anything mid-sized from BMW/Jaguar for a start. It's nothing to do with weight when comparing with other similarly weighted cars...it's about how it's set up. The annoying thing is, I don't see why GM wouldn't have set it up for feel as it seems, from what people on here are saying, to be a fairly simple/cheap thing to do. And you don't need to sacrifice any ride quality etc as again demonstrated ably by the German engineers and others.

On a general note...I forgot to praise the auto gearbox which is very good. For once, it's not too bossy...it will let you ride right up to the red line without deciding itself to change down. I really wanted a manual, but over here no one will want it off me afterwards unless it's an auto!

Cheers,
J.
jezzaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #22
DTM
DTMphotography

Drives: 10' Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Sell it.
+1 and stop wasting everyones time by complaining....
Old 03-11-2010, 02:02 AM   #23
jezzaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
+1 and stop wasting everyones time by complaining....
Charming, I'm sure!! ;-) Nice to see you can accept someone else's point of view with good grace...NOT :-O

I wasn't complaining...just making a point, possibly useful to people who are considering a Camaro but expecting it to be something it isn't.

Last edited by jezzaaa; 03-11-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #24
Not Paid 4

Drives: The Wheels of this BEAST...
Location: You must be Young and Stupid before you become Old and Wise, Canton Georgia
I respect your Opinon and I can see your point, My C6 is a different animal all togather. I Really enjoy the Styling and overall ride of my Camaro, but if your looking for a car that will keep you on the edge on both track or the road spend the 10 grand and pick up a C6. I will say this, I have had twice as many comments on my Camaro than my Corvette.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #25
Reeko

Drives: 69 Camaro RS Conv. 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
My guess is that you are not all that confident in your own ability to drive. I have the 2ss and have driven many cars in the past. This car handles excellent and loves being pushed to the edges of the envelope. For the size and weight of this car I doubt you will find any factory mass produced cars that handle equal let alone better. One other post mentioned about upgrading the suspension, I agree, not that it is necessary, but it may give you more of the feel of the road that you seem to be looking for.

Well, I don't own one yet, only took a test drive. But I agree about the handling not being great. It is good, but I don't feel that connection with the road that I do in my current car - Mazda RX8.
My RX8 inspires confidence in the handling because of the feedback I get. Even before this thread, I was telling friends at work this same thing. The SS was great, I just felt more disconnected from the road than in my RX8.

But, I am still selling the RX8 to get the SS. I think the power make the SS more fun for me to drive, the RX8 is way underpowered. In the RX8, you need to drive fast to have fun - pushing it to the edge of handling to get that adrenalin rush. But in the SS, you get the rush from the feeling of acceleration.
Reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #26
jezzaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I agree with everything you said. I feel the same way on the feedback the car gives you. It reminds me of my chrysler 300c as far as the handle. I also have a 2010 GT500 and it's a totally different feel. I just got my camaro back from the shop with a new transmission, and I don't really know if to keep it or not.
My wife doesn't like to ride in because she can't see out and I'm afraid to run it hard now because of how easy the transmission broke. I love the looks of the car and it has good power ,but I find myself not wanting to drive it now that I have the GT500. I'm hoping that they get the Z/28 going and it's greatly improved over the SS so I can trade my SS on one.
Hi Coolman - I have to say, I don't have any concerns about the visability or quality/durability of the car. My first impressions on picking it up were that it felt very solid and well put together. And I'm used to German manufacturing/quality standards having had several VWs, an Audi, a BMW and a Porsche, so I think that's very positive and a pat on the back for GM.

I'm taking it for a run on Yas Marina F1 circuit tomorrow night, so if it falls apart I'll let you know...but I suspect it will be fine :-)

Have a good weekend everyone.

J.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #27
BEARS-SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
jezzaaa,
I'm guessing by your area (UAE) and your Oxford English, that you are not American. And judging by your statements (I have had a lot of performance cars...) that you're probably rich. The American muscle car isn't about cornering or handling, it's about raw unadulterated power. It's about horsepower, gas guzzling, and 1/4 runs. It's about sitting in the parking lot of your H.S. and all your friends wanting to pile into YOUR car. Ok, I may have gone too far, but still...the Camaro is an amazing buy at around 40K. But, if you want, go to Europe and spend that 40K on a couple Elise's or a Mercedes.

Bottom line: This car is not a Ferrari or Lamborghini.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #28
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
Dude, it's 3700+lbs, it handles great, what you're lacking is the feedback you would feel from a bmw or little porsche. Things that would improve feedback would be an aftermarket suspension setup, coilovers and sways. But you'll never get the complete sensitivity you're used to, you'll either have to get used to it or move to a different car.

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote