Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #1
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
Upgrade from ZL1 Shifter to MGW?

I asked about this on the 1LE site, but only one response.

Has anyone upgraded fro the ZL1 shifter to the MGW? If so, was it worth it?

I believe the throw is only slightly shorter on the MGW, so just trying to decide if it is worth upgrading in consideration to feel and noise differences. I would keep the stock knob and boot.

Thanks!
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
I upgraded with the Hurst ST with extreme duty bushings.....one of the best things I did on the ZL1.....MGW....would also be a great upgrade.

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
I did my research on here and online about which shifter to go with. I chose the Hurst over the MGW. I just like the old school look and feel to the knob. I also got the heavy duty bushings and have been extremely pleased with it. I track my ZL1 and it has been fun with this true short throw shifter.

I didn't get to actually try the MGW, so I can't say it is worth the extra dollars.

I'm not sure I even answered your question, but maybe there aren't a lot of people here who have the MGW?

Good luck.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
USMUCL

Thanks for the input. I love the "click" of the Hurst, but I'm not a fan of the non-OEM look, nor do I care for the rattle that many (but not all) make.

Yet to read a single negative thing about the MGW, which seems to be a very popular upgrade for the regular SS guys.

Just not sure whether it is much of an improvement for the 1LE/ZL1 shifter in consideration to the cost and time to install (and warranty headaches, if any). I'm also curious as to noise -- everyone reports the MGW is quiet, but I'm not sure if that is relative to other aftermarket shifters versus OEM. On the 1LE side, one guy reports he thought it more quiet than OEM, which surprised me.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
MGW is 33% that is quite a bit of reduction I am not sure in a driver you would want more. I guess just like louder is always better to some maybe shorter is always better to some.

the MGW is s superior piece in terms of precision shift no doubt about it. I have never driven one that was 100% noise free though. it is not "bad" but under extreme load there is some more noise usually.

hurst vs mgw is kind of an apples vs oranges comparison. one is complete replacement assembley and one is shifter. I thought you could get a handle for the stock knob as well at one point so make sure you ask around to see that this is not an option.

I stayed stock though 100% noise free and I don't miss gears. If my car was track only I would roll the MGW for sure. the hurst is good shifter too though I don't mind the way it feels.

don't forget to look at barton as well I think they have factor knob provisions. it is like 46% but I have never driven one so read up on it. they have the shortest advertised throw but I have no seat time with one.

from my perspective shifters are so easy to change it does not bother me to try one out if I want to.

I think the hurst would be quiter in my gut though if you look at it from an engineering perspective. they are replacing less pieces of the entire assmbly and useing a teflon pivot ball. The same way the MGW replaces the whole unit so they have dealt with play and flex in more ways than the hurst.

MGW 33%
hurst 40%
barton 46%

I would litterally look around you local area to try to find someone with one. the feel of a shifter or sound of an exhaust etc is subjective not everyone likes the same thing
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned

Last edited by hognutz; 10-07-2014 at 09:49 AM.
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
USMUCL

Good info, thanks.

Though, I would offer the complaints about noise from the Hurst far, far outnumber the complaints about MGW noise (I could only find one post who said the MGW was anything but quiet).

Also, the throw % reductions you cite are reductions from the factory SS shifter, I believe. The 1LE/ZL1 already has a 22% reduction over the factory SS, right?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
Dplenzig

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 1971 Camaro
I love my MGW, probably one of the best upgrades I did. The stock feels like mush compared to the MGW.
Dplenzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMUCL View Post
Good info, thanks.

Though, I would offer the complaints about noise from the Hurst far, far outnumber the complaints about MGW noise (I could only find one post who said the MGW was anything but quiet).

Also, the throw % reductions you cite are reductions from the factory SS shifter, I believe. The 1LE/ZL1 already has a 22% reduction over the factory SS, right?

yeah your proabably right on throw because these were all designed as SS replacement they most likely are quoting SS numbers. the only SS's I have ever driven had the factory hurst which is proabably different again.

I know the hurst in my last mustang was quiter than the MGW in the Z06 I drove but you really need seat time in the same car.

I personal don't have any back to back between hurst in 2010+ and MGW in a 2010+ but someone on here should have owned both.

I found this thread it states 22% for factory hurst and Zl1.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339148
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
USMUCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
That's a good thread, one I hadn't seen.

At least that confirms the MGW is shorter than the ZL1/1LE: 22% vs. 33%. Would it convey more noise? Like you said, probably hard to say without a figurative side-by-side comparison.

Folks sure do love their MGWs though . . .
Old 10-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
I asked about this on the 1LE site, but only one response.

Has anyone upgraded fro the ZL1 shifter to the MGW? If so, was it worth it?

I believe the throw is only slightly shorter on the MGW, so just trying to decide if it is worth upgrading in consideration to feel and noise differences. I would keep the stock knob and boot.

Thanks!

I had a 2013 1/LE and even know it has the same shifter as my ZL1....shifts are quit different. The shifting preciseness in the 1/LE is marginal, shifted good overall but lacks the crispness and precision of the ZL1. This is so because of the obvious beefier drivetrain in the ZL1 I would assume. With that said I would definitely upgraded my 1/LE to the MGW if I would of kept it longer , I had it in my 2010 Shelby and it's the best after market shifter I have ever had. Precise as ever, crisp, no slop or rattling... I have Also had Hurst shifters in past mustang's and even though they weren't camaros, the two I did have rattled and drove me nuts, cause of this I've sworn off Hurst pretty much forever.
Having a ZL1 now I would never change the shifter, I feel it's the best shifter and best shifting car I have ever owned.... with my past mgw I had in my Shelb as a very close second..
So my opinion since you have a 1/LE
go for the MGW, it sounds like you want to.. You won't be disappointed!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
USMUCL

I do want to! LOL.

But, I don't want to spend $350 smackers, and a Saturday afternoon installing, only to find out the shifting improvement is marginal and the noise transmission is noticiably worse. I'm also still hung up on the matter of whether I want to start feeding the mod bug or stay stock.

I'm pretty sure the ZL1 and 1LE are the same shifter set up. Not sure why you would feel such a difference between the two (aside from your driveline theory) -- might have been just differences in the crap shoot that is OEM tolerances. But, I certainly appreciate and heavily consider your experience.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
Joker853

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
+1 for the Barton, I LOVE mine
CAI Cold Air Intake
Barton Short-throw Shifter
JRE Custom Tune w/ Diablosport Trinity
SLP Front Splitter
Joker853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
I do want to! LOL.

But, I don't want to spend $350 smackers, and a Saturday afternoon installing, only to find out the shifting improvement is marginal and the noise transmission is noticiably worse. I'm also still hung up on the matter of whether I want to start feeding the mod bug or stay stock.

I'm pretty sure the ZL1 and 1LE are the same shifter set up. Not sure why you would feel such a difference between the two (aside from your driveline theory) -- might have been just differences in the crap shoot that is OEM tolerances. But, I certainly appreciate and heavily consider your experience.
It is very different! The shifters themselves are the same yes (boot, knob, handle, etc.. )but because of different transmission and guts of the cars it's honestly like night and day..
Any other owners of both would quickly agree but don't take my word for it ....go test a ZL1 and It will be obvious....
If 350 bucks for a new shifter will strain you to much then easy decision, keep what you got, it's not that bad of a shifter to justify the new one..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
PonyKiller74

Drives: 2012 Triple Black ZL1 M6
Send a message via AIM to PonyKiller74 Send a message via Yahoo to PonyKiller74
I had the MGW in my SS and loved it. I just installed a MGW on my Z and I think it has even improved since my last and I love it. the 2 different style handles for whatever grip you want to use whether stock grip or aftermarket. I installed the stock kit with a custom painted knob from Phastek and it such a smooth and comfortable combination.
CenterForce DYAD Dual Disc Clutch, JDP stage 2 Clutch Reservoir, Rotofab CF CAI with Big Gulp and WW Reservoir Relocate, Stainess Works LT Headers and Retro Cat-Back with Cat Delete, MGW ST Shifter with custom Knob, CF Tail light Bezels, more to come...
Build Thread for my Z is in the works.....
PonyKiller74 is offline   Reply With Quote