Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-06-2022, 07:28 AM   #1
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
ATE200 Or Valvoline Dot 4 Brake Fluid?

I am looking for a Brake Fluid that can handle a daily use and a couple Track days here and there. I use Valvoline Syn Dot 4 in all of my vehicles and Daily drivers ( Dirt Bikes/ATV's and Snowmobiles as well )and keep it on the shelf here with good luck.

I use RBF 600 in my Street bikes ( I have on shelf but it does not last as long )

I Used RBF 660 and Wilwood 600 in my last track car ( 3rd Gen Z28 ) and they worked well but are a bit pricey and need to be changed more often .

I am thinking of using ATE 200 in my 14 in the brakes and the Clutch, I'll probably change it out once a year unless needed sooner for some reason. The Clutch has remote Res so I will probably change that as needed doing a quick change.

Thoughts? Castrol is not in the plans at the moment unless I start tracking harder. The ATE I like because of price and I could use it in the rest of my fleet if needed as well.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Novices can abuse the brakes more than an advanced driver can. Most likely ATE will not be enough. While there are many variables that will dictate if this holds true or not, think of brake fluid as cheap insurance. That difference in cost between ATE and Castrol is minor compared to wadding up a car due to boiled fluid.

Castrol SRF, Brembo HTC64T
Old 01-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
My first session I about set the brakes on fire and I had just put new brakes on that were supposed to be street/track. Get a set of Hawks track pads or similar if you go to the track and Motul 660 or Castrol SRF, which is expensive but really good. If you plan on tracking it, I would really recommend the separate clutch reservoir.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I have a Separate Clutch Reservoir, I Could always Bleed the Brakes and put fresh fluid before a track event, I know running RBF full time it absorbed a lot of water and needs changing regularly, Would the ATE be good as a daily driver fluid?
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote