Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Are these "ethanol free" gasolines better than Top Tier gas?
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
The government mandates the 15%, but car companies are warning they will NOT cover any problems under warranty caused by using >10% ethanol in their cars that require < 10% ethanol.

I already got a pressure washer and an older lawn mower that don't run right anymore by using friggin' ethanol gas.

Anyway, there's been some resistance to the 15% mandates. Don't know who's going to win that fight, but for the short term, I think we're all screwed on gas quality.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
BTW, SSBN625Starr, is that blue crew or gold crew? The USS Henry Clay, I mean. 616 Lafayette class. I'm only guessing but the SSBN625 part caught my eye.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
There is a Shell station near me that sells ethanol-free premium, but it says right by the pump "not a Shell product," so I worry about the quality of the gas, and I assume that means it's not a "top tier" product either.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee

Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Here is what ethanol can do to the fuel system.....Lovely isn't it.
Attached Images

2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
TN 2010 SS

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBN625Starr View Post
Can you give me the name of the station and location? Then I can add it to our list.

Sammy's One Stop Market
524 N Grundy Quarles Hwy
Gainesboro, TN 38562
TN 2010 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
SSBN625Starr

Drives: Inferno Orange Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN 2010 SS View Post
Sammy's One Stop Market
524 N Grundy Quarles Hwy
Gainesboro, TN 38562
Thanx! Your information has been included in our list!

http://www.dansstarrgems.com/93octanenoethanol.html
SSBN625Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #22
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
Are these "ethanol free" gasolines better than Top Tier gas?
"Top Tier" is more of a marketing ploy. In terms of substance, it doesn't mean very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Anyway, there's been some resistance to the 15% mandates. Don't know who's going to win that fight, but for the short term, I think we're all screwed on gas quality.
Regardless of who wins, I can guarantee you who will lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfield camaro View Post
All of you guys above are totally brainwashed morons! Other than poor economy when using E85 in a high performance car, ethanol is cheap horsepower. And don't give me that crap about your cheeseball lawn mower not running right on it. I've been running it since they started mixing it and haven't had any problems. I'm just sick of this total BS about ethanol! Go ahead and shovel your money to Big Oil!
E85 costs significantly more to run per mile than gasoline, even despite ethanol being heavily subsidized, while gas is heavily taxed. I won't tell you about my "cheeseball" lawn mower that doesn't run well on it, but I will tell you about my Oldsmobile that doesn't run well on it.

I find it not just amazing, but insulting to my intelligence how we are being told that we are the ones being "brainwashed" by those who would happily pull up to the pump, and for 5-10% less money per gallon, put 30% less energy per gallon into their tanks while shortening the life of significant components of their car, and think they are somehow coming out ahead just because some nice TV ads with pleasant music and stimulating colors and graphics put out by the corn growers associations, along with always honest politicians who never have ulterior, self serving motives, say so.

You're either scientifically, economically, and politically naive, or personally benefiting from the ethanol mandate. Given your location, and that you are so defensive to the mere notion that us lowly individuals be given a choice of what to run in our own cars, suggests the latter. If you think ethanol is the best thing ever, go ahead and use it yourself. No one is stopping you from doing so. I just wish I could say the same for the rest of us who are not only being force fed this crap against our wills, but being forced to pay for it, both at the pump, and in subsidies as well.

Quote:
If it's corrosive it's METHANOL! As I speak there are 3 dirt modifieds (650hp at 2350#, a big handful on a half mile dirt track, they all run on methanol) a supercharged Camaro and a 11 sec. Grand National in my shop. The GN is darn close to box stock and has been on E85 for about 4 yrs. The mods we drain the carbs and fill them with wd40 if they're going to sit for awhile. E85 has been in the GN all the time since I put it in.
That's all well and good for your race cars, but most of us don't drive race cars...i.e. our engines don't require $8+ race fuel, and have to serve longer than 20 hours of operation between rebuilds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Yeah, tell me about gas refineries. One or two shut down for maintenance and gas goes up 30 cents! Now do they really think people are going to drive less or are they making the motorists pay for their plant maintenance. Big Oil has you well indoctrinated, Jersey Dude! If you really work at a refinery, tell they don't mix ethanol with the crappiest gas!

gas never spikes 30 cents on scheduled refinery shutdowns. anymore strawmen? look, it's obvious you have some vested interest in the corn/ethanol industry. you could at least level with people.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
gas never spikes 30 cents on scheduled refinery shutdowns. anymore strawmen? look, it's obvious you have some vested interest in the corn/ethanol industry. you could at least level with people.
It actually went from $3.79 to $4.19 here last week, and the jump is being attributed to a refinery shutdown in Chicago for maintenance: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...ices-minnesota

A similar event happened about a year ago: http://www.winonadailynews.com/news/...a4bcf887a.html

I think it's clear that Cornfield Camaro has an agenda WRT ethanol--and I wonder how his opinion would change if/when production becomes more cellulosic/sugar cane based rather than corn based--but on that one point, it appears he is correct.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
Most refineries don't shut down just to do maintance. Unless they are very small refineries! They will overhaul one operating unit at a time. On an refinery emergancy shutdown. Say for a fire. Prices will spike because gasoline is a a traded comodity. Speculation on wall street drives the price of gasoline more than supply and demand.
Well if the links I posted before didn't convince you, here's another one: http://m.qctimes.com/news/local/gas-...ile_touch=true

Not just one, but several refineries are closed or have reduced production due to maintenance.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #26
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
Prices will spike because gasoline is a a traded comodity. Speculation on wall street drives the price of gasoline more than supply and demand.
BINGO. In the last 10 years, and particularly in the last 5, the price of gas and oil has become more and more disconnected from the reality of supply and demand, and more based on the day trading and Wall Street paper pushing and positioning. That's a big reason why prices at the pump are the same now as in 2008, despite oil being $50 a barrel less. Today, over twice as much oil and gas trades occur among various "funds" and banks than between those who actually produce, distribute, and sell the fuel. It used to be that speculative interests rode the market, but today, they are the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Not just one, but several refineries are closed or have reduced production due to maintenance.
I think bluebeast is closer to the truth than the refinery issue. Blaming refinery shutdowns is an easy knee-jerk reaction by lazy reporters who need to fill up their pages before deadline time. The main issue is much more complicated and harder to nail down precisely. The fact is, refineries have operated in a similar manner for decades, and never until very recently did minor, temporary glitches cause 90 cent a gallon run-ups in a single week like happened in the Minneapolis area last week, and in California last fall. (That's about what the entire wholesale price of it was just 4 years ago). The way the fuel is produced and distributed has not changed. The way it is traded on paper and priced (not to mention the value of the dollars you are trying to purchase it with) is what has.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #27
911medic

Hmmm. The lazy reporting theory I might be able to buy--although it means there's apparently widespread lazy reporters as this is being reported across multiple outlets from different states--but the vast price-fixing conspiracy? Not buying it.

"Yeah, we'll raise prices 40 cents/gallon overnight and blame it on refinery maintenance! What a perfect scheme! No one will suspect a thing!"

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of the oil/gas companies, and I am willing to admit the fluctuations in gas prices as travel holidays approach, etc., are shady at best, but it's ridiculous to think they just decided to raise prices so noticeably just for price-fixing profit.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #28
cornfield camaro

Drives: 2011 l99
If you own a flexfuel vehicle, do the math on E85 vs 87 octane now!
cornfield camaro is offline   Reply With Quote