Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
walky35

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Question Owned two months and second problem (need advice)

As of yesterday i started noticing a ticking sound coming from the engine area and since i know nothing of cars i took it to my local chevy dealership right away. From what i was informed the guy believes there is a crack in the exhaust manifold (or something along those lines) i believe he said something about the c5 coupling for you tech. guys.
Now there was another guy standing next to him and said i quote "im going to have to look that up but im almost certain its not covered under warranty". Does anyone know exactly if this is the case or not? What does the warranty cover? and if they try to pull something on me what do i do? (taking it in for work on wed)
Also this is the second time iv taken the car in in the last two months. its got 25k miles exactly on it and its a 2010 2SS is this about normal to be expected?

Thanks guys

Oh and for laughs a dealer walked out when i pulled up and i showed him the car and he said and i quote "oh thats nothing all the V8s make a ticking noise u prolly dont need anything looked at"
walky35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
If its a 2010, you are down to your powertrain warranty. Which may not cover anything outside the engine, trans, and rear end.

But, I have heard on this forum that they make a ticking noise, although Ive never heard it on mine.

Im sure someone else will chime in. Its pretty easy to determine if a manifold is cracked or not.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Warranty could be sketchy ... Did you buy it certified used? Any extended warranty ? If it's not covered, it would be a good time for headers ...
Old 06-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
walky35

Well they did open the hood and he got a good look at it. i believe the bumper to bumper might still be active. or its gonna be up soon as in a couple weeks.
if its not covered what can i expect on the price of of this?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
walky35

and im not sure what certified used really mean? it had one of those carfax things. and came from a reputable dealer not a mom and pop place if that helps. (sorry this is my first car iv bought)
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Hasn't there been discussion on lifter issues causing the ticking too? I don't own one, but I think I remember reading on here that others have had ticking lifters that were replaced under warranty..... or maybe I just dreamed that....
Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
Hasn't there been discussion on lifter issues causing the ticking too? I don't own one, but I think I remember reading on here that others have had ticking lifters that were replaced under warranty..... or maybe I just dreamed that....
Seems like I saw threads about this on the L99. OP, is yours an auto?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
I have a 2010 camaro 2SS and still have my factory Bumper 2 Bumper til next March or 36k miles...so it all depends when the car was originally purchased. If its the lifters ticking, It's common in a cold start-up on my L99. It goes away after driving for a little while.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
walky35

it is a L99 and in response to San2cci im gonna guess that its not the liffters ticking then because its actually the opposite taking effect. I cant hear it on a cold start-up but after driving it for around five min it really gets loud
Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
It goes away after they replace the lifters...the lifter tapping is just that...not a tic....and a new car shouldn't have lifters that tap ...mines a 2011 and had to have the lifters replaced.....I made a video and carried it to dealer....if that's the problem you should've had that fixed long ago...but...better late than never...good luck.....in the search engine type in ...tic tic tic...for more info
hunter1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
walky35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
It goes away after they replace the lifters...the lifter tapping is just that...not a tic....and a new car shouldn't have lifters that tap ...mines a 2011 and had to have the lifters replaced.....I made a video and carried it to dealer....if that's the problem you should've had that fixed long ago...but...better late than never...good luck.....in the search engine type in ...tic tic tic...for more info
i just bought it 2 months ago used. it had 22k miles on it and iv put on abt 3k and the tic tic just started so if it is the lifters this is the first iv heard of them. if its a crack in the manifold like the tech said he saw the lets hope im not out to much $$$$
Old 06-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Header time if they do not cover it - will be the least expensive option
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
walky35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
Header time if they do not cover it - will be the least expensive option
when u say that is it due to u expecting a price tag of over 1000$ for repair? because a good reliable set seems to be at least 1000$

kinda would like to know what im expecting in cost if its not covered b.c frankly id love a good excuse to get some headers but it would have to be close to expected value to pull that off
Old 06-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by walky35 View Post
As of yesterday i started noticing a ticking sound coming from the engine area and since i know nothing of cars i took it to my local chevy dealership right away. From what i was informed the guy believes there is a crack in the exhaust manifold (or something along those lines) i believe he said something about the c5 coupling for you tech. guys.
Now there was another guy standing next to him and said i quote "im going to have to look that up but im almost certain its not covered under warranty". Does anyone know exactly if this is the case or not? What does the warranty cover? and if they try to pull something on me what do i do? (taking it in for work on wed)
Also this is the second time iv taken the car in in the last two months. its got 25k miles exactly on it and its a 2010 2SS is this about normal to be expected?

Thanks guys

Oh and for laughs a dealer walked out when i pulled up and i showed him the car and he said and i quote "oh thats nothing all the V8s make a ticking noise u prolly dont need anything looked at"
Really sorry to hear of the ticking sound you're experiencing though I'm happy to hear you took it to the dealership for a diagnosis. I would definitely like to keep an eye on this for you if possible. Could you PM me and reference this thread when you get a chance?

Thanks,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care