Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Body Panels

On my 94 the front fenders and the doors where not metal. Does anybody know if they are doing this with the 2010?
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
On my 94 the front fenders and the doors where not metal. Does anybody know if they are doing this with the 2010?
GM is getting away from the plastic body panels, Many owners of Foreign makes complained about the gaps required for the plastic because of heat expansion. Event he Saturns no longer use them. It is a shame because of the ease of replacement and cost is cheaper than for steal...
So I don;t think you will see any major plastic panels on the Camaro, unless they decide to make a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood...and that is a possibility.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
xl1200r

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
From what I've read, it will be an all steel body with the exception of an aluminum hood.
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by xl1200r View Post
From what I've read, it will be an all steel body with the exception of an aluminum hood.

Although I agree with Skyman08's statement, I would be one of those owners (well, I never officially complained but never liked the idea). IMVHO, the composite panels just gave me a sense of lesser quality - it felt cheap, like a Saturn. It was definately nice having lighter, dent-resistance, rust-resistant panels, but I never liked them. Having said that, I'm very happy the 5th Gen. will be all metal (except the facias), even at the expense of weight. I don't mind rocker moldings, mirrors, and spoilers being plastic (duh) but a metal door just sounds and feels better when I close it.

Again, JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
turbocrazy

Drives: Cadillac CTS & 2010 BLK SS/RS
Weighing in at 3860 I highly doubt anything is lightweight or plastic on the exterior of the camaro.
turbocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post

Although I agree with Skyman08's statement, I would be one of those owners (well, I never officially complained but never liked the idea). IMVHO, the composite panels just gave me a sense of lesser quality - it felt cheap, like a Saturn. It was definately nice having lighter, dent-resistance, rust-resistant panels, but I never liked them. Having said that, I'm very happy the 5th Gen. will be all metal (except the facias), even at the expense of weight. I don't mind rocker moldings, mirrors, and spoilers being plastic (duh) but a metal door just sounds and feels better when I close it.

Again, JMVHO.
I have owned 5 Saturns and 3 Fiero's, and one of my Fiero's went through a heck of a hail storm one time, I mean golf ball sized hailstones, and not one dent was left on it. (I can't say the same about my 96 Blazer after dime sized hail, $4,000 in damage). Also on my Saturns and fieros I never had one door ding. It was great. There were many more advantages to the plastic panels than disadvantages. You may have never liked them but many many owners of Saturns and Fieros would probably disagree with you...
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I have owned 5 Saturns and 3 Fiero's, and one of my Fiero's went through a heck of a hail storm one time, I mean golf ball sized hailstones, and not one dent was left on it. (I can't say the same about my 96 Blazer after dime sized hail, $4,000 in damage). Also on my Saturns and fieros I never had one door ding. It was great. There were many more advantages to the plastic panels than disadvantages. You may have never liked them but many many owners of Saturns and Fieros would probably disagree with you...
For your reasons exactly I do see a benefit - I just didn't like the feel Excellent points though and totally understandable. Another thing is I've seen so many panels deteriorate over time, I suppose from sun damage, neglect, and who knows how many other number of things. Metal just makes me feel better

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
It's all steel with the exception of the hood and that’s Aluminum.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
I hope the steel is a little thicker than the steel in the rear quarter panels on the 4th gens. You can be washing the car and lean over and feel the fender give in. And if another car door edge even touches the rear quarters on a 4th gen, you have a ding. I hate how thin that metal is.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
For your reasons exactly I do see a benefit - I just didn't like the feel Excellent points though and totally understandable. Another thing is I've seen so many panels deteriorate over time, I suppose from sun damage, neglect, and who knows how many other number of things. Metal just makes me feel better
Uh... can you say Rust? Get a metal panel scraped down through the paint and you have a good starting place for rust, also if a drain hole gets stopped up rust can develop from the inside without you even knowing until it breaks through... Many people with bad plastic panels would have been the same people not taking care of the metal panels on their cars and would have had rusty faded paint with lots of dents all over .. so I guess really it is a matter of perception, some people even thought my Sky had plastic panels. they thought since it was a Saturn they all were plastic. so just by viewing you cannot always tell what is plastic and what was metal. Many people didn't know the 4th gen Camaros and Firebirds doors and front fenders were plastic until you showed them....
Old 11-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
In my opinion the whole body should be aluminum. Lighter and no rust worries.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
In my opinion the whole body should be aluminum. Lighter and no rust worries.
That would be nice, but then again, the Camaro would be unaffordable for most people that want to buy it.

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #13
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I have kind of a love/hate relationship with the panels. Love that they don't dent, love the light weight of the doors on my 99TA and 2000 Vette. Hated the cheap feeling of that lightness sometimes though, hated having to worry about it cracking instead if something was misaligned... why you say? Hated how the door skin on both my 99 and also my sisters 94 Camaro peeled off eventually and had to be glued back together.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
In the event of an accident, I'll take steel over plastic or aluminum every time thank you.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote