Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Plasti-dipped front upper and lower fascia

Just got done plasti-dipping my front fascias. What can I say...the stuff is addicting. I'm a university professor, so that's why I have all the time to do this stuff...summers off

Anyway, sellers on ebay wanted about $60 for the vinyl overlays and you can' fix vinyl after stone chips. My car is a daily driver; unfortunately, I had a lot of rock chips. It was just a matter of time before the vinyl would have been all chipped up. Then it would have looked like crap.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the end result. Essentially, I achieved the same result as the vinyl without spending $60...and, I can repair the look if/when it gets chipped up. When I need to redo it I'm sure I'll do better job because I'm a little better with taping and spraying now than a few days ago. Taping is a pain. Just like others have said the trick is spraying one really thick coat (evenly of course) and then peeling off the tape immediately to give you a straight line. I think the car looks meaner than before. I'm glad I did it. The front bowtie is off in the after pics because I'm redoing it. I wasn't happy with the result. I want it to look better.

Here's the car yesterday:

Here's the car this morning:

Last edited by skirush; 07-12-2013 at 09:11 AM.
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
pmandeep

Drives: 2013 VR 2LT/RS
Looking Nice!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
EXCELLENT!!! I'm doing same thing as soon as my splitter gets here - how many coats and does it look uniform? - from here it looks great....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
+1 I'm looking to do this. Just bought a case of the spray to do it but I'm skeered!!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
skirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
EXCELLENT!!! I'm doing same thing as soon as my splitter gets here - how many coats and does it look uniform? - from here it looks great....
Well...it depends on what part you're talking about. I did the top and the bottom differently. I did the lower first. The lines were pretty much just straight. So, I taped it then applied 5 coats. Then, I hit it with 3 coats of glossifier. We I removed the tape, it came off pretty well on the visible parts, but on the bottom there were 2 tiny parts that are not visible (underneath the car) that were not exactly razor sharp.

The upper fascia would be completely visible so I wanted the line to be really sharp. So, I googled how to make a sharp line with plasti dip and found a vid on their website that said you spray one thick coat and they you have to remove the tape right away to get a real sharp line. Oh...that made sense. I wish I googled it before doing the bottom.

Therefore, the upper part (below the headlights) is one really thick coat. Both look the same though. If anything the top looks better. You can't really tell a difference beween how "deep" or uniform either one looks. The line for the top did come out good. There tip worked well.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
skirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkngldbabe View Post
+1 I'm looking to do this. Just bought a case of the spray to do it but I'm skeered!!
That's funny because I was really scared too. Once you use it, you'll see how easy to use it is...and addicting. I'm actually looking to do my mirrors maybe.

I have Turtle wax bug and tar remover and a microfiber sponge to remove any over spray...it works fantastic. Wipes it right off. So, no reason to be scared.

I hightly recommend using plasti dip over vinyl for these parts.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
Well...it depends on what part you're talking about. I did the top and the bottom differently. I did the lower first. The lines were pretty much just straight. So, I taped it then applied 5 coats. Then, I hit it with 3 coats of glossifier. We I removed the tape, it came off pretty well on the visible parts, but on the bottom there were 2 tiny parts that are not visible (underneath the car) that were not exactly razor sharp.

The upper fascia would be completely visible so I wanted the line to be really sharp. So, I googled how to make a sharp line with plasti dip and found a vid on their website that said you spray one thick coat and they you have to remove the tape right away to get a real sharp line. Oh...that made sense. I wish I googled it before doing the bottom.

Therefore, the upper part (below the headlights) is one really thick coat. Both look the same though. If anything the top looks better. You can't really tell a difference beween how "deep" or uniform either one looks. The line for the top did come out good. There tip worked well.

A person that googles to solve his problem than just asking more questions...refreshing...thanks ....looks clean and since the top is horizontal , I'm sure it'll hold.....plastidip told me how well things hold on the front is how much the surface is prepped...alcohol and acetone wipes for me......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
I did one wheel (my winters lol which are factory as well) just to see how it worked and if I liked it. My honey did the Grille for his Jeep wrangler and we are going to do his fender flares soon. I'm thinking of hood spears and 1LE Hash marks too.