Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #211
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Thinking of doing this to my '11 inferno ls but had a question. I don't plan on painting these to match as I don't really mind the look of the lens but you mentioned bleed thru from the lights being so bright. What exactly should I be painting black in order to prevent that? Will I be forced to paint the entire lens anyway to prevent the bleed thru? It is hard to tell in your photos on post 1 what to paint to prevent this.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:30 AM   #212
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
So I figured I'd make some new side markers with the spare set I have. I have Showstoppers installed on my car. I'm making these for a good friend who has a black Camaro. Maybe the next set I make I'll use IOM or RJT for another buddies car. I'm gonna use a COB LED strip witch is cheap and really bright. I'm gonna ghost out the reflector so the side markers are completely black during the day.
Used 1000 grit sand paper to scuff them up. Then I masked off the area I don't want painted black.

Still have some more clear coating to do, and I found out I should've done the Nite Shades first then masked off over the Nite Shades then blacked out the bottom 3/4. Then cleared over that. For some reason the Nite Shades didn't cover well over the gloss black out part. Oh well trial and error. Will post up more picks when I'm done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
Old 05-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #213
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno LSX View Post
So I figured I'd make some new side markers with the spare set I have. I have Showstoppers installed on my car. I'm making these for a good friend who has a black Camaro. Maybe the next set I make I'll use IOM or RJT for another buddies car. I'm gonna use a COB LED strip witch is cheap and really bright. I'm gonna ghost out the reflector so the side markers are completely black during the day.
You painted them before opening them? Or are these pictures after you already put the LEDs in?
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #214
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
Thinking of doing this to my '11 inferno ls but had a question. I don't plan on painting these to match as I don't really mind the look of the lens but you mentioned bleed thru from the lights being so bright. What exactly should I be painting black in order to prevent that? Will I be forced to paint the entire lens anyway to prevent the bleed thru? It is hard to tell in your photos on post 1 what to paint to prevent this.

You'd want to paint the area not seen, after they're installed in the car. The edges of the sidemarker basically, all the way around them.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #215
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

I haven't cut them open yet. I'm only gonna cut open the top/side so I can slide the COB strip behind the the lens then I'll silicone the top/side. The COB is not flexible and it's water proof.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #216
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Sounds like it would difficult that way to place them exactly where they need to be and fasten them down. Plus, how will you run the wires? I'm not being negative here, just trying to understand it.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #217
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

DIY: LED SIDEMARKERS

I'll take pics. When I got my Showstopper ones that's how I saw they do theirs. It would seem faster and the lens will be stiffer than cutting the whole lens off. I hope to have some free time next week to finish.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #218
Ayuir
Army EOD Tech

Drives: 2014 BRM 2SS/RS
Well, no one's posted here for months. I just spent a few hours researching this mod, mostly looking for the LED strips with the LED spacing as close as possible for as little as possible. Figured I'd do my research now as I pick up my car in 17 days.

Radiantz 40 LED strips are running $35.00/ea
Radiantz 45 LED strips are running $37.61/ea
Radiantz dual element circuits run $4.00/ea. You'll need one for each marker you want to pull double duty as a blinker.
Found at: Radiantz.com Look for the Z-Flex lights on the menu at the left side, then make sure you look for the 1mm spacing LEDs.

If you don't mind a little soldering (and have really steady hands), Radiantz has kits in both amber and red of 1 foot lengths (plus 19" of tube and three feet of wire) for $59.99 each. If you don't mind the soldering that'll do both sides.

Oracle also has LED light strips that appear to be almost identical. Pairs of 4" strips in either amber or red run $45.00/pr. For the dual intensity circuit add $15.00.
Found at: http://oraclelights.com/automotive-l...cept-SMD-Strip

Not going to count paint/tape/etc in the anticipated cost as it's something I'll have around as "overhead".

I'll let you know how it goes in a few weeks once I get the chance to do it.
Ayuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #219
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
I definitely want to do this MOD at some point and have researched it a little. Mine are all painted and ready for the lighting but it'll probably be late winter, early spring before I can get it done. Life happens sometimes, just no getting around it.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #220
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

I'm not the best at painting and I kinda put this project on the shelf. This is where I'm at.
this is with the COB LED. This is a side by side comparison with the regular LED strip and the COB on the right.
The COB LED was waaaaay to hot, it would melt the side marker in minutes. So I'll have to figure out something else. The Radiants LEDs would work better. It was a lot easier to just cut along the top of the side marker and slide the LED inside.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #221
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
you mght wanna go with the aac strips as i just had a problem with radiantz getting warraty service on a row of 5 leds. they claimed if the 1ft strip of led is cut the warranty is void. they are meant to be cut and they include instructions for them to be cut.

easiest way i found to open them was with a plastic cutting knife for $3 at lowes. get some thin 3m double sided tape and gently press the leds onto it. i also used some clear epoxy along the led sides just ncase the 3m didnt hold.

i was also able to get 50 leds in the rear side markers and 40 amber up front..
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #222
linvol20

Drives: 2013
would it be safer to buy the specific leds rather than cutting the radiantz leds to the number i want?

Last edited by linvol20; 03-13-2015 at 04:24 AM.
linvol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:16 AM   #223
chevyboy01438

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Just curious if anyone tried a light tube with a led in the middle? Similar to the abl tubes on the interior.

11/30/17 | Club F1FTY
chevyboy01438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #224
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
The tubes are too thick (5mm) to fit in the marker. Also, you can't inject light from the middle. It would need to come from one, or, both ends.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote