Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Sperical rod sway bar end links noisy?

So looks like the only thing I have left to get from BMR is the sway bar end links. I kind of don't like that they are spherical rod end. I had some spherical rod end rear lower control arms in my 98 SS and they were pretty noisy. I know these won't take near the stress as a control arm, but i was wondering exactly how noisy they are or will get after prolonged use.

Any ideas?

Also are these just preventative so you don't bend the stockers or is there actually a handling improvement?
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I bumped two threads to the top of the suspension page for you.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I bumped two threads to the top of the suspension page for you.
I'm sure your stuff is great but I don't know if it's worth (to me) double the price of the competition. I don't want it to be noisy but I also don't want to spend that much on something that i might not see a real difference, so looks like i might keep the stock stuff for now.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I'm sure your stuff is great but I don't know if it's worth (to me) double the price of the competition. I don't want it to be noisy but I also don't want to spend that much on something that i might not see a real difference, so looks like i might keep the stock stuff for now.
I certainly understand the cost factor. Use you OE endlinks for now. If and when they wear out, you'll have a premium OE quiet option available through Pedders.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
So looks like the only thing I have left to get from BMR is the sway bar end links. I kind of don't like that they are spherical rod end. I had some spherical rod end rear lower control arms in my 98 SS and they were pretty noisy. I know these won't take near the stress as a control arm, but i was wondering exactly how noisy they are or will get after prolonged use.

Any ideas?

Also are these just preventative so you don't bend the stockers or is there actually a handling improvement?
When properly installed you should have no noise issues from the BMR or Pfadt rod end style end links. End links are a supporting mod or preventative measure, you are not going to notice much change in your handling.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 02-19-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I certainly understand the cost factor. Use you OE endlinks for now. If and when they wear out, you'll have a premium OE quiet option available through Pedders.
Will do. Thanks for the advice. I have just spent way too much in the last few weeks preparing for my car to get here.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:

Any ideas?

As Chase said, there should not be any concern when using endlinks with rod ends in them. A lot of the noise probability will depend on two things: 1) the quality of the bearing and 2) the increase in rate of the aftermarket sway bar.

Part of engineering improvements to the chassis is getting the right rate increase front to rear on the Camaro sway bars. As a result, the rate is increased a ton in the rear, and because the motion ratio is not advantageous (where the sway bar connects to the lower control arm, and acts upon it), the potential exists for a poorly designed aftermarket endlink to make noise.

As we have seen on the forums here, almost any noise issue can either be traced back to improper installation, or not enough torque on the endlinks themselves.

With that said, my feeling is that it is a good idea to upgrade if you already have aftermarket bars, but not mandatory. I would not be hesitant to upgrade simply because aftermarket manufacturers (including Pfadt) use spherical endlinks.

Hope that helps!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1227 View Post
Got the end links and my car is at the mechanic right now!
I cant wait to have a quiet ride again!!
I will post results when I get my baby back and test it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1227 View Post
Ok, they are in and so far the are awesome!!
I was all over it on my way home from the mechanic.
Hard turns, bumps, even train tracks, and NO banging and popping!!!
What a difference!
Now my SS handles great and still sounds like a new car.
Thanks for your help Pete.
When you buy a Pedders high efficiency endlink you buy with confidence. Yes we trade at a premium price, but we also guarantee you will be satisfied with our products. If our high efficiency endlinks do not perform as we say, I'll personally refund your money and you can keep the endlinks.