Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #57
CamaroSS24
Ford Convert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Yellow/RS pk
One other Q, Moose. If that is your real name

It's not strictly detailing, but since we are close I figured you'd know. I am looking for a good window tint place that does great work, uses good product, and backs up their stuff. Have any on a short list?

Thanks again - I'm shopping on Zaino right now for towels.
ORDERED: April 15, 2009 Est. Delivery: August, 2009?

CamaroSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #58
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Ed
Thanks for the infor on the windows, it works great. I have one more coat of Zaino and it will have 3 coats then I will use the enhancer. That stuff is amazing. I have noticed now that bugs just wipe off and it appears clean again.

The question I have is how often do I need to wash this car. It is garage kept, never drove in the rain, and really since the few bugs I get on it just wipe off the only thing is dust, but it is wipe off daily so there is not alot of that either, you the car cover alot so really not what you would say is dirty. And the last one is after you wash it do I need to do the Zaino three steps again. Thanks John
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #59
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS24 View Post
One other Q, Moose. If that is your real name

It's not strictly detailing, but since we are close I figured you'd know. I am looking for a good window tint place that does great work, uses good product, and backs up their stuff. Have any on a short list?

Thanks again - I'm shopping on Zaino right now for towels.
My real name is Ed.

As for a window tinting place, my brother had his previous car done here;

http://www.smokinmoe.com/

They did a decent job.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #60
CamaroSS24
Ford Convert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Yellow/RS pk
I know, I just couldn't resist! Thanks for the info - I'll check out the site. By the way, my bucket of Zaino stuff is coming. Even the bucket. I'm an easy mark.
ORDERED: April 15, 2009 Est. Delivery: August, 2009?

CamaroSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #61
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
Ed
Thanks for the infor on the windows, it works great. I have one more coat of Zaino and it will have 3 coats then I will use the enhancer. That stuff is amazing. I have noticed now that bugs just wipe off and it appears clean again.

The question I have is how often do I need to wash this car. It is garage kept, never drove in the rain, and really since the few bugs I get on it just wipe off the only thing is dust, but it is wipe off daily so there is not alot of that either, you the car cover alot so really not what you would say is dirty. And the last one is after you wash it do I need to do the Zaino three steps again. Thanks John
Hey John! Happy to read you're happy using Zaino.

Now, after washing, you DO NOT need to add any polish. The Zaino ca wash adds some shine and protection, as well as cleaning.

A good "rule of thumb" is, polish every 6 mo. for daily driver, once a year for "garage kept". Zaino's durability is amazing.

My SS is garage kept/not a daily driver. I'll wash it on average, once a week, adding a coat of Zaino "for the heck of it" now and then. You can't add too much.

As for wiping it down, I'd say, if the dust is very faint, you should be OK. Anything more, and be safe and wash it.

Hope that answered your questions? If not, please let me know.

Ed
Old 07-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #62
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Ed,
As always I really appreciate your information and help, only have a little more to go 1 more caot tonight then the interior gets a good cleaning. I'll post some new pics when she is finished.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #63
Camaro007

Drives: 2SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
What towels are you using in polish removal and drying?
I purchased the towels from Zaino Blonde Borderfree Towel (3 pack) I also purchased multiple Microfiber Towel from HVC industries. They are Zaino distirbutor. They are 100% microfiber and are an 80/20 composition. They are sewn on the edges with microfiber edging to protect against scratching. I have always waxed in up /down and front to back. I also dry that way. What do you think?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #64
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro007 View Post
I purchased the towels from Zaino Blonde Borderfree Towel (3 pack) I also purchased multiple Microfiber Towel from HVC industries. They are Zaino distirbutor. They are 100% microfiber and are an 80/20 composition. They are sewn on the edges with microfiber edging to protect against scratching. I have always waxed in up /down and front to back. I also dry that way. What do you think?
I think you're doing it exactly how you should.

I've used microfiber in the past, but if I had the choice of using it, or the "blond towels", I'd opt for the blond towels, both for polish removal and drying.

I currently use microfiber for deatiling/cleaning interior surfaces, occassionaly on wheels for polish removal, glass, for polish removal of door jambs, etc.

Hope that answered your question?

Ed
Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #65
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
I've never owned a black car but I am leaning in that direction for the new Camaro. Stupid question alert! Is it really that much more work involved in keeping a black car clean? I know it seems to show every little thing and I've often wondered if it would be worth owning a black car after hearing how much of a pain it was to keep them clean but you can't beat a black car when it's freshly cleaned. Thanks in advance for any input.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #66
Camaro007

Drives: 2SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I think you're doing it exactly how you should.

I've used microfiber in the past, but if I had the choice of using it, or the "blond towels", I'd opt for the blond towels, both for polish removal and drying.

I currently use microfiber for deatiling/cleaning interior surfaces, occassionaly on wheels for polish removal, glass, for polish removal of door jambs, etc.

Hope that answered your question?

Ed

Ed,
thanks for the info. The problem is when I was using the blonde one it showed
the screeches that why I went with the micro fiber.

Bill
Old 07-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #67
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_Killer View Post
I've never owned a black car but I am leaning in that direction for the new Camaro. Stupid question alert! Is it really that much more work involved in keeping a black car clean? I know it seems to show every little thing and I've often wondered if it would be worth owning a black car after hearing how much of a pain it was to keep them clean but you can't beat a black car when it's freshly cleaned. Thanks in advance for any input.
Quick answer; Black is tough!

That being said, when clean, its one of the baddest looking colors.

IMO, the "trick" is getting the paint properly protected, ie; a good wax/polish. Starting with this as "a base", will make owning a black car much easier.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #68
Analogy

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
Hi Ed,

I have a black SS and I knew it was going to be a pain to keep clean, but damn I didn't know this bad

Anyways my question: Is it terrible for the paint to spot clean dust off w/a microfiber towel and some windex that does not include pneumonia(sp?).

Ordered 1SS/RS 3-2-09 1100
2000 4-24-09
2500 4-29-09
3000 4-30-09
3300 5-22-09
Analogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #69
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogy View Post
Hi Ed,

I have a black SS and I knew it was going to be a pain to keep clean, but damn I didn't know this bad

Anyways my question: Is it terrible for the paint to spot clean dust off w/a microfiber towel and some windex that does not include pneumonia(sp?).
Yes! Black is tough. But damn if it doesn't look GREAT when clean.

Regarding your "spot cleaning" question, I wouldn't do it.

If you need to; wipe off some bugs, dirt, etc., or need to do a quick detailing, I'd strongly suggest getting a spray detailer/wax and use that as opposed to Windex.

Also, NEVER "spot clean" if the paint is in the sun, and/or warm/hot.

Be very careful spot cleaning. You can end up causing yourself more headaches and more work.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #70
jayzwife

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS
Thanks for the education. I do have one question for you. The dealership did a lousy job of cleaning the windows and now they look really spotty, like the worst water spots I have ever seen. How can I get them off, so my car looks perfect? Thanks for the help.
jayzwife is offline   Reply With Quote